What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2012-13 Bubble Watch

Finally repped you for all your coverage on this CVille. Looking forward to hopefully meeting you when I get out to VA. Lord knows, I do plan to bring my kids to Charlottesville to see the campus and take in a game.

The twins are so in to basketball now, we couldn't have been luckier to be moving to a basketball hot bed where I can take them to all sorts of games.

Sorry for the semi-jack....yeah, right....:lol:

It's not just the bubble that's weak. As mediocre as some of the teams on the 12-line will be, it won't be much of a surprise if they knock off a couple 5 seeds. I wouldn't even bat an eye if, for example, a team like Villanova beat a team like Memphis.

Very true. Weak year overall might be the best way to sum it up. But hey, the parody will likely make for absolute mayhem in the Dance.

Finally repped you for all your coverage on this CVille. Looking forward to hopefully meeting you when I get out to VA. Lord knows, I do plan to bring my kids to Charlottesville to see the campus and take in a game.

The twins are so in to basketball now, we couldn't have been luckier to be moving to a basketball hot bed where I can take them to all sorts of games.

Sorry for the semi-jack....yeah, right....:lol:

Good luck with the move! And yes, contact me if you have any questions. I know the Commonwealth (get used to calling VA that, we aren't a "state" :lol:) like the back of my hand. I'll give you all the lowdown on places to take the kids, etc. And yes, the Charlottesville area is a must. Absolutely gorgeous and full of things to do.

And no finer place to be into basketball than ACC country! And if they are into football, the area you'll be living in is absolutely top notch for high school football.

UNLV comes back to defeat Boise State in Las Vegas. Boise drops to 20-9 (8-7). Boise is still "in" for now, even with the loss, IMO. Huge upcoming home game for them against San Diego State to close out the regular season. If Boise wins that, they should be feeling quite good about their chances of getting in. Lose, and they probably need to do some damage in the MWC Tournament.

Wednesday's bubble games:

Georgetown at Villanova: Villanova 18-12 (9-8) RPI 55. Good wins: Louisville, Syracuse, Marquette, UConn. Bad Losses: Columbia, Seton Hall. Heading into this game, Nova is right on the line, probably just in (Lunardi's 2nd to last team in). Huge opportunity with a home game against Georgetown to punch their ticket after 2 straight losses. If they lose, they'll need to do some damage in the Big East Tournament.

Oklahoma State at Iowa State: Iowa State 19-10 (9-7) RPI 53. Good wins: Kansas State, Oklahoma. Bad losses: Texas Tech, Texas. As it stands, they're likely just on the right side of things (Lunardi's 4th to last team in). A home win over Oklahoma State would probably punch their ticket. One remaining game after this, a tricky RPI land mine @ West Virginia.

North Carolina at Maryland: Maryland 20-9 (8-8) RPI 71. Good wins: Duke, NC State. Bad losses: Georgia Tech, Boston College. Maryland needs to beat the Heels at home, and then finish the regular season with a win @ Virginia to have any real chance of getting in. The record looks decent, but there's no "pretty good wins". They've got those couple good wins and then essentially a bunch of garbage, not to mention two recent bad losses. They finish strong and they can sneak in (currently Lunardi's 5th team out).

Temple at Fordham: Temple 21-8 (9-5) RPI 42. Good wins: Temple is on a roll, with 5 straight wins to likely put them in as it stands now, albeit barely (Lunardi's 3rd to last team in). Good wins: Saint Louis, La Salle, Villanova. Bad losses: Duquesne, St. Bonaventure, Canisius. A loss to lowly Fordham would be devastating. After this, they finish the regular season with a huge home game against VCU that gives them a chance to punch their ticket (if they beat Fordham first).

George Washington at La Salle: La Salle 20-7 (10-4) RPI 44. Good wins: VCU, Butler, Villanova. Bad losses: Central Connecticut State. La Salle needs to take care of business in this one, as their final regular season game is @ Saint Louis. If they beat George Washington, they'll stay on the right side of things even with a loss @ Saint Louis. Lose both, and things will start to get dicey.

Tennessee at Auburn: Tennessee 17-11 (9-7) RPI 56. Good wins: Florida, Wichita State, Kentucky. Bad losses: Georgia-x-2. As it stands, the Vols are right on the line (Lunardi's last team in). A loss to Auburn would be devastating and pop their bubble. If beat Auburn, and then beat Missouri in Knoxville to end the regular season, they'll be in pretty good shape.

West Virginia at Oklahoma: Oklahoma 19-9 (10-6) RPI 24. Good wins: Kansas, Oklahoma State. Bad losses: Texas. Sooners are in great shape to make the Dance. Only way to put them in danger is collapse: home loss to West Virginia, then going and losing at TCU, then taking a bad loss in Big XII Tournament. One more win and they're a lock.

And, not related to Wednesday, but two teams that have been coming on strong and are now lurking on the fringe of the bubble: Iowa and Providence. If they keep winning and go deep into their conference tournaments, they'll have a puncher's chance. Real darkhorses though.

Last edited:
Good luck with the move! And yes, contact me if you have any questions. I know the Commonwealth (get used to calling VA that, we aren't a "state" :lol:) like the back of my hand. I'll give you all the lowdown on places to take the kids, etc. And yes, the Charlottesville area is a must. Absolutely gorgeous and full of things to do.

And no finer place to be into basketball than ACC country! And if they are into football, the area you'll be living in is absolutely top notch for high school football.

I notice you didn't mention ACC football. :lol:

Maryland loses to North Carolina. This keeps Maryland on the outside. Hard to see them getting in, but a win at Virginia and a strong ACC tournament could still potentially do it if they got a lot of help.

Temple takes care of lowly Fordham. Keeps them on the right side of things heading into their final regular season game against VCU

Iowa State beats Oklahoma St, this likely punches their ticket

Villanova beats Geoegetown, this likely punches their ticket

Not a bubble game, but Georgia Tech won at Miami. They'll be lucky to hold a 2 seed now, likely a 3 unless they have a really strong ACC Tournament. IMO.

It's almost like someone here was saying that Miami would start falling apart. Oh, wait, that was me :thumbsup:

Thursday's bubble games:

Our Buffs have a HUGE game against Oregon at the Keg. We're trying to lock up the Dance bid (one more win likely does it) and this would be another solid win for the resume to help our seeding. With Washington now 9-8, we're also trying to avoid falling behind them in the seeding for the Pac-12 tournament.

Virginia at Florida State: Virginia 20-9 (10-6) RPI 63. You know the deal, some very impressive wins (including Duke last week), but then the Hoos turned around and lost by 1 at Boston College to add yet another bad loss. In order to be in solid shape, Virginia needs to win these last two regular season games: @Florida State, Maryland at home. If they go 1-1, they'll need to do some damage and go deep in the ACC tournament. This is an absolutely critical game for the Wahoos. They run a serious risk of being snubbed like CU was in 2011. Truly an enigmatic team (as shown by Lunardi have them an 11 seed with a bye, and Palm saying they're a fringe bubble team with little chance of getting in)

Kentucky at Georgia: Kentucky 20-9 (11-5) RPI 52. As it stands, Kentucky is right on the line (Lunardi's 1st team OUT). This is an absolute must-win for them, especially after losing at Arkansas in their previous game. A sub-100 loss to Georgia would be devastating to their hopes. After this, they finish with Florida at Rupp. Better not get caught looking ahead.

Last edited:
Updated ESPN Bubble Watch

Buffs still in the "Teams That Should Be In" category. Let's lock it up boys and girls!! I guess they look at a different RPI, because our RPI is not 30, nor has it ever been, according to the 3 sites I look at. It has been in the 20s for weeks, including 28th right now. And yes, that does matter. Also, this was posted today, yet he states UCLA is 12-4. Someone obviously didn't stay up late enough to see UCLA get the snot knocked out of them by Wazzu. They're 12-5.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bubblewatch?id=148

Colorado [19-9 (9-7), RPI: 30, SOS: 19] Colorado isn't held to as high a standard as UCLA, and there are some crucial distinctions (one is 12-4 in league play, the other is 9-7, for starters). But the similarities are there, too: The computer numbers are all pretty close, and it's not an exaggeration to say Colorado would have also swept Arizona were it not for Sabatino Chen's incredibly close late 3 being waved off at the buzzer in Tucson. And yet, the Buffaloes are hovering around a No. 10 seed in most projections, while UCLA is typically slotted several seeds higher. I'm not sure the gap should be so wide.

Last edited:
Updated ESPN Bubble Watch

Buffs still in the "Teams That Should Be In" category. Let's lock it up boys and girls!! I guess they look at a different RPI, because our RPI is not 30, nor has it ever been, according to the 3 sites I look at. It has been in the 20s for weeks, including 28th right now. And yes, that does matter. Also, this was posted today, yet he states UCLA is 12-4. Someone obviously didn't stay up late enough to see UCLA get the snot knocked out of them by Wazzu. They're 12-5.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/bubblewatch?id=148

He does mention the UCLA loss to Wazzu in the first paragraph, just didn't update the conference record in the Colorado spot.

He does mention the UCLA loss to Wazzu in the first paragraph, just didn't update the conference record in the Colorado spot.

Yes, I saw that. He clearly wrote the CU portion beforehand. Point being, it further reiterates that there's really no reason for UCLA to be floating 3 or 4 seeds higher than CU in most projections.

Virginia falls at Florida State, 53-51 on a Snaer shot with 4 seconds left. Virginia now 20-10 (10-7). This isn't the end for them, but they'll need to beat Maryland at home and then likely win a game or two in the ACC Tournament.

Kentucky going down at Georgia. Wildcats will fall to 20-10 (11-6). Bad loss, this will really hurt their chances (they were right on the line, Lunardi's first team OUT heading into this). Their last remaining game is Florida in Lexington. Must-win for Kentucky. That simple.

LA Tech lost at NM State.

Meaningless if LA Tech wins the WAC tourney. But could be huge if they're upset. Not a bad loss, but any loss against their schedule could keep them from being a bubble buster. The WAC is not a 2-bid league.

LA Tech lost at NM State.

Meaningless if LA Tech wins the WAC tourney. But could be huge if they're upset. Not a bad loss, but any loss against their schedule could keep them from being a bubble buster. The WAC is not a 2-bid league.

It also means that Denver-La Tech is for the WAC title on Saturday(?). Go Pios. How great would it be for Denver to join the tournament party with CU and CSU. And may Air Force can go on a tear in the MWC tourney.

Creighton beat Drake (15-17) in workmanlike fashion, eventually winning by 12. Not a win that adds to the resume, but it avoids a loss they maybe couldn't afford.

Looks like Akron is going down to Kent State (Akron PG out after 5lbs. bud bust)

This will keep the MAC to a 1-bid league. I was afraid that Akron would make the finals, Ohio would beat them, and they'd get 2 in.

Lordy, lordy. Kanzazz at bailer. I can't bring myself to root for either one no matter what it means for the Buffs, so I think I'll just direct a fart in the direction of the tv.

I suppose, tho, that a bailer win would mean more for our rpi than a gheysquawk win......

Bubble watch for Saturday:

Florida at Kentucky: Kentucky 20-10 (11-6) RPI 54. Kentucky has taken two straight losses, including a bad loss at Georgia in their most recent game. They're on the outside right now. This is pretty simple: a win puts them in the field. A loss, and it is desperation, with a minimum of making the SEC Tournament final required.

Providence at UConn: Providence 17-12 (9-8) RPI 79. Providence has crept on to the fringe of the bubble after winning 7/8. There are a lot of holes in their resume, but if they win at UConn and then go deep in the Big East Tournament, they have a chance. No margin for error here.

La Salle at Saint Louis: La Salle 21-7 (11-4) RPI 40. La Salle is definitely "in" right now, but not much wiggle room (likely 12 seed at the moment) A win at Saint Louis would lock it up. A loss won't do much damage, but if they got their doors blown off and then took a horrible lost in their first game of the A-10 Tournament, they could be in trouble and fall out.

Ole Miss at LSU: Ole Miss 22-8 (11-6) RPI 57. Ole Miss is right on the line (Lunardi's first team out). They lack any solid wins other than Missouri, and have bad recent losses to South Carolina and Mississippi State. This is a must win for the Rebs. Win, and then a decent SEC Tournament, and they can sneak in. Lose to LSU, and their hopes are likely done (and frankly, it's amazing we're still talking about them right on the line after that horrendous loss to Mississippi State).

Iowa State at West Virginia: Iowa State 20-10 (10-7) RPI 50. The Cyclones took a big step forward with a win over Oklahoma State in their last game. They're definitely "in" as it stands, but by no means a lock with this RPI land mine at WVU next up. A loss to a bad West Virginia team would be very damaging. ISU wins at WVU, and they're likely safe. But a loss at WVU followed by a loss in their first Big XII Tournament game could easily potentially put them on the outside looking in.

Nebraska at Iowa: Iowa 19-11 (8-9) RPI 76. Iowa has crept to almost .500 in the toughest conference, that's why they're here. Like Providence, they've crept to the fringes of the bubble. Iowa's only chance is to beat Nebraska and then proceed deep into the B1G Tournament. Even then, it's a long shot.

San Diego State at Boise State: Boise State 20-9 (8-7) RPI 43. Boise State is likely "in" right now, although just barely (Lunardi's 2nd to last team in). They choked away a game at UNLV that would have likely punched their ticket. This is a golden chance for them: San Diego State at home. Win, and their Dance ticket is punched. Lose, and they likely fall right on to the outside of the line and need to do damage in the MWC Tournament.

Georgia at Alabama: Alabama 19-11 (11-6) RPI 65. Alabama blew golden chances to win at Florida and Ole Miss. As it stands, they're on the outside (Lunardi's 2nd team out). Tide has to beat Georgia, a win that won't do much, and then go deep into the SEC Tournament in order to sneak in.

South Florida at Cincinnati: Cincinnati 20-10 (8-9) RPI 46. Cincinnati is falling apart, losing 4/5, 6/8. They're still definitely in. However, a home loss to a horrible South Florida team would spell trouble. However, the only chance of Cincinnati falling out is to lose to South Florida, and then take another bad loss in their first Big East Tournament game as they have no bad losses to this point, despite all their struggles.

Missouri at Tennessee: Tennessee 18-11 (10-7) RPI 56. Tennessee is right on the line (Lunardi's last team IN). They held the line by winning at lowly Auburn in their last game. Needless to say, Missouri is a HUGE game for them as it would be a quality win and likely ensure that they're "in" heading into the SEC Tournament. This is quite simply one of these win and you're likely in (baring an SEC Tournament disaster loss). A loss means they'll need to go deep in the SEC Tournament to get in.

Arizona State at Arizona: Arizona State 20-10 (9-8) RPI 96. I don't see it, but Lunardi has the Devils as his 5th team out still. Any chance they have involves winning at Arizona, and then drawing the highest ranked RPI opponents possible and making it all the way to the Pac-12 Tournament Final. If there was ever a year for a lower RPI team to get an at-large than the previous record (67, USC 2011) this is the year, but sitting at 96 in March is simply NOT a good place to be. Total fringe team, at best. IMO. Regardless of what Lunardi says.

UCLA at Washington: Washington 17-13 (9-8) RPI 86. Another total long shot. Washington would need to beat UCLA, and then make it all the way to the Pac-12 Tournament Final to have ANY chance. And that likely wouldn't even be nearly enough.

Kansas at Baylor: Baylor 17-13 (8-9) RPI 72. Baylor has been a disaster over the last month +, but with this weak bubble, they STILL have a chance (Lunardi's 4th team out). A win over Kansas might very well save their season and allow them to sneak in if they have a halfway decent Big XII Tournament. Don't count on it, though. But, the chance is there. Golden opportunity for Baylor.

Central Florida at Southern Miss: Southern Miss 22-8 (11-4) RPI 37. Southern Miss has the most ridiculously inflated RPI of all (they have no good wins) and just took a horrible loss at Marshall. However, in this weak bubble, they're still hanging around (Lunardi's 3rd team out). It would be simply unreal if Southern Miss slipped in the tournament without a true quality win (they have a bunch of fringe top 100 wins as their "quality") and if they meet and beat Memphis they'll get an auto-bid (they'd only meet in the C-USA Tournament Final).

Belmont vs Murray State (OVC Tournament Final: Nashville). Belmont 25-6 (14-2) RPI 22. Belmont has a host of top 100 wins (although nothing special), and their RPI is ridiculously high. However, they have a few sub-100 losses (although most are to fringe top 100 teams). Still, the meat just isn't there with any truly quality wins. That RPI sure is awfully high though. Doubt they get in if they lose to Murray State, but stranger things have happened.

Last edited:
BYU falls to 16-17 San Diego. That should end all talk of BYU, who had an RPI of 60 coming in to go with their 21 wins (against no one).

Should help Stanford move up in RPI, too. Pac-12 with 6 dance cards this year?

BYU falls to 16-17 San Diego. That should end all talk of BYU, who had an RPI of 60 coming in to go with their 21 wins (against no one).

Should help Stanford move up in RPI, too. Pac-12 with 6 dance cards this year?

BYU is toast.

Stanford is definitely still a long shot (RPI 62 now), but a strong Pac-12 Tournament could just do the trick with some luck.

Btw, non bubble related, but did you see Loyola Marymount knocked off Santa Clara? (who entered 21-10 with a top 100 RPI?). Loyola Marymount entered the WCC tournament 8-22 (1-15) with 14 straight losses. Now they've won 3 straight in the WCC Tournament, knocking off Portland, San Francisco, and Santa Clara. They now face Gonzaga in the Semifinals tomorrow. Unreal.

Back