What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018-2019 Coaching Carousel..

I missed this then. Which thread? I’ve seen it stated by Brian Howell and Adam M multiple times that it must be college HC/NFL assistant. I’ve been through just about every thread that’s pertinent and seen nothing to state otherwise

Start at post #1617 in this thread.

Start at post #1617 in this thread.
Yes, I saw that and it plainly says that is only is offset if he becomes a HC in College or NFL HC/Assistant? I'm not a lawyer but it expressly states "... such payments shall be reduced by any amounts Macintyre receives or is to receive in the future for services provided by Macintyre in the position of head coach at a university or college or in the position of head coach or assistant in the National Football League..." Pretty straightforward to me. The argument was that he is not required to search for those jobs in good faith as Manhattan stated that it was written so they are not tied together.

Last edited:
Simple solution needs to be to have there be language in coaching contracts moving forward that applies to ALL coaching jobs-not HC in the NCAA and NFL gigs.
They write it like that so that it may help out the fired coach if their career trajectory took a negative turn because of the firing, they would have the money coming in as damage compensation. They will always write it like that.

Yeah - I don't get it. I watched him closely during his tenure at UNM. Saying he was awful is putting it mildly. He was terrible in front of a camera and came across (at least to me) as incompetent. So long as they're happy and he's a long way from any teams that I care for.
Yeah, thant SVP tweet sounds just like what we'd have said about Embree. Of course, if he'd been coming off a couple years under Saban, maybe things would have worked out differently.

Yes, I saw that and it plainly says that is only is offset if he becomes a HC in College or NFL HC/Assistant? I'm not a lawyer but it expressly states "... such payments shall be reduced by any amounts Macintyre receives or is to receive in the future for services provided by Macintyre in the position of head coach at a university or college or in the position of head coach or assistant in the National Football League..." Pretty straightforward to me. The argument was that he is not required to search for those jobs in good faith as Manhattan stated that it was written so they are not tied together.

I don't think you're reading it correctly. It says MM has a duty to mitigate damages by obtaining new employment. Though it goes on to say that the parties expressly agree that any income and future income from being a college HC or an NFL coach will reduce CU's payment, it doesn't limit the offset to only those jobs. Plus, it requires MM to provide notice of any employment. There's always a general duty to mitigate damages in employment contracts, and this contract doesn't change that, i.e. doesn't have a liquidated damages clause.

The Rick George gets his man Update:

THE BIG ONE: Georgia DC Mel Tucker is the next head Buff. Welcome Coach Tucker. Now let the panic ensue regarding Assistant Coaches.

Filled jobs:

KU- pulls the trigger first, Les Miles, 5 years $2.775MM/year. UPDATE: Chip Lindsey OC (h/t Jens).
Western Kentucky- Tyson Helton in, Bryan Ellis QB coach from USC now OC (h/t Jens)
UNC- Fedora out; Mack Brown in. Mack bringing Tim Brewster (aTm TE) and Greg Brown (noted OC sloth) along for the redux. (h/t Jens)
Texas State- WVU OC Jake Spatival in (h/t SerenityBuff) Okie Lite and Mines OC Bob Stitt tagged as OC. (h/t Jens)
BGSU- Mike Jinks out (h/t Mtn.), BC's OC Scot Loeffler in (h/t White Rabbit)
Texas Tech- Kliffy K out (h/t Jens), Matt Wells, USU HC, and entire offensive staff, in (h/t nik)
Central Michigan- John Bonamego out. Jim McElwain in (h/t Jens and nik)
East Carolina- Scottie Montgomery out (h/t Jens) Former JMU HC Mike Houston hired. (h/t Jens)
Louisville- Bobby P out, Scott Satterfield (App. St. HC) in. (h/t onealcd)
UMASS- Mark Whipple out. (h/t tschek) FSU OC Walt Bell gets the nod. (h/t SewallBeach)
Charlotte- Hires Will Healy, formerly of Austin Peay. (h/t DeNiro)
tOSU- Urban Meyer done. OC Ryan Day takes over.
Maryland- DJ Dirkin out, Mike Locksley in, for real this time.

Open jobs:

Utah St.- Hold the phone, Gary Andersen part deux not for sure. (h/t Buff Up)
Georgia Tech- Paul Johnson hangs it up (h/t Jeric) Chargers OC Ken Whisenhut interviews (h/t Jens) Clemson Co-OC Tony Elliott, and Temple HC Geoff Collins interview.
KjSU- Snydley hangs it up (h/t Jens) Designated Special Ambassador to the program, nice gesture by KjSU.
Akron- Terry Bowden gets the hook. (h/t nik)

Secondary Market:

James Madison- ???
Appalachian St.- Lost Satterfield to Louisville.

Possibles:

UCONN- Edsall not winning
Okie Lite- The Mullet man
Vanderbilt- Derek Mason. (h/t ahoelsken), but nik says no movement until a new AD says Boo.
USF- Charlie Strong could be ousted (h/t nik).

FCS Openings:

Eastern Illinois- (h/t Deniro)
Liberty- Turner Gill out for personal reasons, Hugh Freeze in?

Other news:

The Mike MacIntyre watch- Rumored to be interviewing for Ole Miss DC job. Lengthy analysis of whether that will be an offset, or not.
Auburn- Booster meddling runs amok. Attempts to sabotage AC hirings to get rid of Malzahn impeding the arrival of Hugh Freeze, noted moralist. (h/t Jens)
Oklahoma DC- tOSU DC Alex Grinch interested (h/t OnealCD)
FSU- Hugh Freeze talking to FSU about an OC gig.
Jim Harbaugh- His name popping up re: Green Bay opening (h/t Jens) Maybe he is tired of getting pantsed every November by the Buckeyes
Pac 12- Oregon Live articles turning up heat on Larry "Hey guys, did you see I got an extension!" Scott.
Mark Helfrich- Not involved in any college jobs, per his own statement. Champagne corks pop in Boulder.
CSU- Bobo stays (h/t nik)
USC- UPDATE: Lynn Swann doubles down, Helton stays (h/t Jens) Ronnie Bradford, DB, Tee Martin, OC and Bryan Ellis QB, gone. (h/t unionbuff, Jens) Kliffy K "in the driver's seat" for OC (h/t TSchek) UPDATE: Boosters gathering pitchforks and torches over Helton retention (h/t Bombay) UPDATE: Kliffy K new OC (h/t Jens)
Rutgers- Chris Ash UPDATE: Ash is back (h/t nik).
Illinois- Lovie Smith UPDATE: Lovie not only stays, but gets extension (h/t Jens)
Auburn- Malzahn will stay apparently. (h/t TSchek) re-negotiates contract with big cigars to stay (h/t nik)
Maryland- DJ Durkin to get a $5MM buyout.
UH- fends off Texas St. more successfully than a bailer co-ed to keep Kendal Briles as OC. (h/t nik). UPDATE: 3 yr, $2.1 MM deal.
Tulsa- Philip Montgomery safe (h/t nik)
University of Northern Colorado- Earnest Hollings is safe and will remain head bear (h/t ahoelsken)
Purdue- Brohm stays. (h/t Jens) Louisville fans burning Brohm jerseys and threatening school children.
UNLV- Tony Sanchez safe. (h/t nik)
Boston College- Steve Addazio will return
University of Almost Mexico- Bob Davie back for year number Ocho

The Rick George gets his man Update:

THE BIG ONE: Georgia DC Mel Tucker is the next head Buff. Welcome Coach Tucker. Now let the panic ensue regarding Assistant Coaches.

Filled jobs:

KU- pulls the trigger first, Les Miles, 5 years $2.775MM/year. UPDATE: Chip Lindsey OC (h/t Jens).
Western Kentucky- Tyson Helton in, Bryan Ellis QB coach from USC now OC (h/t Jens)
UNC- Fedora out; Mack Brown in. Mack bringing Tim Brewster (aTm TE) and Greg Brown (noted OC sloth) along for the redux. (h/t Jens)
Texas State- WVU OC Jake Spatival in (h/t SerenityBuff) Okie Lite and Mines OC Bob Stitt tagged as OC. (h/t Jens)
BGSU- Mike Jinks out (h/t Mtn.), BC's OC Scot Loeffler in (h/t White Rabbit)
Texas Tech- Kliffy K out (h/t Jens), Matt Wells, USU HC, and entire offensive staff, in (h/t nik)
Central Michigan- John Bonamego out. Jim McElwain in (h/t Jens and nik)
East Carolina- Scottie Montgomery out (h/t Jens) Former JMU HC Mike Houston hired. (h/t Jens)
Louisville- Bobby P out, Scott Satterfield (App. St. HC) in. (h/t onealcd)
UMASS- Mark Whipple out. (h/t tschek) FSU OC Walt Bell gets the nod. (h/t SewallBeach)
Charlotte- Hires Will Healy, formerly of Austin Peay. (h/t DeNiro)
tOSU- Urban Meyer done. OC Ryan Day takes over.
Maryland- DJ Dirkin out, Mike Locksley in, for real this time.

Open jobs:

Utah St.- Hold the phone, Gary Andersen part deux not for sure. (h/t Buff Up)
Georgia Tech- Paul Johnson hangs it up (h/t Jeric) Chargers OC Ken Whisenhut interviews (h/t Jens) Clemson Co-OC Tony Elliott, and Temple HC Geoff Collins interview.
KjSU- Snydley hangs it up (h/t Jens) Designated Special Ambassador to the program, nice gesture by KjSU.
Akron- Terry Bowden gets the hook. (h/t nik)

Secondary Market:

James Madison- ???
Appalachian St.- Lost Satterfield to Louisville.

Possibles:

UCONN- Edsall not winning
Okie Lite- The Mullet man
Vanderbilt- Derek Mason. (h/t ahoelsken), but nik says no movement until a new AD says Boo.
USF- Charlie Strong could be ousted (h/t nik).

FCS Openings:

Eastern Illinois- (h/t Deniro)
Liberty- Turner Gill out for personal reasons, Hugh Freeze in?

Other news:

The Mike MacIntyre watch- Rumored to be interviewing for Ole Miss DC job. Lengthy analysis of whether that will be an offset, or not.
Auburn- Booster meddling runs amok. Attempts to sabotage AC hirings to get rid of Malzahn impeding the arrival of Hugh Freeze, noted moralist. (h/t Jens)
Oklahoma DC- tOSU DC Alex Grinch interested (h/t OnealCD)
FSU- Hugh Freeze talking to FSU about an OC gig.
Jim Harbaugh- His name popping up re: Green Bay opening (h/t Jens) Maybe he is tired of getting pantsed every November by the Buckeyes
Pac 12- Oregon Live articles turning up heat on Larry "Hey guys, did you see I got an extension!" Scott.
Mark Helfrich- Not involved in any college jobs, per his own statement. Champagne corks pop in Boulder.
CSU- Bobo stays (h/t nik)
USC- UPDATE: Lynn Swann doubles down, Helton stays (h/t Jens) Ronnie Bradford, DB, Tee Martin, OC and Bryan Ellis QB, gone. (h/t unionbuff, Jens) Kliffy K "in the driver's seat" for OC (h/t TSchek) UPDATE: Boosters gathering pitchforks and torches over Helton retention (h/t Bombay) UPDATE: Kliffy K new OC (h/t Jens)
Rutgers- Chris Ash UPDATE: Ash is back (h/t nik).
Illinois- Lovie Smith UPDATE: Lovie not only stays, but gets extension (h/t Jens)
Auburn- Malzahn will stay apparently. (h/t TSchek) re-negotiates contract with big cigars to stay (h/t nik)
Maryland- DJ Durkin to get a $5MM buyout.
UH- fends off Texas St. more successfully than a bailer co-ed to keep Kendal Briles as OC. (h/t nik). UPDATE: 3 yr, $2.1 MM deal.
Tulsa- Philip Montgomery safe (h/t nik)
University of Northern Colorado- Earnest Hollings is safe and will remain head bear (h/t ahoelsken)
Purdue- Brohm stays. (h/t Jens) Louisville fans burning Brohm jerseys and threatening school children.
UNLV- Tony Sanchez safe. (h/t nik)
Boston College- Steve Addazio will return
University of Almost Mexico- Bob Davie back for year number Ocho
****ty. And I mean that in the best possible way.

Could get a little crazy in January with Lincoln Riley, Jim Harbaugh and Matt Campbell though.

Thank. God. We didn’t Bohn it up here and hire Wells. I think I would be in a full blown spiral after reading about how many coaches he brought with him.

Thank. God. We didn’t Bohn it up here and hire Wells. I think I would be in a full blown spiral after reading about how many coaches he brought with him.

I want a fair amount of change among the assistants-I see no reason to keep more than a couple of them to hold the recruiting class together.

I want a fair amount of change among the assistants-I see no reason to keep more than a couple of them to hold the recruiting class together.
The issue is not a new HC hiring new assistants. The issue is that the big problem with hiring a HC from the G5 ranks is that he doesn't know the P5 world or the recruits who you need to win. When he brings his G5 staff instead of making legit P5 hires, it compounds the weakness by orders of magnitude. Leaders should always hire to shore up their own weaknesses.

The issue is not a new HC hiring new assistants. The issue is that the big problem with hiring a HC from the G5 ranks is that he doesn't know the P5 world or the recruits who you need to win. When he brings his G5 staff instead of making legit P5 hires, it compounds the weakness by orders of magnitude. Leaders should always hire to shore up their own weaknesses.

Yeah, but I still think there's a difference between Wells at TT and MM here six years ago-David Yost's resume blows the one Lindgren had when he got here out of the water as one example.

Yeah, but I still think there's a difference between Wells at TT and MM here six years ago-David Yost's resume blows the one Lindgren had when he got here out of the water as one example.
If the conversation is about whether Wells should bring Yost with him, that's different. If he wasn't bringing Yost, you wouldn't want him. Yost saved Wells' job at Utah State.

If I am reading the tea leaves correctly: RG and LC identified Mel Tucker (now coach) and Ryan Day (now tOSU coach) as their top candidates for the Colorado HC job.

If I am reading the tea leaves correctly: RG and LC identified Mel Tucker (now coach) and Ryan Day (now tOSU coach) as their top candidates for the Colorado HC job.

I've heard that Day was seen as a long shot due to the probabilities with tOSU. I'm not convinced he was on the final list and we'll probably never know.

If the conversation is about whether Wells should bring Yost with him, that's different. If he wasn't bringing Yost, you wouldn't want him. Yost saved Wells' job at Utah State.

Yeah, but I'd argue Patterson was probably an upgrade over Baer too-I tend to think of it more like RG simply found what he believes is a better fit for this program right now in CMT. You lose me on the notion of ignoring (insert name of Group of 5 coach here) because they're in the Group of 5.

Back