What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2015 Colorado Spring Game Info & Roll call

I wanted to be impressed. I wanted to see players making plays. Aside from the pick 6 and the long run, there wasn't any of that.

Again, are there specific things that you were discouraged with? I'm not disagreeing with you, but I would like to have a discussion about this and "I wanted to be impressed" and "I wanted to see players making plays" don't really add value.

For example...

I was encouraged with: Witherspoon's pick 6, Carrell's play up front, Devin Ross' consistent ability stretch the field and make plays, Laguda's ability to play CB, Crawley's potential "shutdown" ability, Jimmy Gilbert in the Oklahoma drills, and Phillip Lindsay's running.

I was discouraged with: Yuri Wright's constant knack for getting burned, lack of anything resembling pass catching TE, the QB position (Sefo looked average, Gherke was much worse, and Apsay didn't get to throw a pass).

I say all these things with the understanding that what we will see in week 1 in Hawaii will resemble absolutely nothing to what we saw yesterday.

I wanted to be impressed. I wanted to see players making plays. Aside from the pick 6 and the long run, there wasn't any of that.

Get a hold of yourself, man!

You need the "Airplane" treatment, the one where everybody lines up to slap that hysterical woman, including the nun with the bat!

Staged for TV, the best yesterday's effort did was keep injuries to a minimum and showcase the two little RBs. Split squad, with mix and match lines, didn't do anything to show off anybody, except Evans and Lindsay. I left bored, knowing that 3 highly rated RBs won't be here til fall and that nobody threw to any TE; I wanted to see if Center could catch and run.

Wow, underwhelmed by the format, but certainly not discouraged; was no better nor worse than many of the past 30 or so I've attended.

I guess we need to keep telling ourselves, the 2013/14 season has only been over about 3 1/2 months. How much change can we expect in that short time? I am disappointed in some of the players that we did not see last year because of injury, RS or just did not see play time. I was expecting those players to be in better shape and showing some desire to earn starting positions. Seems as though our roster has some Pac starters then a pretty good drop off ???
As I stated earlier, these guys need to take the summer serious and hit the weights and film rooms. They really need to develop a competition from within to push each other for starting positions. seem really thin at LB, QB, WR, RB - That is all your Key positions. If one player goes down in any of those, we are furked again.
You need to step back from the ledge. What players are you talking about dissapointing you? Who wasn't in-shape? Who isn't showing desire to earn a starting position?

We were depleted at WR and RB this spring cause of injures, cause more walk on's to get reps. Some guys were sitting out because of a small off - field incident.

Not on the ledge. Just placing my observations out there. Without naming names. some guys need to hit the weights Big Time.

I'll try.

Encouraging: Witherspoon's pick six. Lindsay's running. The Black team OL seemed to be getting a good push on running plays. Conversely, the White team DL seemed to be getting a decent pass rush.

Discouraging: Sefo - seemed entirely average. Powell was ineffective. Garcia frightens me. Watanabe appears to be grossly out of shape. Overall team speed doesn't seem to have improved much.

Again, are there specific things that you were discouraged with? I'm not disagreeing with you, but I would like to have a discussion about this and "I wanted to be impressed" and "I wanted to see players making plays" don't really add value.

For example...

I was encouraged with: Witherspoon's pick 6, Carrell's play up front, Devin Ross' consistent ability stretch the field and make plays, Laguda's ability to play CB, Crawley's potential "shutdown" ability, Jimmy Gilbert in the Oklahoma drills, and Phillip Lindsay's running.

I was discouraged with: Yuri Wright's constant knack for getting burned, lack of anything resembling pass catching TE, the QB position (Sefo looked average, Gherke was much worse, and Apsay didn't get to throw a pass).

I say all these things with the understanding that what we will see in week 1 in Hawaii will resemble absolutely nothing to what we saw yesterday.
geez, you becoming tini is just a joy to watch.

I only got to see the game on the PAC 12 network. I was discouraged by the missed assignments on what should be vanilla plays. I also recognize that my opinion is colored by the past seasons hype and our underperformance following said hype.

I want to believe, but have become a bit cynical.

Not on the ledge. Just placing my observations out there. Without naming names. some guys need to hit the weights Big Time.
Why wouldn't you name names? Just using a drive by statement saying you were disappointed by some without naming anyone is odd.

geez, you becoming tini is just a joy to watch.

I don't know what you mean by that.

Yes, I'm an eternal optimist when it comes to CU football, but I also don't believe I'm off base with the things I've said about some of the over reaction from a Spring Game scrimmage. I was simply trying to invoke a discussion on the things we saw yesterday, rather than blanket statements about how this team looks 3 1/2 months removed from a 2-10 season.

Do you have any original thoughts on what you saw yesterday?

This is Allbuffs. The first line was sufficient. You're welcome.

You sound like the US Dept of Labor guy I dealt with on a "maximum hours" dispute: When I asked him to specify what regulation he claimed was violated, he slapped his hand on top of the CFR volume containing the DOL regs and stated "It's in there!

I then asked him if he created the Ragu sauce commercial. Didn't like me much after that.

You sound like the US Dept of Labor guy I dealt with on a "maximum hours" dispute: When I asked him to specify what regulation he claimed was violated, he slapped his hand on top of the CFR volume containing the DOL regs and stated "It's in there!

I then asked him if he created the Ragu sauce commercial. Didn't like me much after that.

Well, we don't even have to go through the full process to reach the same place.

Get a hold of yourself, man!

You need the "Airplane" treatment, the one where everybody lines up to slap that hysterical woman, including the nun with the bat!

Staged for TV, the best yesterday's effort did was keep injuries to a minimum and showcase the two little RBs. Split squad, with mix and match lines, didn't do anything to show off anybody, except Evans and Lindsay. I left bored, knowing that 3 highly rated RBs won't be here til fall and that nobody threw to any TE; I wanted to see if Center could catch and run.

Wow, underwhelmed by the format, but certainly not discouraged; was no better nor worse than many of the past 30 or so I've attended.
So the spring game was really just some rope-a-dope ploy?

Every year a conversation like this takes place following the spring game, and like the game, nothing comes from it. Haters gonna hate, kool aid drinkers gonna guzzle and hate the haters. Cheap, mild entertainment on both counts.

The format was screwy. That's what has me puzzled, more than any vanilla performance on the field. I read that the Pac12 wanted it run the way it went, but why do they care - and why do we care what they want from our spring game? It would have been much more fun if it were more like a real game. What a dud.

I just hope progress was made since last season, and it continues.

Encouraged - Lindsey running hard and still running over ppl. IMO he is the 1st or 2nd back on the field next year depending on transfer's ability.
O-line looked deep. I don't know if that means better or not but at least there is competition.
The projected DB starters looked solid on 1x1s. Tight coverage even though some passes were completed in those drills.
Discoraged - kickers, and its Deiago Gonzalez right? I keeping seeing ppl reference "Garcia". Anyways, he was so inaccurate there is no way we can put him out there unless that improves like now. Did he miss that 1 extra point? On TV I'm not sure what the announcers said.
Powell looked slow, very slow. I just don't see a place for him other than short yardage. He simply has no acceleration at all.
Sefo with better "zip", not so much. Average day by him.
Gerhke. If he plays meaningful snaps we are in all sorts of trouble. Slow decision making with in even slower wind up/release does not fly on our conference.

Overall difficult to assess anything tangible with 3s and 4s mixed in. My opinion has not changed, we are a 5 win (at best) football team IMO. Wildcards to my thoughts would be injuries, defensive surprises (DL greatly improved/ scheme helps D ranking get into the 70-80 range) and freshman RB (RB can steal a game or 2 in college)

This team is better than 5 wins at best. Yes, the schedule is harder than 2014, but we return much of the same team in a conference that is losing a lot of very good NFL guys. The team last year went to 2OT with Cal and UCLA. Were a bad interception/fumble away from beating OSU, and Utah, and UW (well, UW maybe more a stretch, but two fumbles in our own territory lost the game). Yeah, winning at Hawaii isn't a given, but I don't see 5 wins being best case. It's probably the most likely outcome, but not best case. The defensive score and turnover rankings really have no where to go but up. No real reason to not take another step on offense with what we are returning and adding guys like Keeney, Walker, Carr, etc.

As for Sefo, he wasn't exactly throwing to his in-game guys. Spruce and Fields were on the other team and he had 3 walk-ons as his receivers, plus Ross and MacIntyre.

I checked out the stats from the game:

http://www.cubuffs.com/pdf9/3296508.pdf

The black team looks like a microcosm of the 2014 season. Dominated stats, time of possession, yards, plays, had a chance at the end to win, and they lost.

I can't really say to much about Sefo, he had 4 passes and was in on 8 plays.

This team is better than 5 wins at best. Yes, the schedule is harder than 2014, but we return much of the same team in a conference that is losing a lot of very good NFL guys. The team last year went to 2OT with Cal and UCLA. Were a bad interception/fumble away from beating OSU, and Utah, and UW (well, UW maybe more a stretch, but two fumbles in our own territory lost the game). Yeah, winning at Hawaii isn't a given, but I don't see 5 wins being best case. It's probably the most likely outcome, but not best case. The defensive score and turnover rankings really have no where to go but up. No real reason to not take another step on offense with what we are returning and adding guys like Keeney, Walker, Carr, etc.

As for Sefo, he wasn't exactly throwing to his in-game guys. Spruce and Fields were on the other team and he had 3 walk-ons as his receivers, plus Ross and MacIntyre.

To be fair, we could have easily lost the UMass game, so the coulda, woulda, shoulda can be cancelled out by one of the "we should have won" games. However, when speaking strictly about best case scenarios for W/L in 2014, the best case scenario was anywhere from 6-8 wins (the 4 you listed for sure and then maybe 2 of the UW/AZ/ASU where they had some chances). That's all I will say about 2014.

Looking to 2015, BEST CASE SCENARIO is sweeping the OOC and going 4-0, then finding ways to win the 3-4 conference games that they'll have a legitimate shot in. In my estimation, that would put their best case W/L at 7-8 wins. Is that likely? No, not at all. But, I agree with you in that, to say the absolute best we can hope for is 5 wins in 2015 is just false.

Not sure if this is going to be the new norm for spring games. But if the're trying to create excitement for fans it didn't work for me. If I wanted to watch a practice I would have attended one. Oh, wait a minute, they were all closed as well.

I don't know if the coaches are now so paranoid of showing what they have. Or are more worried about showing what they do have and have to deal with the fans pissing and moaning.

Yesterday showed absolutely nothing to me and maybe that's what their goal is.

Reacting to anything other than injuries and kicking in the Spring game is kind of futile, the rosters are so mixed up doesn't represent a starting offense or defense.

I really don't know what, if anything, you can take away from this game or any Spring Game that isn't #1 v #1. This is really for the coaches, so they are doing things to look for specifics in players. Also, there are players missing and some true frosh impact players won't be here til August. So I don't look to take anything away from the game...except maybe eyeing physiques.

From a fan perspective, the format sucked. I didn't like hanging out for an hour while they warm up and drill. They should have announced the KO at 3 and run Ralphie then. I would have like an hour of scrimmage...seemed like it was 25 min the first 'half' then 15 the second.

Beautiful day in Boulder.

Anyone watch PAC12 Network's coverage? What were the themes from Yam and Neu-weasel? Was Roth there?

I really don't know what, if anything, you can take away from this game or any Spring Game that isn't #1 v #1. This is really for the coaches, so they are doing things to look for specifics in players. Also, there are players missing and some true frosh impact players won't be here til August. So I don't look to take anything away from the game...except maybe eyeing physiques.

From a fan perspective, the format sucked. I didn't like hanging out for an hour while they warm up and drill. They should have announced the KO at 3 and run Ralphie then. I would have like an hour of scrimmage...seemed like it was 25 min the first 'half' then 15 the second.

That's because they used real timing rules in the 1st "half" with clock stoppages at first downs, out of bounds, scoring, etc. and then did a running clock in the 2nd "half". The format was really boring for the average fan. I actually enjoyed seeing their practice stuff and the "takeaway circuit" they were doing (we do some similar periods at my school), and watching the 1v1 passing drills was kind of cool.

That's because they used real timing rules in the 1st "half" with clock stoppages at first downs, out of bounds, scoring, etc. and then did a running clock in the 2nd "half". The format was really boring for the average fan. I actually enjoyed seeing their practice stuff and the "takeaway circuit" they were doing (we do some similar periods at my school), and watching the 1v1 passing drills was kind of cool.
Thanks. That makes sense. I had like 10 friends and family I was mingling with so I missed the detail about the first half rules.

So what was the final attendance #'s? I am seeing 4,100ish... I had guessed 6,100

Dave%20Plati%202014.jpg

So wait...you tell me not to speculate on the cu/isu outcome based on trends and then you pull this **** out of left field. I get optimism but can you just ****ing tone it down....even a little. This is the same roster that went winless, repeat winless, in the pac12 and barely beat one terrible team. Suddenly, after witnessing the spring game, you speculate this is a 5+ win team. You can't have it both ways man.

So wait...you tell me not to speculate on the cu/isu outcome based on trends and then you pull this **** out of left field. I get optimism but can you just ****ing tone it down....even a little. This is the same roster that went winless, repeat winless, in the pac12 and barely beat one terrible team. Suddenly, after witnessing the spring game, you speculate this is a 5+ win team. You can't have it both ways man.
you_got_me_breaking_bad.gif

Did we go 0-9? Yes. I have never denied that, but just using that ignores a lot of other things. Mainly the fact that we were damn close to winning 4-5 more while being one of the youngest teams in the conference. I'm not going to keep getting into this, there will be plenty of time for that.

I just don't see how the fans benefitted. SO glad I didn't go. I wanted to see the new guys do something.

Cade Apsay did not throw a pass.
No scholarship player caught a pass who didn't catch a pass last season.
No JayMac, Walker, Center.....

I saw a lot more of Gehrke and actually thought he was better than some others here, besides the obvious pick-6.

I just don't see how the fans benefitted. SO glad I didn't go. I wanted to see the new guys do something.

Cade Apsay did not throw a pass.
No scholarship player caught a pass who didn't catch a pass last season.
No JayMac, Walker, Center.....

I saw a lot more of Gehrke and actually thought he was better than some others here, besides the obvious pick-6.

Jay MacIntyre may not have caught a pass in the actual scrimmage, but he was all over the place in the 1v1 passing drills. Made a couple really nice plays during that session. As far as the scrimmage goes, he was on Sefo's team and they might have thrown the ball 4 total times.

Back