What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018 College Football News

I wouldn't mind this.

Puts a TON more pressure on ADs and their hiring effectiveness. I wonder if this will have the effect of slowing down the coaching carousel? Interesting.

Mixed feelings on the proposal...the kids need to pick the school more so than the coaching staff but I am generally for empowering players.

Puts a TON more pressure on ADs and their hiring effectiveness. I wonder if this will have the effect of slowing down the coaching carousel? Interesting.

Mixed feelings on the proposal...the kids need to pick the school more so than the coaching staff but I am generally for empowering players.
Picking for the school instead of the coach is a nice thing to say - and they better like the school if they commit to it - but let's relate it to our own realities.

Coach leaves, you end up with a different culture and scheme. Your role and the expectations of you will often become different.

In our own jobs, if our boss was replaced, the culture of the company changed and our own job was redefined with different responsibilities, how many of us would change jobs if we had an opportunity we liked?

Picking for the school instead of the coach is a nice thing to say - and they better like the school if they commit to it - but let's relate it to our own realities.

Coach leaves, you end up with a different culture and scheme. Your role and the expectations of you will often become different.

In our own jobs, if our boss was replaced, the culture of the company changed and our own job was redefined with different responsibilities, how many of us would change jobs if we had an opportunity we liked?
A player can like the campus, facilities, tradition, uniforms, etc, but each one of them ultimately commits to a program because they develop a strong relationship with the staff, first and foremost, and all those ancillary things second. Maybe programs like Alabama or Ohio State can pull in recruits solely because of the name on the front of the jersey and the prestige that comes along with it, but 95% of everyone else can't.

Good point. I like the company I work for but the guy who hired me (who is awesome) is not my current boss and I don't care for him nearly as much.

There is an old saying in corporate America "People don't leave companies, they leave their managers". This is somewhat similar - the guys committed to play for a coach (and also liked the school). If that coach is gone, allowing them to re-assess their situation and potentially leave is fair.

A player can like the campus, facilities, tradition, uniforms, etc, but each one of them ultimately commits to a program because they develop a strong relationship with the staff, first and foremost, and all those ancillary things second. Maybe programs like Alabama or Ohio State can pull in recruits solely because of the name on the front of the jersey and the prestige that comes along with it, but 95% of everyone else can't.
I don’t think Alabama or Ohio State put their names on the front of the jerseys.

I’d take it one half step further and say the player can transfer without losing a year if the coach is fired, but not if the coach leaves if his own free will to go to another program. Splitting hairs? Yeah, probably. My reasoning is that it would put an additional damper on firing coaches, but wouldn’t be as tough on programs that lost their coach through no fault of their own.

I’d take it one half step further and say the player can transfer without losing a year if the coach is fired, but not if the coach leaves if his own free will to go to another program. Splitting hairs? Yeah, probably. My reasoning is that it would put an additional damper on firing coaches, but wouldn’t be as tough on programs that lost their coach through no fault of their own.
We could call it the 'Jim Leave It' rule.

The problem with this line of thinking is that it goes back to that common question about did a coach jump or was he pushed.

We do see coaches fired but very commonly what we see it the coach "resign" knowing that he did it because he was told if he didn't he would be fired. Then the question about going to another program, is that as a head coach or an assistant or sitting out a year before taking another job?

What do you do about coaches who retire, or who take a year off for medical reasons?

I'm kind of old school, I think kids should commit to a school, not a coach. I also know that with 18 year olds that isn't going to happen.

Problem with a rule like this is that a program that is down has an even harder time getting back up because changing coaches means that what quality players they have found and developed (and who were usually overlooked by the big boys first time around) can bail out and leave the program at zero again.

It may make more sense to say that a kid who has not reached the halfway point of his eligibility can leave without penalty if there is a coaching change, after that old rules apply.

Kids should commit to the school. If they committed with the idea of going to the NFL too bad for them since the NFL is too cheap to establish their own minor league football system for kids like that and instead relies on public supported universities to support their corporate welfare. Establishing a minor league for the NFL will not completely shut the door on kids going to the NFL out of college.

Players should not be allowed to transfer to the school that the coach leaves for. If they do it souls come with a stipulation that they have to sit the year and lose that year of eligibility, plus the new school should be required to pay the old school for the previous years. Actually that might not be a bad idea for any transfer, sit a year or new school pays back scholarship cost to prior school.

Commit to a school that if the coach left you would give the next guy a chance. No matter how much you love a school you can’t overcome ****ty relationships but if that coach is the only reason you are going there you are making a terrible decision.

I wasn’t sure where to post this because as much as I love to rip on the Huskers, this kind of thing is really depressing and I don’t take any joy in it knowing every fan base has their idiots. Hopefully, Nebraska does the right thing here.
The guy is clearly on the fringe. I find his views abhorrent. But, out of curiosity, what is the right thing UNL should do?

Back