What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018: Recruiting News, Notes & Official Visitors

Good to see that we're recruiting a kicker. Stefanou's 13/15 (missed his 1st kick when injured in game 1 & missed a 50+ yarder against UA). Otherwise, he's been perfect on kicks and XPs. Wouldn't surprise me at all if he talks to an agent about an NFL shot after one season.
I wonder if he doesn't want to get a bit further along with his degree- I thought I read somewhere that was the major reason he wanted to sign up for this, not a shot at the NFL.

Also, I think that missed 50 yd. kick reflects on his distance ability- or lack thereof. I think that one was blocked because the trajectory was way too low. That's the only time they've tried from that far out this season, and they've gone for it on 4th down in that range a lot.

I also don't know if any NFL team is going to want to invest in him if there's only one season's worth of data on him, but it is interesting that CU is recruiting a kicker with a freshman doing well.

I wonder if he doesn't want to get a bit further along with his degree- I thought I read somewhere that was the major reason he wanted to sign up for this, not a shot at the NFL.

Also, I think that missed 50 yd. kick reflects on his distance ability- or lack thereof. I think that one was blocked because the trajectory was way too low. That's the only time they've tried from that far out this season, and they've gone for it on 4th down in that range a lot.

I also don't know if any NFL team is going to want to invest in him if there's only one season's worth of data on him, but it is interesting that CU is recruiting a kicker with a freshman doing well.
CU definitely needs to plan for down the road at the kicker position. We've seen the issues that come from the position being bad and hopefully MM has fixed that going forward. However, the talk of Stefanou going pro at this point is laughable. As you mentioned, no NFL team is going to take a chance on a kicker after one season of football. I still have doubts after two years and wonder if that has ever happened even after two years?

I didn't want to detract from the fact that Stefanou made the Lou Groza Semifinalist list, so I pulled my more complete thoughts over here:

I thought that Stefanou wasn’t already a top kicker! :whistle:
I'm presuming this is in reference to a discussion in the recruiting forum about Stefanou's pro prospects. It is no doubt impressive that he made the semi-finalist list as a freshman. I'm not sure how many the Groza Award lists, but last year it was 20- none of whom were freshmen.

That said, of the 20 semi-finalists from last year, 6 got looks from NFL teams this year; 3 of them- Younghoe Koo (Ga. Southern), Jake Elliott (Memphis), and Zane Gonzalez (ASU, the winner) are still on an NFL roster. However, ALL 6 were seniors and 5 (all except Koo, who started 3 years) were 4-year starters. Also, of the 6 guys who got NFL looks this year:
  • All but two (Elliott and Ben Grogan from Okie Lite) had a higher FG% than Stefanou does this year
  • All but one (Elliott) had made more FGs at this point last year than Stefanou does this year
  • All but one (Austin Rehkow from Idaho) had more made XPs at this point last year than Stefanou does this year
  • All of them had more total points at this point last year than Stefanou does this year
In the cases of the guys who had worse numbers than Stefanou at this point last year, all had quantitatively better years that they could point to in the past, and Elliott in particular finished the year on a tear- he didn't miss another FG for the rest of the year after the semifinalist list came out.

I think Stefanou compares most to another of the guys on that list- Andy Phillips from Utah. He went on a mission and was older (24) during his freshman year. He had similar numbers (17 for 20 on FGs, 41/41 on XPs), but he stayed 3 more years at Utah.

I didn't want to detract from the fact that Stefanou made the Lou Groza Semifinalist list, so I pulled my more complete thoughts over here:

I'm presuming this is in reference to a discussion in the recruiting forum about Stefanou's pro prospects. It is no doubt impressive that he made the semi-finalist list as a freshman. I'm not sure how many the Groza Award lists, but last year it was 20- none of whom were freshmen.

That said, of the 20 semi-finalists from last year, 6 got looks from NFL teams this year; 3 of them- Younghoe Koo (Ga. Southern), Jake Elliott (Memphis), and Zane Gonzalez (ASU, the winner) are still on an NFL roster. However, ALL 6 were seniors and 5 (all except Koo, who started 3 years) were 4-year starters. Also, of the 6 guys who got NFL looks this year:
  • All but two (Elliott and Ben Grogan from Okie Lite) had a higher FG% than Stefanou does this year
  • All but one (Elliott) had made more FGs at this point last year than Stefanou does this year
  • All but one (Austin Rehkow from Idaho) had more made XPs at this point last year than Stefanou does this year
  • All of them had more total points at this point last year than Stefanou does this year
In the cases of the guys who had worse numbers than Stefanou at this point last year, all had quantitatively better years that they could point to in the past, and Elliott in particular finished the year on a tear- he didn't miss another FG for the rest of the year after the semifinalist list came out.

I think Stefanou compares most to another of the guys on that list- Andy Phillips from Utah. He went on a mission and was older (24) during his freshman year. He had similar numbers (17 for 20 on FGs, 41/41 on XPs), but he stayed 3 more years at Utah.

Agree that his body of work, as good as it is, isn't good enough to ensure his a good shot at an NFL job next year. Another year with solid success would help him a lot. Unlike the others though he is fighting the calendar, being his age doesn't help his cause.

He has been very accurate from short to mid-distance which the pros like. They would rather have to pass on a few 56+ yard attempts than have to worry about missing the 29 yarder with the game on the line. All things being equal though distance does factor, they would prefer someone who has both range and accuracy under pressure.

What may hurt him even more is that he isn't the KO guy. I don't know how well he does on KOs but the guy in front of him is frequently short of the end zone at lower altitudes and isn't great on placement of the KO. This would imply that Stefanou isn't better or he would be doing it.

In the NFL it is very rare that a team is willing to carry an extra kicker to do KOs. If the punter can't then Stefanou will have to and that will be a concern.

I am still willing to bet you real money: Stefanou won’t kick for CU for four years. His age/maturity and rapidly advancing skill set will put him ahead of headcases in their early 20s. Stefanou has never played the sport and is already getting recognized as one of the better kickers in college. He’s not on a four year plan; he is too old to kick for four years. He is too good to kick for four years past the age of 30.

You keep trying to compare him to far more immature prospects whose failures are due mostly to their inability to deal with the pressure of being a professional athlete in a lonely position. He has already been a professional athlete. He aint staying four years as much as you’d like to hope.

I am still willing to bet you real money: Stefanou won’t kick for CU for four years. His age/maturity and rapidly advancing skill set will put him ahead of headcases in their early 20s. Stefanou has never played the sport and is already getting recognized as one of the better kickers in college. He’s not on a four year plan; he is too old to kick for four years. He is too good to kick for four years past the age of 30.

You keep trying to compare him to far more immature prospects whose failures are due mostly to their inability to deal with the pressure of being a professional athlete in a lonely position. He has already been a professional athlete. He aint staying four years as much as you’d like to hope.
And yet his mom is still posting for him on message boards...

That's fine- he may very well leave early. I hope he does and is wildly successful in the NFL. I just do not think it will be at the end of this year.

I'd like to see get another RB and DL signing. Been awhile for anybody, much less those positions.

https://247sports.com/college/color...-Collecting-Rings-Awards-and-Offers-110807025

"I have offers from Utah State, Southern Miss, Middle Tennessee, and New Mexico," Thompson said. "I have talked to Syracuse, Louisville, Colorado, Arizona State, Troy, and Pitt. Those are the main schools right there."

"I have visits scheduled with all of the schools that have offered me, but as more offers come things can change. I’d really like to play in the Pac-12, so Colorado would be a good one to get, but I am excited about all of the opportunities for the next level."

Confirms what I already thought, which is that we're definitely interested in adding a JC RB. Will be interesting to see how that plays out.

https://247sports.com/college/color...-Collecting-Rings-Awards-and-Offers-110807025

"I have offers from Utah State, Southern Miss, Middle Tennessee, and New Mexico," Thompson said. "I have talked to Syracuse, Louisville, Colorado, Arizona State, Troy, and Pitt. Those are the main schools right there."

"I have visits scheduled with all of the schools that have offered me, but as more offers come things can change. I’d really like to play in the Pac-12, so Colorado would be a good one to get, but I am excited about all of the opportunities for the next level."

Confirms what I already thought, which is that we're definitely interested in adding a JC RB. Will be interesting to see how that plays out.
If you want more proof, Cory Hall (our recruiting assistant, not the OSU coach) has been following a lot of JuCo RBs. Like, at least 5. We are definitely pushing for one

Don't know if this has already been mentioned anywhere?

Per the below, looks like the Buffs are getting a preferred walk-on running back in J.T. Murphy from Corona del Mar, the same school as today's NOI signer Clyde Moore.

Welcome and congrats to him!

HUDL - https://www.hudl.com/profile/5326112/jt-murphy (they and Maxpreps both have him at 5'11", 195 lbs.)

Article with picture of him (and Mr. Moore) at their signing ceremony - http://www.latimes.com/sports/la-sp...day-begins-for-prep-1513794022-htmlstory.html

Article from July saying he'll be a Buff PWO - http://www.latimes.com/socal/daily-...lo-penaloza-prep-notebook-20170715-story.html

Maxpreps stats - http://www.maxpreps.com/athlete/jt-murphy/31v_cP9QEeSrOKA2nzwY6g/gendersport/football-stats.htm

A couple 2018 JUCO OLs to keep an eye on from ASA College in Brooklyn (Adams took a visit there, followed their OL coach recently, and follows several of their players):

Malik Besseck (6'5" 280 lb OT that CU has offered) - Rivals 3* 5.5 rating with P5 offers from Iowa State, Kansas, Minnesota, Nebraska, TCU & Wazzu.

Johncarlo Valentin (6'5" 340 lb OG that Adams recently followed) - Rivals 3* 5.6 rating with P5 offers from Baylor, Kansas, Missouri & Oklahoma. No CU offer reported yet.

From ASA, we lost out to LSU this cycle on Badara Traore (6'6" 320 lb OT) - Rivals 4* 5.9 rating who had offers from everyone.

With our needs at OT and questions on the interior with Lynott's injured Achilles, I'd happily take both of these guys for 2018.

Back