What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018 CU Football Scholarship Roster

Going to try and reset this thread away from who might be departing. As I look at the chart above a few things really jump out at me.

1. QB - Sam Noyer would have been a guaranteed starter at CU in most of the previous ten years. Yet looking at the depth CU has at QB now, he could become the forgotten man on the roster. Serious upgrade in top end quality and depth.
2. RB - Thank gosh for McMillan otherwise RB would be frightening. That being said, I think Fontenot is about to become a name we all pay attention to. Oh and I officially want to refer to him as, I Font Not. (as in I thought not).
3. WR - No one has blown up yet, but the depth there is impressive and hard to imagine there won't be three or four who have big, big, big years.
4. OL - Major worry, here is to hoping several of last years freshman can flat out play.
5. TE - I suspect this won't be a complete vacuum this year.
6. DL - Major worry, same as the OL.
7. OLB- A lot of unknowns here, so glad Falo is back.
8. ILB- Holy crap we have some depth here!! Fully expect Lewis and Landman to start, but that is a very deep position. If the DL can tie up the opposing OL this group is going to wreck havoc.
9. CB - Worried...so many unknowns...pair this with the DL and OLB unknowns and ugh.
10. S - Another very strong group for the Buffs.

It is highly unusual for a team to have a good year when its biggest areas of concerns are both lines. Hope we have a lot of those concerns answered in definitive fashion this spring.

It is highly unusual for a team to have a good year when its biggest areas of concerns are both lines. Hope we have a lot of those concerns answered in definitive fashion this spring.
This is all you really have to say. And we will learn nothing until the Nebraska game next year as we won't know if either of the lines are playing above expectations through practice and scrimmages against the talent that is on the other side of the ball. Kind of sucks, actually.

This is all you really have to say. And we will learn nothing until the Nebraska game next year as we won't know if either of the lines are playing above expectations through practice and scrimmages against the talent that is on the other side of the ball. Kind of sucks, actually.
True, but did it change the tone of the thread?

Going to try and reset this thread away from who might be departing. As I look at the chart above a few things really jump out at me.

1. QB - Sam Noyer would have been a guaranteed starter at CU in most of the previous ten years. Yet looking at the depth CU has at QB now, he could become the forgotten man on the roster. Serious upgrade in top end quality and depth.
2. RB - Thank gosh for McMillan otherwise RB would be frightening. That being said, I think Fontenot is about to become a name we all pay attention to. Oh and I officially want to refer to him as, I Font Not. (as in I thought not).
3. WR - No one has blown up yet, but the depth there is impressive and hard to imagine there won't be three or four who have big, big, big years.
4. OL - Major worry, here is to hoping several of last years freshman can flat out play.
8. ILB- Holy crap we have some depth here!! Fully expect Lewis and Landman to start, but that is a very deep position. If the DL can tie up the opposing OL this group is going to wreck havoc.
9. CB - Worried...so many unknowns...pair this with the DL and OLB unknowns and ugh.

Not as sold on Fontenot as you are, but I am a lot more comfortable with the cornerbacks than you are.

Fontenot nickname, no thanks. Also, i can't see Landman unseating a 3 year starter and captain (Gamboa) at ILB.

Fontenot nickname, no thanks. Also, i can't see Landman unseating a 3 year starter and captain (Gamboa) at ILB.
If one of the younger guys doesn't unseat Gamboa as a starter then I think we have a problem. Gamboa is a great Buff, but he has some athletic limitations that everyone is aware of. He has done an amazing job of playing well despite his limitations, but Landman showed glimpses of what he can do and so I just expect him to win the job.

Also, i can't see Landman unseating a 3 year starter and captain (Gamboa) at ILB.
I’ll be pissed if Landman isn’t starting pretty early in the season. He is a flat out playmaker. Gamboa is a three year starter because we didn’t have anybody better. That’s not the case now. Time for Nate to see the field - a lot.

You guys are smoking crack if you expect Gamboa to be outright benched.

What needs to happen is for the coaches to be more liberal with substitutions.
Who said anything about him being benched? Unless you are equating losing his starting job to being benched.

I do expect him to see less of the field than Landman. We need to have playmakers out there.

Lewis is a much bigger liability so far as he can't defend the run right at him.

Last edited:
Who said anything about him being benched? Unless you are equating losing his starting job to being benched.

I do expect him to see less of the field than Landman. We need to have playmakers out there.

Landman seems like a strong SAM type LB, but not sure he has shown anything to hand him the reins at MIKE.

Gamboa can play 1st Down, 2nd and Short, and 3rd and Inches
Rotate Landman and Lewis on those downs, then on 2nd and Long and all Passing 3rd Downs, Landman and Lewis should be in.
Overall, they could all play equally. IF Gamboa is in all the time, then we have a serious problem!!! There are other players that could and should also get some playing time. I am reserved to just hoping Gamboa subs out more, and does not hurt us against teams like Arizona, USC, UCLA where open field athletes and a certain running QB will smoke him.

Gamboa is a good player, so let’s stop selling him short. Yes, everybody acknowledges that he has some athletic limitations and can be a liability in certain matchups, but he’s probably the smartest and best communicator on the field and only the coaches really know how much that separates him from the other guys.

Gamboa is a good player, so let’s stop selling him short. Yes, everybody acknowledges that he has some athletic limitations and can be a liability in certain matchups, but he’s probably the smartest and best communicator on the field and only the coaches really know how much that separates him from the other guys.

College Defenses look over to the sideline to get the calls, don't they? How much adjustment does Gamboa really make? maybe he moves a DL over a little bit, but otherwise you can be the smartest kid, but then you gotta make the play, and when he was eye to eye with Ronald Jones, he was dead meat. Good Player, just curious to see the player rotation, he better not play more than 70% of snaps!

College Defenses look over to the sideline to get the calls, don't they? How much adjustment does Gamboa really make? maybe he moves a DL over a little bit, but otherwise you can be the smartest kid, but then you gotta make the play, and when he was eye to eye with Ronald Jones, he was dead meat. Good Player, just curious to see the player rotation, he better not play more than 70% of snaps!
There a lot of on-field calls made by the LBs that aren’t given from the sideline.

Gamboa being projected as a second team all pac 12 player —- yeah you guys are right he sure sucks! I realize this site hates on him but other folks sure don’t!

Gamboa being projected as a second team all pac 12 player —- yeah you guys are right he sure sucks! I realize this site hates on him but other folks sure don’t!
No one hates him, it was just very evident that landman needed more snaps down the stretch last year.

Gamboa is pretty much the definition of an average starting LB. He is not special and he is not terrible.

How he became elevated to being this "good" player by some people is actually pretty sad, especially given CU's history at the position.

Gamboa is pretty much the definition of an average starting LB. He is not special and he is not terrible.

How he became elevated to being this "good" player by some people is actually pretty sad, especially given CU's history at the position.

Russell played at 250 and was quicker. I'm not bashing gamboa, he busts his butt , it is what it is. As you stated , coaches have to be more liberal with their substitutions.

Back