What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018 Defensive Line

ahoelsken

Anybody heard anything on Javier Edwards in Spring ball/summer workouts?

Last edited by a moderator:
There has been a lot of good news about Javier this off season. Specifically about his conditioning and strength work. Here is some stuff from Howell's recent articles. He should have a much better year two. Also, he's changed his number to 33, which looks better on him than 9.

20180608__09BZFBMw~1.jpg

"Edwards went from 390 pounds in January of 2017 to a much leaner - and stronger - 335 now.

"He's a stronger human being pound for pound," Wilson said. "He's done a much better job with everything that we've asked him to do."

http://www.buffzone.com/football-cubuffs/ci_31932478/buffs-lines-have-had-productive-offseason

"Impressive work
True sophomore Laviska Shenault is not only the strongest receiver on the team, he's one of the strongest players on the entire roster.
Shenault, who is 6-foot-1, 220 pounds, squats nearly 500 pounds and has a goal of getting to 550 before his CU career is over. By comparison, defensive lineman Javier Edwards and offensive lineman Jake Moretti posted squats of 550 and 525, respectively, in April.

Shenault is in a lifting group that includes Moretti and center Colby Pursell, who squatted 505 in April.
"He's special," Wilson said of Shenault. "Viska's a freak."

http://www.buffzone.com/football-cu...e-emphasizing-leadership-buffs-this-offseason

There has been a lot of good news about Javier this off season. Specifically about his conditioning and strength work. Here is some stuff from Howell's recent articles. He should have a much better year two. Also, he's changed his number to 33, which looks better on him than 9.

20180608__09BZFBMw~1.jpg

"Edwards went from 390 pounds in January of 2017 to a much leaner - and stronger - 335 now.

"He's a stronger human being pound for pound," Wilson said. "He's done a much better job with everything that we've asked him to do."

http://www.buffzone.com/football-cubuffs/ci_31932478/buffs-lines-have-had-productive-offseason

"Impressive work
True sophomore Laviska Shenault is not only the strongest receiver on the team, he's one of the strongest players on the entire roster.
Shenault, who is 6-foot-1, 220 pounds, squats nearly 500 pounds and has a goal of getting to 550 before his CU career is over. By comparison, defensive lineman Javier Edwards and offensive lineman Jake Moretti posted squats of 550 and 525, respectively, in April.

Shenault is in a lifting group that includes Moretti and center Colby Pursell, who squatted 505 in April.
"He's special," Wilson said of Shenault. "Viska's a freak."

http://www.buffzone.com/football-cu...e-emphasizing-leadership-buffs-this-offseason

That's probably the highlight of the offseason-he's gotta be able to consistently take on double teams for the sake of the entire line.

Did some editing.

To the question in the OP:

http://www.buffzone.com/football-cubuffs/ci_31734564/slimmer-javier-edwards-better-buffs
This spring, Edwards is just under 340 pounds and feeling much better than at any time during 2017.

"It's a good feeling when you wake up in the morning and you see the body changing," he said. "It motivates you to keep going right."

On the field, Edwards is hoping to make a bigger impact at nose tackle, and he's already seeing the benefits of his weight loss.

"It definitely makes me feel like I can play more," he said. "I can do more things, I can be more versatile. I just can help the team more."

They reportedly want Javier to play more “horizontal” this year. Seems strange to me for 3-4 NT

They reportedly want Javier to play more “horizontal” this year. Seems strange to me for 3-4 NT
Didn't that comment relate to both lines having the type of strength & leverage to move the line of scrimmage (as opposed to relying solely on shooting gaps on D and stretch/pull influence blocking on O)?

Didn't that comment relate to both lines having the type of strength & leverage to move the line of scrimmage (as opposed to relying solely on shooting gaps on D and stretch/pull influence blocking on O)?
I never saw it in full context. You may be right. 3-4 NTs don’t usually “slide” along LOS. Video of his hand speed was impressive. Those kinds of shots can neutralize a center. Keep center off his body. Phil Steele had him second team all P12!!??!!

I never saw it in full context. You may be right. 3-4 NTs don’t usually “slide” along LOS. Video of his hand speed was impressive. Those kinds of shots can neutralize a center. Keep center off his body. Phil Steele had him second team all P12!!??!!
Would be huge if that happened.

I read this as he holds the line and creates a pile. Not a speed rush attacking gaps, but a absorb two guys while not giving ground. Another way to say this would be that he has two gap responsibility, making the backers free to absorb around the log jam in the middle.

For me, this is the essential piece of a three man line. When you have the guy that makes it work it is awesome. When you don’t, the defense doesn’t work. Unfortunately this has been a position of need for the Buffs more often than not.

I read this as he holds the line and creates a pile. Not a speed rush attacking gaps, but a absorb two guys while not giving ground. Another way to say this would be that he has two gap responsibility, making the backers free to absorb around the log jam in the middle.

For me, this is the essential piece of a three man line. When you have the guy that makes it work it is awesome. When you don’t, the defense doesn’t work. Unfortunately this has been a position of need for the Buffs more often than not.

That is what I think Parcells called his "world problem." The problem being that there are very few two gap 3-4 NTs in the world who can play at that level.

That is what I think Parcells called his "world problem." The problem being that there are very few two gap 3-4 NTs in the world who can play at that level.
It’s not a coincidence that our defense was elite Tupou senior year. I am amazed CU runs this D some years. It emphasized our weakness in line recruiting.

Back