What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2014 MBB Coaching Carousel

Nothing will really change at VT until they improve facilities.

Mick Cronin has turned down Illinois, NC State and Minnesota. If you aren't going to leave for those places you aren't leaving for Blacksburg. He's a Cincinnati guy through and through.

this. Johnson was the straw that broke Greenberg's back -- JJ left VT for the same money and same title at Clemson. the AD asked why, JJ said "because SG's impossible to work for". But never mind assistant coaching changes, VT was also leading the ACC in player transfers during SG's tenure.

Hokie could probably speak to this better than I could, but the (old) AD talked about how he didn't like the fact that assistant coaches were leaving on a consistent basis and for what he considered lateral moves. Like James Johnson went to Clemson and then returned to VT after Greenberg was fired.

I think it was one of those, they weren't just happy going to the NIT and thought they could go to the NCAAs on a more regular basis.

this. Johnson was the straw that broke Greenberg's back -- JJ left VT for the same money and same title at Clemson. the AD asked why, JJ said "because SG's impossible to work for". But never mind assistant coaching changes, VT was also leading the ACC in player transfers during SG's tenure.
Do you think it was a bad move firing SG that looks bad in retrospect, because they didn't get a good hire?

What about those 2 guys that are starting at Louisville and Florida, did they leave under Seth or JJ?

It was terrible timing. The signing period was underway and all other major conference coaching changes were done. So, to answer your question, yes, it was a bad decision to fire SG without a "better" candidate lined up.
Do you think it was a bad move firing SG that looks bad in retrospect, because they didn't get a good hire?

Finney-Smith (UF) left during the change (VT's historical only 5* recruit). Hiring JJ was supposed to be a mitigation to keep him with Greenburg going. Harrell never played for VT -- he was committed but left after SG's firing.

What about those 2 guys that are starting at Louisville and Florida, did they leave under Seth or JJ?

I would be surprised if a Cronin went from Cincinnati to VT but maybe now that Babcock is their AD he could convince Cronin to come join him.

The Babcock connection is what my friend referenced. Of that list, Lonergan is what he expected.

If Cincy ends up with an opening, I put my money on Mike Bohn hiring Mike Rohn.

Key word in your post is "when". Seth got fired in late April -- you're right, at that point there was nobody available.

message board speculation also includes Ben Howland (I'm sure you Pac guys have something to offer on that note), Buzz Williams (not happening on VT's hoops budget) and Russell Turner (UC-Irvine, never heard of this guy before today). Of course, most of us spoiled VT fans want Shaka Smart (VCU). Haven't heard Kellogg.
Pretty sure Kellogg played at Umass when Marcus Camby was there, not 100% on that but pretty damn sure.

I'm not trying to knock on VT because I'm a Hoo, but if I'm an A10 coach with a successful program like Dayton or George Washington, I'd think long and hard about taking over VT unless there is a serious commitment shown to facility upgrades. George Washington's coach graduated from Radford High, so they may have a way in there, but this is going to be a tough sell for VT. They have neglected everything except football.

I'm not trying to knock on VT because I'm a Hoo, but if I'm an A10 coach with a successful program like Dayton or George Washington, I'd think long and hard about taking over VT unless there is a serious commitment shown to facility upgrades. George Washington's coach graduated from Radford High, so they may have a way in there, but this is going to be a tough sell for VT. They have neglected everything except football.

I believe you're thinking of Mike Young of Wofford who is a graduate of Radford High. I've seen him mentioned as a possible candidate

I believe you're thinking of Mike Young of Wofford who is a graduate of Radford High. I've seen him mentioned as a possible candidate

That's right. I'm on my phone so was going off the top of my head. They could land Mike Young but I know the fans want their sights set higher. I'd just remind VT fans a lot of UVA fans had no idea who Tony Bennett was when he was hired, you don't exactly get heavy Wazzu coverage here. Tubby was the fan preference.

Last edited:
That's right. I'm on my phone so was going off the top of my head. They could land Mike Young but I know the fans want their sights set higher. I'd just remind VT fans a lot of UVA fans had no idea who Tony Bennett was when he was hired, you don't exactly get heavy Wazzu coverage here.
They thought they were hiring an octogenarian singer to coach?

There was some concern because he was 82 at the time, but his hit "The Best is Yet to Come" sold it.

Did you hear Vitale yesterday tell the story about when UVA's Tony Bennett met THE Tony Bennett at an airport?

I guess when they were introduced, THE was asked if he'd ever met anyone with his name before. He said 'yes'... she was a Vegas stripper and spelled it Toni. :lol:

Did you hear Vitale yesterday tell the story about when UVA's Tony Bennett met THE Tony Bennett at an airport?

I guess when they were introduced, THE was asked if he'd ever met anyone with his name before. He said 'yes'... she was a Vegas stripper and spelled it Toni. :lol:
I posted it earlier, I'll post it again:
[video=youtube;jygFPKYZbms]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jygFPKYZbms[/video]

If I'm VT, I go after Larry Eustachy. He'd be a fantastic fit. He's an Ag school guy, from Utah State, Iowa State, Southern Miss and Colorado State. Anyone who can get Iowa State to an Elite Eight, build Southern Miss from nothing into a 9 seed in the Big Dance while working out of a trailer as an office post Katrina, and get CSU to the Round of 32 is one of the very few guys who can get VT out of this mess and back to respectability. VT's current state of affairs with no talent and neglected facilities is something that wouldn't phase him. And unlike a scumbag like Bruce Pearl who will never change, Eustachy doesn't really bring baggage..it's clear he has completely changed and that incident was over a decade ago.

Last edited:
If I'm VT, I go after Larry Eustachy. He'd be a fantastic fit. He's an Ag school guy, from Utah State, Iowa State, Southern Miss and Colorado State. Anyone who can get Iowa State to an Elite Eight, build Southern Miss from nothing into a 9 seed in the Big Dance while working out of a trailer as an office post Katrina, and get CSU to the Round of 32 is one of the very few guys who can get VT out of this mess and back to respectability. VT's current state of affairs with no talent and neglected facilities is something that wouldn't phase him. And unlike a scumbag like Bruce Pearl who will never change, Eustachy doesn't really bring baggage..it's clear he has completely changed and that incident was over a decade ago.

I really like Eustachy as a coach for what he's able to do wherever he goes. I think there's a chance we could see him in conference next year at a certain ag school.

I really like Eustachy as a coach for what he's able to do wherever he goes. I think there's a chance we could see him in conference next year at a certain ag school.

He'd be a great fit there for the same reasons. VT should waste no time. Stop fantasizing about Shaka Smart and Gregg Marshall (Marshall is a Virginian who graduated from Cave Spring HS in Roanoke) and make a move for Eustachy before another power conference school does. Given VT's current state of affairs, any other power conference school would be more attractive. They aren't going to win battles for a head coach. Need to move fast, or else it's going to be a guy from a minor conference (We know that can work out well, but it's an immense gamble) or someone with baggage far worse than Eustachy's.

I'd have no issue with Eustachy. What he's done at ISU and CSU is impressive. We played CSU last year in an early season tourney (I think) and his comments about VT were very gracious.

Agree with Cville -- VT has positioned themselves as a football school. We're not going to attract any big name coach. Beyond that, I've seen no signs the administration or boosters are committed to spending the money on an ACC caliber coach. sucks, but gives me more time to follow the Buffs.

I still would like to know what he said to his players that night after the Missouri loss -- "you guys sucked so bad, I'm going to hang with them!"

It doesn't look like their facilities are bad at all because they just built a 49K square-foot basketball facility less than 5 years ago:

August 10, 2009 marked a huge day for the men's and women's basketball programs at Virginia Tech, as both moved into the new $21 million practice facility adjacent to the east side of Cassell Coliseum. The 49,000 square-foot facility, designed by Cannon Design out of Baltimore and built by Whiting Turner out of Charlotte, was started in April of 2008.

http://www.hokiesports.com/facilities/hahnhurst.html#prettyPhoto

Pearl's a good coach.

I'm not sure that Auburn would look at what he did as "wrong". Built a program with the help of a bunch of secondary violations to boost recruiting and then lied about it to the NCAA. That's just standard practice. Auburn folks are likely looking down their noses at the folks at Tennessee for not being good enough to protect a successful coach from that kind of minor crap.

I'm not really sure why Eucstacy would want to leave CSU for VT. He's got a pretty good gig in Ft. Collins right now. I'm not saying he wouldn't jump, but I would imagine it would have to be a better job than VT.

I'm not really sure why Eucstacy would want to leave CSU for VT. He's got a pretty good gig in Ft. Collins right now. I'm not saying he wouldn't jump, but I would imagine it would have to be a better job than VT.

I could think of two or three jobs that could come available in the Pac-12 in the next year or 2 that he would probably prefer to VT.

I could see Eucstacy holding out for a better gig.

Back