What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2013-14 Coaching Carousel Thread

I'm not saying he's not a racist. I'm saying that he's a blowhard who thinks he runs the AD and he's pissed that he wasn't the decision maker (or, even consulted) on this hire. And he's doing what he does best - ranting and raving to anyone who will listen to him.

I get the blowhard bit, but I think his choices of words in demeaning CS that far is a bit of a red flag.

Racism was my first thought. Charlie Strong is a highly successful head coach at a BCS program. And this guy is saying he's not even qualified to be a head coach--that he needs to work for someone else?

If not race, then what? He's a successful ****ing head coach for Christ's sake!

He didn't say, "well, he's a great head coach, but I don't like him for this job because..." He said he's only qualified to work for someone else, despite glaring evidence that he's successful in the HC role.

It's kinda weird, no?
Remember when Charlie Strong (allegedly) wasn't getting consideration because his wife is white?

:smile2:

Most overrated coach in the country.
Bill OB was overrated if you ask me. I actually think he'll do fine at Houston. But look who he beat at PSU, his record is better than he actually did (he lost to the likes of UVA, Ohio, UCF - yeah they were good this year but still not a team PSU would traditionally lose to, Indiana, and Minnesota). His best victory in two years was probably an overrated at the time, Michigan team at home.

O'Brien walked into a ****show and somehow got people talking more about on-field play than the other stuff. He recruited arguably the best young QB in the country to Penn State while big penalties loomed over the program. Pretty damn good IMO.

O'Brien walked into a ****show and somehow got people talking more about on-field play than the other stuff. He recruited arguably the best young QB in the country to Penn State while big penalties loomed over the program. Pretty damn good IMO.
He did a good job, but it's not as good as I believe as it's being made out to be. I gave my reasons why. Also the B1G has sucked recently, not his fault. I don't think there were too many if any games, where he wasn't favored to win and did. Maybe Michigan this year, but again they weren't as good as we thought.

My point is you are focusing on the on-field play. One could argue that was the least of PSU's worries when he took over.

My point is you are focusing on the on-field play. One could argue that was the least of PSU's worries when he took over.
Well yeah at the end of the day, you have to perform on the field. Yes, I know the challenges they faced. If he had gone 8-16, no one would care about the "challenges" he was facing. I just think people are overrating him.

...not sure that makes him a racist. I have never met Red, nor do I know much about him, but form the little I do know, I think it was motivated by his fury at being excluded from the hiring process. He is a big cigar down there and views the AD as one of his rightful spheres of influence.

I guess little Lord Fauntleroy was wrong.

Semper Gumby

I agree, but examine again how his anger manifested itself. Who knows what drove his remarks (aside from feeling left out). I'm not in his head, but racism was still my first thought, right or wrong.

What does Red think of Gran Torino?

I think his quote, in part, is a reaction to not being part of the "process." The AD formed a committee (strangely enough, the exact same committee members that found/hired the AD). Then, the committee never actually met. The AD found his guy and hired him. Red is butthurt that his cigar wasn't smoked, if you know what I mean.

I think its this. Being shut out pissed him off more than the actual hire. Plus he wanted to buy a Pete Carroll or Jim Harbaugh.

According to Orangebloods, there's a good chance Shawn Watson follows Strong to Texas as OC, if Watson doesn't get the HC job at L'ville, or anywhere else.

Saw a thread on Rivals with UT fans already grumbling about Strong probably bringing most of his staff from L'ville.

What was funny is USC fans chiming in with how they're pissed about Sarkisian doing the same thing.

According to Orangebloods, there's a good chance Shawn Watson follows Strong to Texas as OC, if Watson doesn't get the HC job at L'ville, or anywhere else.

Saw a thread on Rivals with UT fans already grumbling about Strong probably bringing most of his staff from L'ville.

What was funny is USC fans chiming in with how they're pissed about Sarkisian doing the same thing.

And how CU fans did the same thing a year ago. :smile2:

Oh wait, we're still not relevant. :cry:

[Insert obligatory hot VB player joke here] BP would be the play if I was the Louisville AD. Let the Sparkles to Western Kentucky rumors begin.....

I know he's almost guaranteed to win games, but after leaving his last 3 jobs unceremoniously, I dunno, Petrino's just bad news imo.

Ha! Lombardi just had a story on McElwain being mentioned for the Louisville job.

Ha! Lombardi just had a story on McElwain being mentioned for the Louisville job.
Saw another story earlier where Jurich wasn't considering him because of the respect he has for CSU/Jack Graham. You know how Jurich was once AD at CSU? Not saying the story is right, just saying it would make sense.

I like Strong a lot but I think Petrino is the better CFB coach.

I wish we had some Louisville luck.

I get the blowhard bit, but I think his choices of words in demeaning CS that far is a bit of a red flag.

I abhor the "everything is racist" PC mindset that has become far too prevalent in this country.

My initial reaction to Red McComb's comments about Charlie Strong was, "Man, that guy is a racist."

I abhor the "everything is racist" PC mindset that has become far too prevalent in this country.

My initial reaction to Red McComb's comments about Charlie Strong was, "Man, that guy is a racist."
Fair or unfair, those kind of comments as well as Dee Dee Bonner (or McCarron -- she uses that one as her Twitter handle) are going to be construed as racist when discussing a black figure.

Back