What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2014 MBB Coaching Carousel

Buzz Williams leaves Marquette for VA Tech. Bit of a headscrather there. He had a loaded class coming in.

Pretty good hire for VT. He took Marquette to 5 straight tournaments including 2 Sweet 16's and an Elite 8

Buzz Williams leaves Marquette for VA Tech. Bit of a headscrather there. He had a loaded class coming in.

I would guess he was a little concerned about his coaching stock with the Big East losing several competitive teams yet the Eagles still had a down year. Another year of not meeting the lofty expectations he himself set there and the bigger conference teams may not come calling as frequently. CVille or Hokie could probably speak to what high school talent is in that region but you get DC plus several prep schools and play in the ACC, so that is something.

CVille or Hokie could probably speak to what high school talent is in that region but you get DC plus several prep schools and play in the ACC, so that is something.

There is a ton of HS talent in southern Virginia in the Tidewater area and Richmond plus Blacksburg is right on the border with North Carolina. Probably a lot easier to get that talent admitted to VA Tech than to UVA.

I would guess he was a little concerned about his coaching stock with the Big East losing several competitive teams yet the Eagles still had a down year. Another year of not meeting the lofty expectations he himself set there and the bigger conference teams may not come calling as frequently. CVille or Hokie could probably speak to what high school talent is in that region but you get DC plus several prep schools and play in the ACC, so that is something.

It's a bit of a head scratcher. I personally hate the guy, so he'll fit right in. Virginia has good talent, especially in the tidewater and you've got powerhouse boarding schools like Oak Hill that draw kids from all over. However, if you're a top player you're going to go to a blueblood like UNC (Heels are constantly raiding VA) or an upcoming program like UVA. UVA's basketball facilities (and basically everyone else in the ACC, too) are so above and beyond VT's right now, it's not even funny.

Last edited:
There is a ton of HS talent in southern Virginia in the Tidewater area and Richmond plus Blacksburg is right on the border with North Carolina. Probably a lot easier to get that talent admitted to VA Tech than to UVA.

A VT guy I work with said that the previous mess with Greenberg, JJ, and the previous AD burned some bridges with in-state recruiting. Not sure how true this is, CVille can probably shed more light.

A VT guy I work with said that the previous mess with Greenberg, JJ, and the previous AD burned some bridges with in-state recruiting. Not sure how true this is, CVille can probably shed more light.

Seth was still landing some nice VA talent even at the end (like Dorian Finney Smith). But JJ was just a disaster all around. It's a hard time to get your head above water with UVA and VCU being what they are, along with the usual suspects like UNC poaching VA.

It's a bit of a head scratcher. I personally hate the guy, so he'll fit right in. Virginia has good talent, especially in the tidewater and you've got powerhouse boarding schools like Oak Hill that draw kids from all over. However, if you're a top player you're going to go to a blueblood like UNC (Heels are constantly raiding VA) or UVA. UVA's basketball facilities (and basically everyone else in the ACC, too) are so above and beyond VT's right now, it's not even funny.

CVille, why do you say that about VT's facilities? They just built a new basketball practice facility about 5 years ago that looks on par with what we have, if not nicer. I realize their basketball arena is old and not that big but I've heard it can be a good environment when they fill the place.

CVille, why do you say that about VT's facilities? They just built a new basketball practice facility about 5 years ago that looks on par with what we have, if not nicer. I realize their basketball arena is old and not that big but I've heard it can be a good environment when they fill the place.

Cassell is an absolute dump. Needs to be gutted. VCU's Segal Center is nicer and VCU is about to expand it.

Last edited:
How do CUs basketball facilities compare to Virginia

UVA's JPJ is just ridiculously nice, it makes the Dean Dome and Rupp practically seem old and ****ty in comparison (maybe UK has done something to Rupp since I was last there). CU took a huge step forward with the practice facility, but we won't be in the same league unless we do some serious renovations on the Keg

The practice facility doesn't attract recruits when the stadium is a POS. not sure about Jj, but at one point Greenberg stopped practicing there because the court was too different from cassell's.

Excited about the hire and starting the celebration NOW!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The practice facility doesn't attract recruits when the stadium is a POS. not sure about Jj, but at one point Greenberg stopped practicing there because the court was too different from cassell's.

Excited about the hire and starting the celebration NOW!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. He'll improve VT for sure (although this will test anyone's rebuild abilities)
2. I already hate him for his obnoxious dancing, etc. Now I get to ramp it up a few more notches. Bennett vs Buzz...Good vs Evil ;)

ESPN is reporting that Jim Calhoun has interest in Boston College.
I put up the link on the page before. I remember him saying last year, he still had the coaching itch. You can tell he misses it when he's at UConn games. I think if Kevin Ollie hadn't worked out at UConn, he might've gotten his old job back. It could be a Larry Brown situation at BC, get a strong assistant who could eventually replace him. Plus he stays in the region. I know he's a big Red Sox fan as well.

Calhoun will be 72 in May and he's had some major health issues. Calhoun hung around a year too long, he needed to leave UConn in 2011. He's got resentment at how things ended, clearly viewing potentially leading BC back from oblivion as a last way to go out "on top". Not sure I'd take that route if I'm BC, but it would be insane to have Krzyzewski, Boeheim, Petino, Calhoun and Roy Williams all in the same conference. Add in younger guys like Bennett, Buzz Williams and Jamie Dixon and damn....not to mention Hamilton and Larranaga.

Don't get Buzz going to VT at all.....if he wanted to go ACC wouldn't Wake Forest have been a better job?

In a weird way, Buzz's antics and personality fit VT quite well. He had the fortune of walking into a Marquette program that was already firing on all cylinders. We'll see if he's cut out for the ultimate rebuilding job. My guess is he succeeds, even if it's in his usual detestable fashion.

I saw a tweet to that effect earlier. Don't remember by who. It also said "Interest is not mutual".

Right move by BC. Hiring a 72 year old with questionable health who stays for 3 years is not what they need unless they groomed a young assistant to take the reigns.

Agree you could make that case. It could be he had enough of religious-based private schools. Could be he thinks he has a better chance of out-recruiting Bennet in VA than Williams and K in NC.

Don't get Buzz going to VT at all.....if he wanted to go ACC wouldn't Wake Forest have been a better job?

Right move by BC. Hiring a 72 year old with questionable health who stays for 3 years is not what they need unless they groomed a young assistant to take the reigns.

Calhoun on a short timeline = as dirty as recruiting and player management can get

Would that really be the worst thing for BC at this stage?

Calhoun on a short timeline = as dirty as recruiting and player management can get

Considering how things went with Dennis Erickson at ASU and what happened once he left... worth the risk? Some guys are known to be crooked but they win instantly and get away with whatever they're doing.

I'm not sure any program in a major conference should take on a situation like Calhoun. Sure, it gets BC some media coverage and maybe boosts their miserable attendance a bit, so maybe it's worth it. From a long term standpoint, hiring Calhoun doesn't do much for the program. Even if he finds success for a year and doesn't get you shackled with numerous crippling NCAA violations, 3 years later you're back to square one being an irrelevant program looking for a solution. It's a quick fix, a band aid, a massive gamble. Better off doing some homework and making a smart hire that can find success and coach for a decade at BC. What's concerning is Donahue was a solid hire. I know he was there for 4 years and this year was a massive disappointment (BC should have been pushing for the bubble, not winning 8 games) but I wonder if they should have held off on pulling the trigger and given him another year or two to really build a program.

Last edited:
http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bas...6/marquette-golden-eagles-contact-ben-howland

Multiple sources close to Howland told ESPN that he is "extremely interested" in the Marquette opening.

Sources told ESPN.com that Syracuse coach-in-waiting Mike Hopkins and former Marquette player and assistant Brian Wardle, who is currently the head coach at Green Bay, are also in the mix. Dayton's Archie Miller has also emerged as a candidate, according to sources.
When there's a major opening, it's hard not to see Mike Hopkins name in it.

Rumor has it that Shaka Smart will be the next coach at Marquette. I like Buzz, but damn.... great job Marquette.

Back