What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018-2019 Coaching Carousel..

Yeah, but I'd argue Patterson was probably an upgrade over Baer too-I tend to think of it more like RG simply found what he believes is a better fit for this program right now in CMT. You lose me on the notion of ignoring (insert name of Group of 5 coach here) because they're in the Group of 5.

If RG had hired Matt Wells and Wells had essentially brought over the Utah State staff en masse, I would hope CU's fan base would see that as a giant red flag.

It is. Both are allegedly on his visitor log
Billy-D_Approves.gif

I've heard that Day was seen as a long shot due to the probabilities with tOSU. I'm not convinced he was on the final list and we'll probably never know.

That would make sense-Klatt said on the Fan today that Urban told he and Gus when they met prior to Michigan that he was leaning toward stepping down but asked them to keep it quiet.

The issue is not a new HC hiring new assistants. The issue is that the big problem with hiring a HC from the G5 ranks is that he doesn't know the P5 world or the recruits who you need to win. When he brings his G5 staff instead of making legit P5 hires, it compounds the weakness by orders of magnitude. Leaders should always hire to shore up their own weaknesses.

My original point goes back to the comment I made about MM yesterday-he accomplished what he was brought here to do-get this program out of the morass that the Embree disaster put it in. He took over what was the worst power 5 program at that point in time, and brought it back to respectability. CMT is about getting from that point to national prominence. I've seen enough of the bulk of this staff when it comes to recruiting to argue that they can't get the talent we need to get ourselves there. Keep Chev as WR/RC, and that's about it to me.

That would make sense-Klatt said on the Fan today that Urban told he and Gus when they met prior to Michigan that he was leaning toward stepping down but asked them to keep it quiet.
I think what changed was that OSU decided to go with Day instead of doing a search for a guy like Campbell.

I wonder if Urb pushed Ohio St to hire Day so he can maintain some level of control over the program that he wouldn't have with Matt Campbell. I'm not sure they made the best choice for the long term.

My original point goes back to the comment I made about MM yesterday-he accomplished what he was brought here to do-get this program out of the morass that the Embree disaster put it in. He took over what was the worst power 5 program at that point in time, and brought it back to respectability. CMT is about getting from that point to national prominence. I've seen enough of the bulk of this staff when it comes to recruiting to argue that they can't get the talent we need to get ourselves there. Keep Chev as WR/RC, and that's about it to me.
Fair. One point about Embree that I'd add is that he inherited a situation where we'd had a lame duck who couldn't recruit the previous 2 seasons. A lot about the program was shaky. He went scorched earth on it, which might be a fine approach if you're Chip Kelly with the cache and job security he has at UCLA but was a disastrous approach for where we were at the time at CU.

I'll go to my grave believing that the biggest thing that led to Embree's failure was the intense emotional hatred he had for Hawkins and Bohn with what they'd done to the program he loves. It blinded him to being able to accept that anything either of them had done or anything associated with them was something that could be worked with or built upon.

The issue is not a new HC hiring new assistants. The issue is that the big problem with hiring a HC from the G5 ranks is that he doesn't know the P5 world or the recruits who you need to win. When he brings his G5 staff instead of making legit P5 hires, it compounds the weakness by orders of magnitude. Leaders should always hire to shore up their own weaknesses.

Your point about knowing the P5 world instead of the G5 is a good one. When MM came here his staff at SJSU weren't even recruiting the top G5 level kids.

The excessive loyalty has to be a warning. With MM I can't imagine that all the guys he brought with him had been hard working on the recruiting trail at San Jose then suddenly stopped when they got to CU. He brought some guys who didn't work hard enough to with him and then wouldn't replace them when it became obvious they were dragging him down.

I wonder if Urb pushed Ohio St to hire Day so he can maintain some level of control over the program that he wouldn't have with Matt Campbell. I'm not sure they made the best choice for the long term.
I disagree. When you have a system in place at a program that is super successful, promoting from within minimizes the pain associated with a transition. If you are confident your internal guy can do the job (not always the case), then you plug him in and keep the machine rolling.

I disagree. When you have a system in place at a program that is super successful, promoting from within minimizes the pain associated with a transition. If you are confident your internal guy can do the job (not always the case), then you plug him in and keep the machine rolling.
I agree.

Strangely, that seems to work better in the corporate world than it does with sports teams though. Other than Siefert taking over for Walsh in San Fran, I'm struggling to think of examples where passing the torch internally kept things rolling at the same level.

Fair. One point about Embree that I'd add is that he inherited a situation where we'd had a lame duck who couldn't recruit the previous 2 seasons. A lot about the program was shaky. He went scorched earth on it, which might be a fine approach if you're Chip Kelly with the cache and job security he has at UCLA but was a disastrous approach for where we were at the time at CU.

I'll go to my grave believing that the biggest thing that led to Embree's failure was the intense emotional hatred he had for Hawkins and Bohn with what they'd done to the program he loves. It blinded him to being able to accept that anything either of them had done or anything associated with them was something that could be worked with or built upon.

Oh I hold lots of people responsible for that debacle-Embree, McCartney/Buffs4Life, Bohn, Hawkins......I could go on, but I think you get it. There were a lot of people who bare responsibility for the state this program was in in 2013, and thankfully MM got us out of that-because I don't think we're here today without it. I said this when MM got fired-He's the only coach outside of McCartney in my lifetime who left this program in a better spot than it was when he found it.

Last edited:
I agree.

Strangely, that seems to work better in the corporate world than it does with sports teams though. Other than Siefert taking over for Walsh in San Fran, I'm struggling to think of examples where passing the torch internally kept things rolling at the same level.

Lol Utah State football? Boise keeps doing it too. I think promoting a coordinator works at the G5 level more often than not because its not hard to win at that level.

Last edited:
I agree.

Osborne, Chip Kelly at Oregon, Peterson, Switzer, and Lincoln Reilly are all good examples of this practice that have worked at the collegiate level.

I agree.

Boise State?

Osborne, Chip Kelly at Oregon, Peterson, Switzer, and Lincoln Reilly are all good examples of this practice that have worked at the collegiate level.
You're right. All situations where they had built up incredibly strong organizations and didn't need a HC to change culture. tOSU fits that mold.

Campbell is a relative unknown to OSU. He never played or worked there. Day worked there and is known. /story

Gene Smith might have a had a chat to gauge Campbell's interest in OSU, and for all we know he might have said no because he's more intrigued by the NFL or is fine where he is for right now-he's got back to back 8 win seasons in a program where that's traditionally pretty hard to do.

Seems to be a lot of smoke on the Ole Miss boards that Mac is going to be their DC.
I think that CU and MM will negotiate a settlement that's outside of the strict contract language. But if not, we can only hope that Ole Miss is successful this year and it springboards MM into a HC job somewhere in 2020.

Seems to be a lot of smoke on the Ole Miss boards that Mac is going to be their DC.
Are they actually excited for that? I kind of feel like he's a better head coach than coordinator, his defenses weren't actually anything special at Duke. Also I love the hypocrisy in hiring a guy they accused of pulling the race card to keep a commit here, but whatever.

Are they actually excited for that? I kind of feel like he's a better head coach than coordinator. Also I love the hypocrisy in hiring a guy they accused of pulling the race card to keep a commit here, but whatever.

Haven’t looked at it in detail but they seem to be happy with the idea. He”s a bit of a known commodity there due to his former work there as an assistant, and from their perspective they are getting a guy who 2 years ago was the national coach of the year to come in as a coordinator and backstop a relatively inexperienced head coach.

Are they actually excited for that? I kind of feel like he's a better head coach than coordinator, his defenses weren't actually anything special at Duke. Also I love the hypocrisy in hiring a guy they accused of pulling the race card to keep a commit here, but whatever.

He did win National Assistant of the year there, so I think he must have had a good defense, no?

I agree.

Tom Flores

Ari Wasserman reported talks back in Sept about a transition to Day. Gene Smith, AD, acknowledged the story at yesterday’s Presser. It has been going on for a while. Really gathered steam the last month. I have a hard time believing Day was ever s viable candidate in any way for the CU job.

Back