What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018 Buffs Advanced Statistics Thread

Fun update. Not.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...zo333PqSetw52kEGgbXKb6viGZSbYuJugvRR/pubhtml#

We are not efficient. bottom 3d in the nation. The only thing holding this offense up are our explosive plays (30th). Passing game is decidedly average. Our Rushing efficiency is starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel and is in the 100's. We suck in the red zone.

FYI, outside of that long run by McMillian when he broke a tackle at the LOS and Montez's 50 yard scramble, CU averaged less than 3 ypc against OSU, who is 3d worst in the nation and allowing 6.74 ypc. McMillian had 52 yards on 19 carries. Ugh.

If you look at OSU's advanced stats, they are WORST IN THE NATION in defending the run. And that was the effort we put up against them. They are also top 10 worst defense in the nation overall. We scored 27 points on offense, at home, against that ****. Absolutely pathetic.

Defense is hurting with all the secondary injuries. Now 90th in standard downs success rate. All we are good at is stopping the big play, but teams are moving at will.

Fun update. Not.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...zo333PqSetw52kEGgbXKb6viGZSbYuJugvRR/pubhtml#

We are not efficient. bottom 3d in the nation. The only thing holding this offense up are our explosive plays (30th). Passing game is decidedly average. Our Rushing efficiency is starting to scrape the bottom of the barrel and is in the 100's. We suck in the red zone.

FYI, outside of that long run by McMillian when he broke a tackle at the LOS and Montez's 50 yard scramble, CU averaged less than 3 ypc against OSU, who is 3d worst in the nation and allowing 6.74 ypc. McMillian had 52 yards on 19 carries. Ugh.

If you look at OSU's advanced stats, they are WORST IN THE NATION in defending the run. And that was the effort we put up against them. They are also top 10 worst defense in the nation overall. We scored 27 points on offense, at home, against that ****. Absolutely pathetic.

Defense is hurting with all the secondary injuries. Now 90th in standard downs success rate. All we are good at is stopping the big play, but teams are moving at will.

That offensive game plan/performance against OSU was atrocious. Chev's promise of a pass efficient offense just hasn't materialized even though the pieces are in place for it. Yes, our OL sucks, but that doesn't matter so much in a quick pass offense. We have a good veteran QB and receivers. We just can't do it.

That offensive game plan/performance against OSU was atrocious. Chev's promise of a pass efficient offense just hasn't materialized even though the pieces are in place for it. Yes, our OL sucks, but that doesn't matter so much in a quick pass offense. We have a good veteran QB and receivers. We just can't do it.
Montez is just so inconsistent when he thinks he doesn't have time (OL, heyyy). He locks into receivers whenever he's stressed out. That works great when Viska is around, but in crunch time it haunts him. Old example: That throw to little mac for the penalty against nebraska. Awful. New example: locking into KD, then Juwann in OT. Juwann was open to the right on the throw to KD that was tipped, and Juwann was double covered on the final play, with guys about to come open in the back of the endzone. UGH

CU is down to 73rd. We're wedged in nicely between Miami OH and Southern Miss. We have the 69th best offense, the 72nd best defense and the 85th best STs.

We're the 3rd worst team in the Pac12.

Two years after partying ways with Mr Elliott, Kentucky is rocking the nation's 6th best defense. Tim DeRuyter, the guy that many AllBuffs members were interested in, took Cal from 106th to 19th in just 2 years. Hmmm.
Wilcox / Deruyter is a pretty solid defensive combination - if their offense wasn’t complete dogs**t they’d be scary.

Two years after partying ways with Mr Elliott, Kentucky is rocking the nation's 6th best defense. Tim DeRuyter, the guy that many AllBuffs members were interested in, took Cal from 106th to 19th in just 2 years. Hmmm.
Weird what good P5 coaching can do.

Down to 79th now. Below 27 G5 programs. 15th worst P5 program.

Only one facet of our game is P5 quality: run defense:

Run Offense: 106
Pass Offense: 68
Run Defense: 41
Pass Defense: 76
STs: 89

What I don't get is what happened to our pass defense. It's been our strength for so long. Our DBs are 120th in havoc.

What I don't get is what happened to our pass defense. It's been our strength for so long. Our DBs are 120th in havoc.
And that's with a much improved pass rush. The secondary has been abysmal this year. One bright spot is Abrams and I'm glad he's back in 2019.

Miller was supposed to be our best CB, played very little and now gone for the season. Abrams has been solid to very good when healthy but has been playing with some injuries that have clearly impacted his performance.

People have been down on Wigley and Udoffia but I have seen some good things from them. Unfortunately they are still early in development and have been asked to do some things they aren't ready for. Wigley has been put in one on one coverage on the open side with some #1 recievers, not a recipe for success especially when Eliot is using 2 or 3 man rush packages and the QB is unpressured.

It drives me nuts when I see our safeties in man coverage against receivers downfield. There is a reason that Fisher is a safety, not a corner. He is good in tight spaces but not chasing guys who are faster than he is. Worthington even moreso. Evan very well could end up in the NFL but it won't be because of his coverage skills. Opponents are repeatedly scheming us into coverages that leave our safeties in coverage. That is almost as bad as when we see Taylor or Lewis in man coverage against not a TE or RB but against a teams #1 WR. You can see the opponents sideline starting to celebrate as soon as the ball is snapped.

We don't have the quality of DBs we have had in recent years. We don't have an Oliver, a Spoon, a Ted, etc. but when healthy our DBs are good enough. They aren't good enough to overcome bad scheme in addition to injuries.

And that's with a much improved pass rush. The secondary has been abysmal this year. One bright spot is Abrams and I'm glad he's back in 2019.

I’ve been as critical as anyone about the team as a whole (especially the OL). We were thin to start the year at DB and inuries have been really devistating. I do think it’s hard to play safety with young or untalented CBs in front of you. Its a trust and react position as much as any on the field.

I agree about Wigley and Uddofia; they are not the level of CB we need to be competative. I think Abrams and Miller, even 24 (?), are or will be.

When Worthington went down (twice), we went from average to bad. The really rough part is lack of integration and communication. Knowing that we are struggling to comminicate at game speed, OCs can watch and scheme incredibly effectively against our DBs.

It was much better against WSU, which gives me some hope for last two games. I would love to see closer press coverage overall, though.

I’ve been as critical as anyone about the team as a whole (especially the OL). We were thin to start the year at DB and inuries have been really devistating. I do think it’s hard to play safety with young or untalented CBs in front of you. Its a trust and react position as much as any on the field.

I agree about Wigley and Uddofia; they are not the level of CB we need to be competative. I think Abrams and Miller, even 24 (?), are or will be.

When Worthington went down (twice), we went from average to bad. The really rough part is lack of integration and communication. Knowing that we are struggling to comminicate at game speed, OCs can watch and scheme incredibly effectively against our DBs.

It was much better against WSU, which gives me some hope for last two games. I would love to see closer press coverage overall, though.
Maddox had a pretty nice game even though most folks will only remember the questionable judgment personal foul.

I also like how Rakestraw has come along. Hypolite needs to play more these last 2 weeks.

At corner, I've liked what I've seen from Mehki Blackmon. He has had missed assignments, but he has also flashed more potential imo and needs the reps over guys who we know we can't win with.

Maddox had a pretty nice game even though most folks will only remember the questionable judgment personal foul.

I also like how Rakestraw has come along. Hypolite needs to play more these last 2 weeks.

At corner, I've liked what I've seen from Mehki Blackmon. He has had missed assignments, but he has also flashed more potential imo and needs the reps over guys who we know we can't win with.

Blackmon needs to live in the weight room this offseason.

Huh? Wigley and Udoffia are not "early in their development."

Udoffia is a Soph, Wigley in his second year of major college ball. Each has shown some signs of ability. As noted they weren't supposed to be starting. They should have been backing up Miller and Abrams and seeing limited action. Both have their weaknesses but I don't call them terrible by any means. They certainly aren't close to the guys we have had prior to them but I think our pass defense problems go much deeper than blaming a couple back-up CBs.

Udoffia is a Soph, Wigley in his second year of major college ball. Each has shown some signs of ability. As noted they weren't supposed to be starting. They should have been backing up Miller and Abrams and seeing limited action. Both have their weaknesses but I don't call them terrible by any means. They certainly aren't close to the guys we have had prior to them but I think our pass defense problems go much deeper than blaming a couple back-up CBs.

Udoffia is a redshirt soph with starting experience. Wigley is a redshirt junior (he redshirted at Georgia Tech before going JUCO). Neither is young.

They are backup corners, of course they are expected to play at some point. It is this experimental concept other teams call "depth."

And no, they have not shown much ability. They have been really bad.

Udoffia was in the 2016 class. 3rd year in the program and was a part-time starter last year.

Wigley is a 4th year junior who was brought in 2 years ago as a JUCO transfer -- something you do in recruiting to fill immediate needs, not as a development project.

If you consider that inexperienced or young, or you believe that it's ok to have guys on your roster who are there to be backups and you'd never trust to start, then your expectations on recruiting and development are completely out of whack.

Hopefully you'll back off on this one, because it's an absolutely infuriating line of reasoning to see excuse making and low expectations to this degree from fans.

Udoffia was in the 2016 class. 3rd year in the program and was a part-time starter last year.

Wigley is a 4th year junior who was brought in 2 years ago as a JUCO transfer -- something you do in recruiting to fill immediate needs, not as a development project.

If you consider that inexperienced or young, or you believe that it's ok to have guys on your roster who are there to be backups and you'd never trust to start, then your expectations on recruiting and development are completely out of whack.

Hopefully you'll back off on this one, because it's an absolutely infuriating line of reasoning to see excuse making and low expectations to this degree from fans.

I'm not saying that they are good. I will say that they have been put into some tough spots. As the season has gone on opponents have figured us out and been able to create the match-ups that they want. I don't care who you are if you aren't Bama or close you don't want your 4th CB in man coverage on the open side of the field with the opponents best receiver with no pressure on the passer. That CB is going to end up looking bad. Not only have we done that but we have seen opponents abusing us getting WRs in individual coverage against our safeties and even individual deep coverage against our LBs. What doe we see next from the resident genius Eliot? Gamboa covering WRs outside?

I am not and have not called Udoffia or Wigley starting quality CBs, I do think some of the criticism thrown at them though deserves to go to Eliot for putting limited players in position to fail.

Back