What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018-2019 Coaching Carousel..

One last time, if you think CU was better in 2012 than any other program, I question your sanity.

I feel like you’re intentionally not reading what I’ve written just because you believe what you want to believe even though there’s evidence to the contrary. In your posting prior to this one, you basically admit as much.

It’s probably better for you to question your own sanity in this scenario.

I feel like you’re intentionally not reading what I’ve written just because you believe what you want to believe even though there’s evidence to the contrary. In your posting prior to this one, you basically admit as much.

It’s probably better for you to question your own sanity in this scenario.
I admire your tenacity, are you in sales?

Where is our Yahoo news break stating that MM has been fired?
MM isn’t getting fired this week. He can still technically get a winning season, so RG won’t pull the trigger and show he doesn’t give his coaches a chance.

I don’t think it’ll happen till season end, but I could plausibly see after a loss to Utah.

**** that, I hope it's by tomorrow at the latest. Also think Mike has had plenty of time to take that next step and hasn't. Thanks for the job done, time to find someone who can take that next step. I see zero benefit in keeping him any further, jmho.

It needs to happen after the Utah game so we can get a jump on finding a replacement. Let senior day be about the team and enjoying their last home game then make the announcement Sunday. Let the kids go into the Cal game with something to prove and maybe they gut out a surprise to earn that bowl eligibility.

MM isn’t getting fired this week. He can still technically get a winning season, so RG won’t pull the trigger and show he doesn’t give his coaches a chance.

I don’t think it’ll happen till season end, but I could plausibly see after a loss to Utah.

Don't be so literal and try to have some fun. Geez

This is such a true tweet and we see it every year.

Hey guys. I haven't posted in several years as I got tired of the bickering. I do lurk occasionally. Question on this Nik. I have been struggling to make a personal call on Mac specifically because of this. I have actually seen our players fight under Mac for most of his tenure. Even yesterday, our D put up a might fight in my opinion against one of the best offences in the country. Our offense was purely offensive and they lacked fight and I feel that falls more on Montez and Chev than on Mac.

Having said that, I also believe HCMM has had ample time to bring in his players, recruit his staff and execute and he is not getting it done. Someone in one of these threads put blame on HCMM for holding on too inferior coaches too long like Adams and Bernardi. I am starting to feel maybe that is his biggest failing more than being a bad head coach. And no matter what anyone says, if HCMM was fired tomorrow, he has left the program in a substantially better place than where Embree left it. NOT EVEN CLOSE!

Hey guys. I haven't posted in several years as I got tired of the bickering. I do lurk occasionally. Question on this Nik. I have been struggling to make a personal call on Mac specifically because of this. I have actually seen our players fight under Mac for most of his tenure. Even yesterday, our D put up a might fight in my opinion against one of the best offences in the country. Our offense was purely offensive and they lacked fight and I feel that falls more on Montez and Chev than on Mac.

Having said that, I also believe HCMM has had ample time to bring in his players, recruit his staff and execute and he is not getting it done. Someone in one of these threads put blame on HCMM for holding on too inferior coaches too long like Adams and Bernardi. I am starting to feel maybe that is his biggest failing more than being a bad head coach. And no matter what anyone says, if HCMM was fired tomorrow, he has left the program in a substantially better place than where Embree left it. NOT EVEN CLOSE!
I don't think the team has quit on him.

I did think that last year for that game at Utah, though.

And the year before the team seemed burnt out and just happy to be there for the Alamo Bowl.

Then there's the 0-8 record the past 2 seasons with bowl eligibility on the line and the inability to pull an upset of a ranked team. For whatever reason, the program is missing that certain something in big games and big moments of games. This despite the fact that I see players fighting their asses off, so I have to believe that the problem lies in that they're getting out-coached and in there being a leadership void that fails to instill belief and confidence.

And the year before the team seemed burnt out and just happy to be there for the Alamo Bowl.

Then there's the 0-8 record the past 2 seasons with bowl eligibility on the line and the inability to pull an upset of a ranked team. For whatever reason, the program is missing that certain something in big games and big moments of games. This despite the fact that I see players fighting their asses off, so I have to believe that the problem lies in that they're getting out-coached and in there being a leadership void that fails to instill belief and confidence.
Good company to be in... MM should have lucked into a win of this kind over a 6 year period. That’s how bad he is in “big games”.

I can definitely believe we are being outcoached in many games and that is part of the problem. Under Mac our recruiting has improved gradually over time. We have been competitive in most games we have played. But we just seem that (outside of the 2016 season) we can not go beyond mediocre. That is so far from what RG set as expectations for the athletic department.

I really cannot imagine why RG would keep HCMM beyond the season even if we make a bowl. This season has turned into a **** show and HCMM has just not proven he can take us from competitive to victorious. Some on AB are pulling for Les Miles. I must admit, so am I. He has won everywhere, knows Colorado, has a HUGE brand name and would send signals to recruits and the Pac that RG and CU mean business. He is getting old and his offences were stale so he needs a vibrant young OC. I am not prepare to write off Chev but whoever Miles would want as long as he is young and dynamic.

I suspect if Miles is seriously considering Kansas (that's what the media is saying) if we did fire HCMM soon and reached out to Miles he would have to be seriously interested. Given his age, you´d think the goal might be a 3-4 year contract with a plan to transition to one of the coordinators he hires.

I can definitely believe we are being outcoached in many games and that is part of the problem. Under Mac our recruiting has improved gradually over time. We have been competitive in most games we have played. But we just seem that (outside of the 2016 season) we can not go beyond mediocre. That is so far from what RG set as expectations for the athletic department.

I really cannot imagine why RG would keep HCMM beyond the season even if we make a bowl. This season has turned into a **** show and HCMM has just not proven he can take us from competitive to victorious. Some on AB are pulling for Les Miles. I must admit, so am I. He has won everywhere, knows Colorado, has a HUGE brand name and would send signals to recruits and the Pac that RG and CU mean business. He is getting old and his offences were stale so he needs a vibrant young OC. I am not prepare to write off Chev but whoever Miles would want as long as he is young and dynamic.

I suspect if Miles is seriously considering Kansas (that's what the media is saying) if we did fire HCMM soon and reached out to Miles he would have to be seriously interested. Given his age, you´d think the goal might be a 3-4 year contract with a plan to transition to one of the coordinators he hires.
Only thing I disagree with is that I don't want there to be any thought toward a succession plan. It confuses things and never works. Worry about 5 years from now 5 years from now. Hire the guy who is best for the program today and let him build a staff and assign authority & roles based on what is best for winning now.

This is such a true tweet and we see it every year.

The leadership from the staff, that ship has sailed. I don't think the players have quit. For that matter, I doubt the coaches have either. One problem, the message has become stale. Hell, maybe it was never there and I'm being dumb about it.

Buffs under MM are a weird situation. Through much of the game yesterday I saw a team that hadn't quit. That didn't come until late in the game when it was obvious that the game was over.

At the same time I also saw a team that didn't really believe it could or would win.

MM's teams generally play hard but you also don't get the extra level that let's a team beat a team that is better than they are (or sometimes isn't as good as they are.)

Update:

Open jobs:

BGSU- Mike Jinks the first casualty (h/t Mtn.)
Maryland- DJ Dirkin gets the hook for just one dead player, can you believe it? (h/t SewallBeach)
KU- Beaty out (h/t TSchek), Les Miles in play (h/t nik) Leavitt, and or Dan Enos (h/t onealcd). DJ Durkin was considered and discarded, apparently.
Louisville- Petrino and all those related to him by blood or marriage: out. (h/t nik) Brohm rumors begin.

Possibles:

USC- Helton on thin ice, Jack Del Rio rumors (h/t onealcd)
UCONN- Edsall not winning
CU- Who knows, but the natives are restless (probably will be its own thread if something concrete happens).
Rutgers- Chris Ash
Illinois- Lovie Smith
UNC- Larry Fedora
Okie Lite- The Mullet man
GT- (h/t ahoelsken)
KjSU- Snydley may hang it up (h/t ahoelsken)

Other news: Malzahn will stay apparently. (h/t TSchek)

KU is in the situation that they could use MM, but instead they will throw ridiculous money at someone who isn't equipped to build a program.

Things seem unusually slow this year. I'd thought that the early signing day would have the opposite impact, but it seems like it isn't adding pressure or might even be making some ADs gun shy.

I'd throw Davie at UNM out there as another possible. Only caveat is they may want to keep him around another year since he's the reason they got that game scheduled in South Bend next season. I'm not sure if that even makes any sense for keeping him another year but thought I'd throw it out there.

Perusing the KU message board today, and Seth Littrell is the fan favorite to be next head coach. Oddly, Jim Mora Jr. was another one frequently mentioned (inexplicably).

I'd throw Davie at UNM out there as another possible. Only caveat is they may want to keep him around another year since he's the reason they got that game scheduled in South Bend next season. I'm not sure if that even makes any sense for keeping him another year but thought I'd throw it out there.
Isn’t there a mistreatment of players issue hanging over his head?

Things seem unusually slow this year. I'd thought that the early signing day would have the opposite impact, but it seems like it isn't adding pressure or might even be making some ADs gun shy.
I think the money issue has gotten so big things are slowing. I expect a few more jobs to open in the next week or so.

I think the money issue has gotten so big things are slowing. I expect a few more jobs to open in the next week or so.
Dominoes could fall due to the money too. B1G schools, for example, are pulling in so much from their media deals that they can go out and poach successful coaches from the ACC, Big 12 and Pac-12 without much difficulty. Rutgers and Maryland are definitely looking and it could be that we add Illinois and Purdue to that mix as this thing shakes out. Hell, maybe even Ohio State.

Helton's done. Nothing official yet, but it's not just the record -- it's the money and prestige. USC does not tolerate losing money and being an afterthought in LA.

Back