What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2017 College Football News

The official Church's position has, for the last 85 years, been that coffee, green and black tea, alcohol and tobacco are to be strictly avoided. Illicit drugs were thrown in about 50 years ago. There has never been an official position prohibiting caffeinated soft drinks. Given that people will be people, and some are fanatical, they extrapolated 'doctrine' on their own.

Last edited:
lose one game AD gets fired, lose 3 in a season and the coaching staff gets chased off... They ****ed up when the fired Solich. That is where the nubs need to point, when defining the downward spiral.

The official Church's position has, for the last 85 years, been that coffee, green and black tea, alcohol and tobacco are to be strictly avoided. Illicit drugs were thrown in about 50 years ago. There has never been an official position prohibiting caffeinated soft drinks. Given that people will be people, and some are fanatical, they extrapolated 'doctrine' on their own.
Interesting, I did not know that.

The prohibition against "hot drinks", alcohol, and tobacco dates to 1833. It comes from Joe Smith himself. Even though "hot drinks" is designed to include coffee and tea, it is interesting that it extends to iced versions of both. My wife's LDS family stocks every gathering with copious amounts of soda (very little diet or caffeine free, oddly enough) but they would not dream of having iced tea available. (I bring a to-go coffee any time there is a family brunch, because I'm a ****ing outlaw!)

Recently, I watched my mother-in-law - who is an awesome lady, btw - accidentally bite into an ice cream bar that was coffee flavored. You would have thought that she drank a can of chew spit and cigarette butts, by her reaction. Pretty funny.

I guess this is getting away from the thread, so let me bring it back a little:

**** Bailer! (How's that?)

The "words of wisdom", which is not part of their actual scripture, forbid "hot drinks" (maybe it says warm?) and "intoxicating liquor"... Tea and coffee are thus out, not because of the caffeine, but because of the preparation...

I had a Mormon buddy in college who drank beer, because in his interpretation, it wasn't an "intoxicating liquor". Not following the words of wisdom isn't grounds for excommunication or anything like that, and followers are actually supposed to interpret them as they see fit. The social pressure, though, makes the interpretation pretty uniform.

Sounds like a Jack Mormon!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jack_Mormon

I have done a lot of business in Utah over the years. I don't fully understand the Mormon religion and their belief system to much extent. I do know two things:
1) I have yet to meet anyone who isn't as nice as anyone you have ever met face to face, but you sometimes don't realize what they are really thinking because they mask it so well
2) They will very much do business with companies being represented by members of the Church where it makes sense over non-Church member represented companies - this is logical, but can be frustrating when you aren't a Church member and know your solution is a better fit

I have been around LDS folks my whole life. My impression of them is that they are the nicest, most courteous, most helpful, and most civil people you'll ever meet (I mean, even the assholes are pretty civil as they go about being an asshole, in my experience). They also raise awesome kids for the most part as well. I think I mentioned that I have coached a lot of LDS kids on my basketball teams over the years, and they have always been the most respectful and hardest working kids I've ever had. They're also super white and non-athletic for the most part, too - at least the ones I've coached, unfortunately.

I may not agree with them on a lot of things politically and most likely spiritually, but I respect their faith and their way of going about living their lives.

Now, on to making fun of the Nubs.

I have been around LDS folks my whole life. My impression of them is that they are the nicest, most courteous, most helpful, and most civil people you'll ever meet (I mean, even the assholes are pretty civil as they go about being an asshole, in my experience). They also raise awesome kids for the most part as well. I think I mentioned that I have coached a lot of LDS kids on my basketball teams over the years, and they have always been the most respectful and hardest working kids I've ever had. They're also super white and non-athletic for the most part, too - at least the ones I've coached, unfortunately.

I may not agree with them on a lot of things politically and most likely spiritually, but I respect their faith and their way of going about living their lives.

I would have to agree, I cannot think of a Mormon person I have ever met who I did not like, except the guys who ring my doorbell...and even those guys, while annoying me at home, were nice about it.

I would have to agree, I cannot think of a Mormon person I have ever met who I did not like, except the guys who ring my doorbell...and even those guys, while annoying me at home, were nice about it.
Which is odd because BYU's football team plays dirty. They never seem to be the one the gets flagged though. They're the one that throws the subtle cheap shot first, and the other teams reacts to it and gets flagged.

well put

I should have added that my two girls are in a dance class run by a Mormon lady and have been for years. I have been to the local temple for recitals. That dance teacher has an absolute heart of gold and all the people at the recitals are genuinely good people.

I won't comment on any of their dancing skills, as I suffer greatly from white man's disease myself. Mrs Highlander refused to fast dance with me at our wedding because she didn't want videotaped evidence of it on her permanent file or seen by her closest friends.

I should have added that my two girls are in a dance class run by a Mormon lady and have been for years. I have been to the local temple for recitals. That dance teacher has an absolute heart of gold and all the people at the recitals are genuinely good people.

I won't comment on any of their dancing skills, as I suffer greatly from white man's disease myself. Mrs Highlander refused to fast dance with me at our wedding because she didn't want videotaped evidence of it on her permanent file or seen by her closest friends.
You listen to the words or beat?

You listen to the words or beat?
The words or the beat? I never considered either. Is that a problem?

dancing.gif

The words or the beat? I never considered either. Is that a problem?

dancing.gif
I have one dance move: keep the arms high & tight while swaying to the rhythm while my wife dances and grinds into me. The big benefit to this classic dance move is that it's easy to keep drinking while busting it out.

Clemson's placekicker Greg Huegel tore his ACL in practice and will be out for the year. Could be a factor if they get in a tight game down the road.

Julianne and Derek Hough are Morman and they are okay dancers.

I will say that every Mormon I have known will bend over backwards to help. I know quite a few that have been booted out for alcoholism, having kids out of wedlock, etc...

Also, look up "soaking", WTF.

One of the best coaches....success at USD, Stanford, Niners, UM.....one of the few coaches that have had success in both NFL and College...eccentric...but very good.

Back