What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018 CU Football Scholarship Roster

You guys are smoking crack if you expect Gamboa to be outright benched.

What needs to happen is for the coaches to be more liberal with substitutions.
Nor should Gamboa be benched. Are people forgetting how instrumental to the 2016 defense? He's like the Kough of our defense... just a very solid college player who you can trust to do his job. He'll be crazy productive this year if others are also doing their jobs.

Nor should Gamboa be benched. Are people forgetting how instrumental to the 2016 defense? He's like the Kough of our defense... just a very solid college player who you can trust to do his job. He'll be crazy productive this year if others are also doing their jobs.
A rotation of Gamboa, Lewis, and Landman would be ideal. More so Landman and Gamboa rotating depending on down/distance and situation.

Something I was expecting during recruiting but kept getting told otherwise was LJ Wallace at CB instead of S. Recent updates are that the CU coaches are thinking the same thing, so I'm switching his position in the OP table.

Other than Keeney, Hasselbach, and Mathewes, have there been any other announcements of players moving on?

Other than Keeney, Hasselbach, and Mathewes, have there been any other announcements of players moving on?
Nope. There are some guys who are trying to graduate in May, though. I think I remember hearing that for Lopez. For some of them who aren't going to get snaps here there's a nice opportunity to grad transfer and leverage that last year of eligibility to get grad school paid for. Or simply have the option of getting on with their lives by having the degree done.

Updated the 2018 roster in the OP. We're now at 87 scholarship players, 2 over the limit.

The biggest open question right now is probably how Isaac Miller's surgery and prognosis comes out. HCMM made it sound like a medical retirement would not be a surprise, unfortunately.

I'm curious about the safety depth after those four seniors move on after this season. More JUCO transfers?

Mac made it sound like there may be a couple others moving on after graduation in today’s media session.

Mac made it sound like there may be a couple others moving on after graduation in today’s media session.

Someone might play just so he can get into grad school? I really don't like that as a policy if we're keeping guys around who won't make the 2 deep just so the program can say "thank you" by giving them a free year of graduate school.

Someone might play just so he can get into grad school? I really don't like that as a policy if we're keeping guys around who won't make the 2 deep just so the program can say "thank you" by giving them a free year of graduate school.
It almost sounded like you could take it either way, like they wanted to hang it up so that they could go to grad school, or that they wanted to stay and go to grad school. The one about medical school would definitely be a hang-it-up situation as med school and football aren't compatible. There are probably some grad programs like a MBA that aren't compatible either.

I took his comment as, "some players are still deciding if they want to play with us this fall or just graduate and move on to grad school." I think it's possible a couple more are going to be leaving the program after graduation in May.

I took his comment as, "some players are still deciding if they want to play with us this fall or just graduate and move on to grad school." I think it's possible a couple more are going to be leaving the program after graduation in May.
This is most definitely what he meant. There's a few hurdles always:
1. Get accepted into a Grad program, not offered at CU
2. Get offered a scholarship at said school (unless you're elite, this generally means that HC has to get involved to help market the kid to Praire NW Technical or whatever).

Heard from a very good AD source that CU has turned down several grad transfer possibilities as those grad programs aren't accepting just anyone who the football coach wants. They have to get in on their own merits and there's no mechanism to "rent a player" into a grad program.

Last edited:
2. Get offered a scholarship at said school

Heard from a very good AD source that CU has turned down several grad transfer possibilities as those grad programs aren't accepting just anyone who the football coach wants. They have to get in on their own merits and there's no mechanism to "rent a player" into a grad program.

Just a point of curiosity, I wonder how many graduate transfer players across the country enrolling in these graduate programs actually finish the program. They should have a head start with getting a year of the program paid for and getting academic support services but how many drop after the first year or even the first semester and never finish.

If I were an administrator of a grad program I would want to consider these before taking a player into my program, especially if it involved taking a spot that would go to some other applicant more likely to finish the program.

I'm curious about the safety depth after those four seniors move on after this season. More JUCO transfers?
Ive seen Maddox around campus with no brace or anything on. So pretty optimistic he will be 100% come summer. He was pretty highly sought after.

Just a point of curiosity, I wonder how many graduate transfer players across the country enrolling in these graduate programs actually finish the program. They should have a head start with getting a year of the program paid for and getting academic support services but how many drop after the first year or even the first semester and never finish.

If I were an administrator of a grad program I would want to consider these before taking a player into my program, especially if it involved taking a spot that would go to some other applicant more likely to finish the program.
My instincts are that a small # actually finish 1 semester. Some definitely are serious about grad school though.
Does a kid with a minimum GPA in communications get into a CU grad program right out of undergrad? Which one? How's that going to sit with the academia types on the Hill? How's that compare to Nevada MBB, for example?

I think the med school candidate is Isaac Miller. So we shouldn't "double count" that one.

We're now at 86, 1 over the limit. Sounds like Isaac Miller is very likely to medically retire. If so, any further attrition will open scholarship spots.

That could mean grabbing a grad transfer or late qualifying JUCO. It could also mean promoting a walk-on to scholarship. Lucas Cooper (S) and Jack Shutack (OT) would seem to be possibilities there.

It could also mean promoting a walk-on to scholarship. Lucas Cooper (S)

300px-Daniel_Ruettiger_-_1975.jpg

2. Get offered a scholarship at said school (unless you're elite, this generally means that HC has to get involved to help market the kid to Praire NW Technical or whatever).

update: Tad confirms bolded above in this article.

"All options are open with that scholarship," Boyle said. "You look at advantages and disadvantages of different schools, and the graduate programs we have at Colorado are not easy to get in to. You can't take a typical kid who's an average or below average student and say hey, we're going to take him for a year and get him in a graduate program. It just doesn't work here.
"When I talk about the mission of this university and the values of this university and what this university stands for, that's not it. If he's a legitimate student who really wants to get a graduate degree and wants to play basketball, absolutely we're going to look at him. But a lot of these graduate transfers really have no interest in graduate school, and you're renting a player for six months in the guise of getting a graduate degree. That's not what we're about."

So CU is at the disadvantage that I thought we were at. So **** this grad transfer BS. It's for ASU, so we should abolish it.

Back