What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018 Buffs Advanced Statistics Thread

Well, this is a Captain Obvious post. A lot of those explosive plays, we had guys in position to limit it to a small gain and what not. Only problem is, who was in position to make said play. We have some guys that are sure tacklers. Then, we have some that are shoddy, at best. My hope is some of those guys can improve at that. It would be in their best interest to do so or we will have a few long games this year.

LTmr-lUi_400x400.jpg

Well, this is a Captain Obvious post. A lot of those explosive plays, we had guys in position to limit it to a small gain and what not. Only problem is, who was in position to make said play. We have some guys that are sure tacklers. Then, we have some that are shoddy, at best. My hope is some of those guys can improve at that. It would be in their best interest to do so or we will have a few long games this year.
Indicative of poor safety play

Fantastic ways to look at a lot of details about this team. I still really like where we are at as a whole!!!
I expect Chiv to learn a lot this week and to fine tune the play calling. The TE's need to get involved, and you could easily run all the WR down the field and then open up the middle of the field for them.
Second, I had really hoped that Montez would learn good ball handling skills from Roper, so that we could inject some nice play action or other types of smart ways to move Montez around to avoid blitz and pressure packages. I do think that taking a sack is better than a turnover, and if we can improve each week, then we will be fine.
Finally, Miller is going to come in and make the CB play a whole lot better, and I hope that Fisher and Worthington have been holding back and are ready to play way better down the stretch.

The teams we have beat suck and it now has me worried. I know playing two rivals back to back + playing on the road both games counts for something? and playing a jacked-up nu at their 1st home game/coach coming out party has to count for something...I am just hoping the coaches and players realize where they are and what is in front of them. They are in great position and the schedule plays out nicely. Got to get it done 1 game at a time. This Friday is a great time to work on the up tempo and strike fast offense, while D needs to really focus on getting pressure on the QB.

The teams we have beat suck and it now has me worried. I know playing two rivals back to back + playing on the road both games counts for something? and playing a jacked-up nu at their 1st home game/coach coming out party has to count for something...I am just hoping the coaches and players realize where they are and what is in front of them. They are in great position and the schedule plays out nicely. Got to get it done 1 game at a time. This Friday is a great time to work on the up tempo and strike fast offense, while D needs to really focus on getting pressure on the QB.
We were playing backups in 2 of those 3 games in the 3rd quarter. In the other, we outscored the other team 19-7 once we started making adjustments that worked (last part of the 2nd quarter and the 2nd half against the Nubs).

Being worried is a fool's errand.

We are definitely good. How good is a wide open question.

We were playing backups in 2 of those 3 games in the 3rd quarter. In the other, we outscored the other team 19-7 once we started making adjustments that worked (last part of the 2nd quarter and the 2nd half against the Nubs).

Being worried is a fool's errand.

We are definitely good. How good is a wide open question.
That’s some confusciousism **** right there.

That’s some confusciousism **** right there.
I have no idea what "confusciousism" might mean. Google tells me you might have meant "confucianism".

Given that you don't believe altitude impacts athletic performance at elite levels, I'm inclined to not take Google's word for it and just ask: what is your intent, given the current structure of your post is nonsensical?

I have no idea what "confusciousism" might mean. Google tells me you might have meant "confucianism".

Given that you don't believe altitude impacts athletic performance at elite levels, I'm inclined to not take Google's word for it and just ask: what is your intent, given the current structure of your post is nonsensical?
Ha. Nice. Because I’m walking through an airport and my phone hates me.
Confucianism. This.

I can’t stop laughing at this.

Advanced stat profiles are up. A few that stood out to me:

Overall: 44
Offense: 42
Defense: 53
STs: 41

OFFENSE
Pct. of first downs coming on 1st or 2nd down: 9th
Passing down sack rate: 125th
Rushing stuff rate: 46th

DEFENSE
Passing marginal efficiency*: 14th
Passing marginal explosiveness*: 3rd
Rushing marginal efficiency*: 86th

Passing defense has been better than I suspected. Rushing has been worse. Offense line has been serviceable in run blocking. It's been absolutely awful of pass blocking on passing downs.

Advanced stat profiles are up. A few that stood out to me:

Overall: 44
Offense: 42
Defense: 53
STs: 41

OFFENSE
Pct. of first downs coming on 1st or 2nd down: 9th
Passing down sack rate: 125th
Rushing stuff rate: 46th

DEFENSE
Passing marginal efficiency*: 14th
Passing marginal explosiveness*: 3rd
Rushing marginal efficiency*: 86th

Passing defense has been better than I suspected. Rushing has been worse. Offense line has been serviceable in run blocking. It's been absolutely awful of pass blocking on passing downs.
We are now favored in every game but USC and UW. But, to my "hold onto your butts" thread, we are favored by less than a TD in all games but OSU, and a field goal or less in all of the remaining games but ASU.

Expected win range is now 7-9, with 8 and 9 more likely.

We are good on offense when we stay ahead of the sticks. If we get behind, we are bottom third in the nation. At least.

Defensive stat that is interesting: On blitzing downs, we aren't very good at stopping teams, but we are good at not giving up big plays.

OL is improving.

Overall conclusion: This team is ok at nearly everything but pass protection in passing downs, but elite at nothing. We play bend but don't break D.

We are now favored in every game but USC and UW. But, to my "hold onto your butts" thread, we are favored by less than a TD in all games but OSU, and a field goal or less in all of the remaining games but ASU.

We are good on offense when we stay ahead of the sticks. If we get behind, we are bottom third in the nation. At least.

Defensive stat that is interesting: On blitzing downs, we aren't very good at stopping teams, but we are good at not giving up big plays.

OL is improving.

Overall conclusion: This team is ok at nearly everything but pass protection in passing downs, but elite at nothing. We play bend but don't break D.
"Bend but don't break" is just fine as long as we don't break. UCLA had 4 scoring drives but 3 of them were field goals. If we force opponents to play by 3 while we play by 7, we don't have to win yardage battles.

OL is improving.

ESPN doesn't seem to think so, but what do they know. Out of curiosity, where are you getting your info?
upload_2018-10-2_8-41-49.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-10-2_8-41-11.png
    upload_2018-10-2_8-41-11.png
    49.6 KB · Views: 3
I see it as a lot of teams are playing the bend don't break D - that really skews stats... teams are putting up insane 450+ to 600 yards a game and still losing.

OL is improving.

This is where having elite special teams like in 2017 would really help. Just the step back in that area has eliminated the thin margin for error this team had. Going to be a rollercoaster final right games.

Back