What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018 NCAA tournament thread

I'm happy for Jay Wright. I don't follow Nova too closely, but from afar, he's always seemed like a good, professional coach that cared about his program and players. I'm sure there's probably some dirty connection out there, but overall, he seems like one of the good ones. He also had to endure some trying times. He did not always do well in the tournament, and I'm sure fans wondered aloud if they needed to make a change. Fortunately for them, the admin kept Wright around.

Nova copies the GSW style and gets it done. Pretty amazing team. When they cook with grease from 3, it is impossible to beat them.

Nova copies the GSW style and gets it done. Pretty amazing team. When they cook with grease from 3, it is impossible to beat them.
Yep. Jay Wright recruits scorers and coaches them up to defend and rebound. And to share the rock. Probably helps that he’s not recruiting with the elites. With his way, he develops players within a system.

Tell you what man, this is one of the better teams I've seen in awhile. At least I got the Champ right, not much else though.:D

That was a really impressive tournament from Nova. Pretty sure they won every game by double digits.

Took a little longer than I thought it would, but Michigan isn't close to as good as Nova.

Jay Wright is on his way to being an HoF coach, imo. I've never been a huge Nova fan, although I loved Rollie and that 85 team. I can say though that it'll be hard to count them out anymore, as long as Wright's there.

As someone said earlier, he seems to be one of the good guys, too. It would totally suck if we ever find out differently, but it's a reality of college basketball that you can't ever be too sure anymore.

He’s on a run and is #1 at the moment. But K’s #1 overall for as long as he chooses to coach.

Disagree. Wright has taken the baton. Two national titles in three seasons, all with players that are unlikely to receive offers from kentucky/duke/carolina. No lottery picks or 5* guys. Just a great, well executed plan. This team could very well return intact next season.

He also seems grounded, and unlikely to be lured by NBA money.

Last edited:
Disagree. Wright has taken the baton. Two national titles in three seasons, all with players that are unlikely to receive offers from kentucky/duke/carolina. No lottery picks or 5* guys. Just a great, well executed plan. This team could very well return intact next season.

He also seems grounded, and unlikely to be lured by NBA money.

To each their own on who the top coach is - I think it's all splitting hairs between coaches in the top tier.

I just want to clarify the bolded though. He absolutely has lottery picks and 5 star guys. Brunson was a 5 star, and their name definitely shows up every now and then amongst five star recruits. Sure, they don't go after as many OADs as Duke, Kentucky, etc. (or really too hard after the clear, consensus OADs), but Jay Wright definitely goes after some big time recruits. He has a guy coming in next year that's going to be good - Javon Quinearly (sp?); 5 star talent. I had to look up Bridges, but he too was a 4 star. It's not all some magical development of players - Wright recruits well to what he's trying to accomplish and what he knew he could get done. With his success recently, I wouldn't be surprised to see Nova more in the hunt for bigger recruits.

And as for being lured by NBA money... ... .... ...hush now...he's coming to the Nuggets! Come to Denver Jay!

Brunson was a 4* and the other finalist for his service was Illinois. None of the services gave him 5 stars.
Yep. No one is saying that Nova doesn't recruit well. But the way they recruit is Top 100 or 150 guys who fit their system. And they load the entire roster with guys who fit that profile.

Regardless of what he was doing before, 2 titles in 3 years is going to put Nova in the fight for almost any recruit in the country. I imagine that Kentucky, UNC and Duke will still be able to pull more big time guys than Nova, but at the same time - it's also up to Wright et al if they want to go after the OADs.

At any rate., no other team in the tournament came close to the focus and intensity of Villanova. That's coaching.

Also directly due to coaching was the level of unselfishness Nova showed. They have a bunch of talented players and some score more than others but they all put team in front of their own games. Also playing against Nova you are going to be facing 5 guys playing defense the whole game. Some are better defenders than others but they all play hard on both ends.

The other thing that really stands out with Nova is their depth of scoring talent. Dante went off for 31 - from the bench. Kenny & Charles were saying after the game that he probably wasn't in the top 4 or 5 names on the list in the scouting report for Michigan of who they needed to stop to win the game. And he would have likely only played limited minutes if the starter at his position had been on his game.

Villanova might be the model for the future to build championship programs.

You recruit players who are one step below one and done with the expectation that they will be with you for 3-4 years. That difference isn't as great as some might think. Because they are going to be there longer they are more willing to play team ball instead of trying to impress the scouts. They develop relationships within the team and buy into the culture.

Arguably there were other teams in the tourney who had more talent than Villanova did but none played as well as a team as they did. The talent matters and they have it but what you do with the talent means more.

Villanova might be the model for the future to build championship programs.

You recruit players who are one step below one and done with the expectation that they will be with you for 3-4 years. That difference isn't as great as some might think. Because they are going to be there longer they are more willing to play team ball instead of trying to impress the scouts. They develop relationships within the team and buy into the culture.

Arguably there were other teams in the tourney who had more talent than Villanova did but none played as well as a team as they did. The talent matters and they have it but what you do with the talent means more.

That is why what kentucky is so amazing. To turn over half the roster every year and still compete for titles is damn near impossible. I think you can have one or two one and done guys that would put your roster over the top, but I don't know how you can build a consistent team with a roster full of those type of players.

Back