What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018 Defensive Line

I read this as he holds the line and creates a pile. Not a speed rush attacking gaps, but a absorb two guys while not giving ground. Another way to say this would be that he has two gap responsibility, making the backers free to absorb around the log jam in the middle.

For me, this is the essential piece of a three man line. When you have the guy that makes it work it is awesome. When you don’t, the defense doesn’t work. Unfortunately this has been a position of need for the Buffs more often than not.
Got it. Thanks.

It’s not a coincidence that our defense was elite Tupou senior year. I am amazed CU runs this D some years. It emphasized our weakness in line recruiting.

love the 3-4 if you have the NT.It just seems these guys are nearly impossible to recruit out of HS. Very few 17 year olds who are already 330 lbs in a good way. We have no shot at the three or four per year who are. Its way worse than projecting and recruiting OLs. That's why I think MM goes the JC route for NT.

He may be able to play all positions, but not sure he’s Pac-12 quality. Seems to get pushed around.
He's effective with limited snaps and letting him stunt to shoot a gap when he's in at NT. I think he's a 25ish snaps a game type guy and he's good in that role. Hopefully what he talked about in the article about working with Drake on improving techniques will click, because he definitely needs to be a technician to be playing on a 3-4 DL at maybe 280 lbs.

He's effective with limited snaps and letting him stunt to shoot a gap when he's in at NT. I think he's a 25ish snaps a game type guy and he's good in that role. Hopefully what he talked about in the article about working with Drake on improving techniques will click, because he definitely needs to be a technician to be playing on a 3-4 DL at maybe 280 lbs.

This

He isn't a starter, he isn't a full time player.

If Javier can become that stopper in the middle he will wear down the offensive linemen. Franke then becomes the fresh guy off the bench who can get off the ball faster than the tired OL starters and make them adjust to a quick moves instead of power moves.

This becomes an even bigger deal if he comes in on obvious passing downs and gives them a potential to attack the pocket from the middle.

I think you guys are talking about Franke, yes? Anyway, with him, you guys see him as situational football player as far as down and distance?

To me, Franke is a guy they throw into NT as a gimmick to confuse. He isn't really doing zero technique most of the time when I watch him there and when he does he gets mauled. When he started, out of necessity, he wasn't much worse than Edwards, but I don't know what that means.

I wonder if a better NT would be Mulumba, if he could get up to a solid 300. Just seems to have a lot of leverage and stoutness when I watch him.

To me, Franke is a guy they throw into NT as a gimmick to confuse. He isn't really doing zero technique most of the time when I watch him there and when he does he gets mauled. When he started, out of necessity, he wasn't much worse than Edwards, but I don't know what that means.

I wonder if a better NT would be Mulumba, if he could get up to a solid 300. Just seems to have a lot of leverage and stoutness when I watch him.
Franke can be effective on 3rd and long as the NT when he can just rush the passer and use his speed. All other scenarios and he just doesn't have the size and strength to play the position.

Franke can be effective on 3rd and long as the NT when he can just rush the passer and use his speed. All other scenarios and he just doesn't have the size and strength to play the position.

wish his arms were longer for that. Seems like every time he gets to the QB or RB, he puts his arms part way around them and then they just break through the tackle.

They tried some four man fronts in pass rush situations this summer. 2DTs. 2DEs. I recall Franks, Lang, Falo and Callier in a couple of sets.

Mustafa is rated higher than Javier or Mulumba in the 247s countdown. He drew the most praise during the spring and is expected to be the starter at LDE.

Looks like this was a hugely important JUCO signing for us.

There's a lot hope on the DL, but that's about it. We hope Mulumba and Javier can take the next step to become really good players. We hope Mustafa can step in and be a solid starter in year one at the P5 level. We hope Terrance Lang is everything his recruiting profile suggests he can be, and we hope the same thing for Antwine. Add in a veteran, albeit mediocre rotational guy like Franke, and I think the DL could be a solid unit IF all those "hopes" come to fruition.

There's a lot hope on the DL, but that's about it. We hope Mulumba and Javier can take the next step to become really good players. We hope Mustafa can step in and be a solid starter in year one at the P5 level. We hope Terrance Lang is everything his recruiting profile suggests he can be, and we hope the same thing for Antwine. Add in a veteran, albeit mediocre rotational guy like Franke, and I think the DL could be a solid unit IF all those "hopes" come to fruition.
Yep. For anyone paying attention, there's a clear and logical path to this being a quality DL. However, there are too many questions at this time for any of us to be saying "mark it" that they'll be an effective unit.

Is there a true pass rusher in that group?
Not really. But that's not really what 3-4 DLs do. They're not 1-gap style guys. Warren Sapp would have been a terrible 3-4 DL. Supposedly Mustafa is quick and plays with a ton of leverage, though, so I expect him to bring pressure.

Don’t forget Tchangam.
Yep, another "hope". Honestly, the only guys on the DL/OLB who I don't feel the need to apply the "hope" label to are Callier and Falo. I've seen enough of them to feel pretty good about their abilities to be a good players in the front seven. Literally everybody else is in the "hope" and "wait-and-see" categories.

At this point, I'd take a D that doesn't give up >5 ypc and keeps the QB in the pocket. The 2016 team got to the QB pretty well (mostly Gilbert), but much of that was the result of excellent coverage. I think that is our formula for success until or unless we start recruiting elite pass rushers.

Im excited to see lang come off the edge. A massive issue was turnovers last year, if we get more pressure and turnovers or just simply force punts to get better field position, the offense will benefit greatly.

Im excited to see lang come off the edge. A massive issue was turnovers last year, if we get more pressure and turnovers or just simply force punts to get better field position, the offense will benefit greatly.
At the least, Lang gives a different look with the height to disrupt passing lanes/ QB vision.

At the least, Lang gives a different look with the height to disrupt passing lanes/ QB vision.
I think the rotation this year will be the key, cycling in Antwine and Lang could give us a much bigger boost than the paper mâché d line we had last year.

Back