What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2015: Recruiting News, Notes & Official Visitors

Not I, wanna start winning.

I hate some attrition. Sometimes I think a coach is trying to prove a point by driving kids off when part of the job of a coach at the college level is to develop young men. So I don't like it when someone comes in and starts kicking kids to the curb.

However, we are getting to the point where if someone is still just along for the ride after 2 years and has not bought in... it's time for that guy to be shown the door even if he's technically meeting his athletic scholarship obligations.

I hate some attrition. Sometimes I think a coach is trying to prove a point by driving kids off when part of the job of a coach at the college level is to develop young men. So I don't like it when someone comes in and starts kicking kids to the curb.

However, we are getting to the point where if someone is still just along for the ride after 2 years and has not bought in... it's time for that guy to be shown the door even if he's technically meeting his athletic scholarship obligations.
That's where I am with it as well.

Exactly. Not kicking them to the curb, and giving them many opportunities, and letting them suck up a schollie with a lackadaisical attitude are two vastly different things.

Let's review D-Line depth and recruiting. We got hammered this year early (IMO) because we had to play guys before they were ready. We really should be looking at 3rd year guys at a minimum.

Current Depth chart, with Next Year's class (removing Seniors)

DE
Christian Shaver, 6-3, 235, SO
De’Jon Wilson, 6-3, 250, JR*
George Frazier, 6-1, 245, SO*
Timothy Coleman, 6-2, 250, SO*
Derek McCartney, 6-3, 240, SO*
Terran Hasselbach, 6-1, 235, RS-FR
Michael Mathewes, 6-5, 250, RS-FR
Markeis Reed, 6-4, 240, SO
Nathaniel Robbins 6-4, 260, JR

DT
Josh Tupou, 6-3, 325, SR
Justin Solis, 6-1, 305, SR
Eddy Lopez, 6-4, 300, SO
Jase Frank 6-4, 270 RS-FR*
Leo Jackson 6-2, 270 JR

*denotes RS year used

I think the staff is insuring against Tupou leaving early, Kafavalo and Henington not returning, and never again needing to use True Frosh on the lines.
I would expect you will see some movement at DE with a couple guys moving to OLB (Greer is a SR, with no real backup). Might Derek Mac move inside with another year?
Or are we moving to a 3-4?

With our LBs, moving to a 3-4 is a terrifying thought. We don't have any big enough for the OLBs, and he'd be hard pressed to field 4 guys with a 2 deep.

Why would we switch to a 3-4? If anything were building for the 4-2-5
Oklahoma has a fun variant of the 3-4 that's doing great against today's spread offenses. 4-2-5 is another option. We go 3 down linemen too. HCMM loves being multiple.

[MENTION=1592]buffaholic[/MENTION],

You forgot Clay Norgard, who will be JR* next year at DT.

Also, Reed has redshirted already.

I'm kind of thinking that De'Jon Wilson moves inside to DT the way Juda Parker did this year. Similar guys.

You left Clay Norgaard off that list who will be a Jr. DT currently listed at 250lbs. Clay has had trouble putting on weight but should be able to get 10-15 lbs heavier next year and contribute some for depth.

If we want to think about going to a 3-4 we are going to need to be much deeper at LB than we are now. You also need to have some bigger, more physical LBs to play that style and that isn't what we have now.

What I could see us doing is taking a bit of a page from the NY Giants system and play with 4 DL but not have two traditional DTs in there. They went to 4 DE types but were big enough to hold up inside. I could see us using one true DT to anchor the middle and 3 DE types to provide more speed and mobility and attempt to create more pressure on the passer.

Edit: Typically, Nik beat me to Clay.

We played a lot of 3 man front vs Cal...

If some of our DTs could play DE in the role of taking on multiple blockers to free up our LBs it may make sense with some of the recruiting we're seeing.

I could definitely see guys like Tupou, Solis and Lopez playing NT. Then, you play these guys in the 260-280 lb range at DE to hopefully take on 4 or 5 OLs with 3 guys. Then, we have a lot of hybrid types playing DE right now who might fit well with playing either with a hand down or standing up. Could do some creative stuff with blitzes and confusing coverages by blitzing one of those two OLBs every play from a 3-4 as the base pass rush. It also opens up a lot of options for bringing an ILB and rolling coverage to mix things up while still dropping 7 or running some 3-3-5 at times where it might even be the Nickel who rushes.

As long as you get the guys up front to maintain a great run defense, this is the best defensive scheme for bringing consistent pressure while still having a coverage scheme that doesn't leave schematic holes.

one of the best defenses I've seen run - was wisconsin vs nu last year or year before? no down linemen and very fluid defense. craziest D alignment and were crazy disciplined...not sure if any of you football nuts remember that one?

one of the best defenses I've seen run - was wisconsin vs nu last year or year before? no down linemen and very fluid defense. craziest D alignment and were crazy disciplined...not sure if any of you football nuts remember that one?
I saw someone run that this year. Not every series but throughout the game. Wreaked all kinds of havoc as the OL had no ****ing clue who to block or who was dropping back in coverage, etc. Does seem like it requires crazy discipline and communication on the D to pull that off.

Back