What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018-2019 Coaching Carousel..

The GM's job is to focus on personnel and hire the Head Coach. He should not be picking and choosing the Head Coach's staff, regardless of what he has to lose. If you are hiring a guy to be your HC, but don't trust him to bring in the guys he needs to be successful, then why are you hiring him in the first place? It's a dysfunctional model and it's part of why the Jets will stay awful and why the Broncos have been so bad.
You answered your own question- that's why he didn't get the job. The GM probably didn't like his choice of OC and is very concerned with the development of Darnold. It's common practice for the GM to look over the list of coaches the prospective HC would bring in.

It goes on everywhere, you just took two examples of bad teams to fit your point. Gary Kubiak was pretty highly sought after this cycle, so that's actually a bad point. This team won a super bowl three years ago. In fact, not keeping Wade Phillips proved to be a poor decision.

You answered your own question- that's why he didn't get the job. The GM probably didn't like his choice of OC and is very concerned with the development of Darnold. It's common practice for the GM to look over the list of coaches the prospective HC would bring in.

It goes on everywhere, you just took two examples of bad teams to fit your point. Gary Kubiak was pretty highly sought after this cycle, so that's actually a bad point. This team won a super bowl three years ago. In fact, not keeping Wade Phillips proved to be a poor decision.

Same reason Fangio was hired, he was cool with Elway pushing Kubiak on him.

Same reason Fangio was hired, he was cool with Elway pushing Kubiak on him.
I doubt the Jets pushed anyone on Gase, more likely they liked the staff more for the development of Darnold that he suggested than Rhule's.

Not sure why you're acting like Gary Kubiak is a bum coach. Consider the Broncos lucky to have him, he's a great QB tutor and a super bowl winning HC who has a ton of experience. Hell, he made Brock Osweiler look like a 17 mil man. There is a lot to question about the Broncos but Fangio/Kubiak are probably the best decisions that they have made in the last three years. Pairing Fangio with Von Miller and Bradley Chubb is dynamite imo. That leaves the offense to Kubiak.

Saban's staff will be filled with a ton of new faces again next year.
Klatt mentioned the other day that Saban has lost 13 assistant coaches over the last 4 years and has had a different coordinator combination for each of the last 4 seasons. It was part of his larger point that when a program is run as a football factory, this sort of thing happens and there comes a point where a let down is inevitable. Looks like he's lost another 3 assistants so far this offseason and I bet there will be more?

Is this an unusually active year in coaching changes, or is it just that I'm paying more attention?

Oooooh! A puzzle. I love puzzles.
We used to have an entire thread dedicated to puzzles, riddles, and the like. Some snooty mod didn't like it and axed the whole deal. That was a sad day.

One unintended negative consequence manifested itself in pun creep, I believe.

Klatt mentioned the other day that Saban has lost 13 assistant coaches over the last 4 years and has had a different coordinator combination for each of the last 4 seasons. It was part of his larger point that when a program is run as a football factory, this sort of thing happens and there comes a point where a let down is inevitable. Looks like he's lost another 3 assistants so far this offseason and I bet there will be more?

I hear that Saban is really hard to work for. He is harder on the assistant coaches than he is on the kids. (He figures that the coaches are getting paid so he can yell at them a lot more than I can the kids).

I’ve always felt like that was the reason for the high turnover. It seems to be catching up with him.

I hear that Saban is really hard to work for. He is harder on the assistant coaches than he is on the kids. (He figures that the coaches are getting paid so he can yell at them a lot more than I can the kids).

I’ve always felt like that was the reason for the high turnover. It seems to be catching up with him.
It’s a place for elite players to practice and play against other elite players who aspire to play football for a living. It’s a job at Alabama. It’s also a launch pad for great coaches to get an opportunity for quick advancement and eventually get their own HC gig. It’s the closest thing we’ve seen to an NFL franchise.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...an-state-coaching-staff-changes-mark-dantonio

Michigan State head coach Mark Dantonio has announced the following after a season in which his offense ranked No. 125 in yards per play, its fourth straight year of below average production:
  • Running backs coach Dave Warner is now quarterbacks coach
  • Quarterbacks coach Brad Salem is now running backs coach
Also:
  • Offensive line coach Mark Staten is now tight ends coach
  • Tight ends coach Jim Bollman is now offensive line coach
And finally:
  • Defensive backs coach Don Treadwell is now wide receivers coach
  • Wide receivers coach Terrence Samuel is now defensive backs coach

Probably not as weird as it sounds. Warner was their QB coach from 2007-2012. The TE coach has coached both TE and OL for 30 years.
Staten was the TE coach before he had become the OL coach. And so on....

Back