What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018 WBB Recruit Profile Index

I can. You're a basketball player. Play against the best.
I love basketball. But her time playing is limited to about four years. An Ivy League education can convey advantages for a lifetime ... and she still can play the game.

I love basketball. But her time playing is limited to about four years. An Ivy League education can convey advantages for a lifetime ... and she still can play the game.
I just get tired of CU fans justifying it every time a recruit commits to a military academy of Ivy League school. Honestly, if the player's focus is that direction then I'm glad the player did not commit here.

I just get tired of CU fans justifying it every time a recruit commits to a military academy of Ivy League school. Honestly, if the player's focus is that direction then I'm glad the player did not commit here.
I agree with you. They should go where they want to be. And CU is better off with players that want to be there. My comments were not intended as a 'justification". There is nothing to justify ... someone just made a choice that they felt was best for them.

Who has to justify anything? This isn't men's basketball or football where you can make millions of dollars at the next level. There was nothing more that the staff could do.

If this decision was already made, as it sounds from CUoldtimer's posts, I wonder why they bothered to post a top 4. Why not just post the top 2 as Yale and Princeton??

If this decision was already made, as it sounds from CUoldtimer's posts, I wonder why they bothered to post a top 4. Why not just post the top 2 as Yale and Princeton??

To show they considered CU I would imagine.

With Swartz and Tuitele on board for this class my guess is the last target is Nwoke. She visited at the same time as Tuitele and my hunch is both were/are the primary targets. Thus my theory is that should the Buffs land Nwoke she will complete this recruiting class, at least for the fall signing period.

JR & Co may look at a transfer (juco or 4 year) in the spring or perhaps another foreign player.
No go on Nwoke. She's committed to Duke

Looks like Buffs have gone 0-for post players in the 2018 class unless there are some that we have not heard anything about so far.

No go on Nwoke. She's committed to Duke
Looks like Buffs have gone 0-for post players in the 2018 class unless there are some that we have not heard anything about so far.
Um . . . Best guess is that there are no more options for post players at this time - so perhaps the Buffs will find a foreign player or a transfer with immediate eligibility in the spring. And they should already be looking at post players in the class of '19 with Bunn and Curtis being seniors next season.

As you know, the CU WBB program's history is littered with good local CO HS players who chose to go out of state. Seems like it's more the rule than the exception.

That would be a good idea. Has it happened in recent years?

I can't remember her name right now, but the last major talent to leave the state was the 6'4 lady that signed with Louisville a couple of years ago.

Really? How about putting some names on all that "Litter".

I'm not going to dig through 15 years of Local WBB misc but the issue isn't even arguable. CU's inability to keep homegrown talent here under the Kathy and Linda became one of the constants of the program. I do think that JR is going to be able to turn that around in time.

Did you guys understand what I was saying? Not that local kids sign with CU and transfer later on, but that they don't sign with CU in the first place.

That would be a good idea. Has it happened in recent years?
Some names of Colorado high school seniors who went out of state: From Prospects Nation top 150 high school seniors
class of 2014:
Mikayla Reese #82 overall, #10 guard
Justine Hall #116 overall #18 guard
class of 2015: none in top 150
class of 2016:
Kylee Shook #46 overall, #7 post
class of 2017:
Michaela Onyenwere #18 overall #3 forward
class of 2018
Camilla Emsbo #44 overall #16 forward

Over that same period of time, number of Colorado high school seniors ranked in ProspectNations top 150 who stayed in state and went to CU: Zero

And going back further the two really big names that I recall that stood out are Ann Strother and Abby Waner who not only didn't come to CU but took her sister Emily, who had come to CU as a freshman, with her.

Some names of Colorado high school seniors who went out of state: From Prospects Nation top 150 high school seniors
class of 2014:
Mikayla Reese #82 overall, #10 guard
Justine Hall #116 overall #18 guard
class of 2015: none in top 150
class of 2016:
Kylee Shook #46 overall, #7 post
class of 2017:
Michaela Onyenwere #18 overall #3 forward
class of 2018
Camilla Emsbo #44 overall #16 forward

Over that same period of time, number of Colorado high school seniors ranked in ProspectNations top 150 who stayed in state and went to CU: Zero

And going back further the two really big names that I recall that stood out are Ann Strother and Abby Waner who not only didn't come to CU but took her sister Emily, who had come to CU as a freshman, with her.

Bless you, and thanks. Most recently, Shook (Louisville) and Onyenwere (UCLA, I believe) were huge deals. I'm not casting shame on KMM or LL, but those regimes couldn't close on local big name players. Ceal had some misses too, in the latter days of her coaching career.

I can kind of understand it in the case of WBB and the Ivy League. There's not much money in the WNBA jobs and the odds of playing there anyway are astronomically slight. I do WISH that the high level local talent would sign with CU, but I get why an Ivy League offer is very tempting.

Let's make it easier and more pertinent. How about just during the Lappe/JR era, or since 2010 and just the players who either started or made significant contributions to another BCS school, because the quality of the players who play for CSU, Wyoming, SMU are NOT going to be an improvement over what we have seen here. Yes, there are some exceptions but for the most part a girl who is not a star for a mid-major would not have been worth recruiting here or in any other PAC12/SEC, ACC, etc school.
Of the ones mentioned above, Justine Hall and Kylie Shook would count. So would the girl from Florida who graduated two years ago, Carlie Needles. If I don't count Shae Kelly it is because I have heard too much speculation about that whole affair and the only thing I know for sure is that the former coaches who spirited her off to some obscure JC in Florida both parlayed that chip into a job there and, in the case of Tom McConnell, into a job at Old Dominion. And even she, who had serious BCS talent, wasted 3 years in a losing and obscure program at OD before she hitched on to Minnesota and Amanda Zau to finally play up to her potential.
The fact is, up until this resurgent AAU program, Colorado has had a long dry spell of mediocre talent from the early 2000s until now. Yes, I know about the Waner girls and Strother but let's face it, you are talking about losing girls to UConn and Duke and we just ain't ever going to win those wars.
I passed over the most recent two girls simply because it is too early to judge JR and CO. for missing anyone here. They made me happy with some of the moves they made, including Peyton, who I think will really do well here and may certainly aid in local recruiting.
I hope no one will take offense because it clearly is not intended. It is just that this same subject keeps coming up and the evidence is strong that the talent was just not there. However, saying that, I have always felt that there is a strong undercurrent of dissent among some in state folks concerning the WBB program here at CU and I don't really understand it. I may be wrong, since I don't live here but maybe someone else would like to discuss that sometime.
I

Let's make it easier and more pertinent. How about just during the Lappe/JR era, or since 2010 and just the players who either started or made significant contributions to another BCS school, because the quality of the players who play for CSU, Wyoming, SMU are NOT going to be an improvement over what we have seen here. Yes, there are some exceptions but for the most part a girl who is not a star for a mid-major would not have been worth recruiting here or in any other PAC12/SEC, ACC, etc school.
Of the ones mentioned above, Justine Hall and Kylie Shook would count. So would the girl from Florida who graduated two years ago, Carlie Needles. If I don't count Shae Kelly it is because I have heard too much speculation about that whole affair and the only thing I know for sure is that the former coaches who spirited her off to some obscure JC in Florida both parlayed that chip into a job there and, in the case of Tom McConnell, into a job at Old Dominion. And even she, who had serious BCS talent, wasted 3 years in a losing and obscure program at OD before she hitched on to Minnesota and Amanda Zau to finally play up to her potential.
The fact is, up until this resurgent AAU program, Colorado has had a long dry spell of mediocre talent from the early 2000s until now. Yes, I know about the Waner girls and Strother but let's face it, you are talking about losing girls to UConn and Duke and we just ain't ever going to win those wars.
I passed over the most recent two girls simply because it is too early to judge JR and CO. for missing anyone here. They made me happy with some of the moves they made, including Peyton, who I think will really do well here and may certainly aid in local recruiting.
I hope no one will take offense because it clearly is not intended. It is just that this same subject keeps coming up and the evidence is strong that the talent was just not there. However, saying that, I have always felt that there is a strong undercurrent of dissent among some in state folks concerning the WBB program here at CU and I don't really understand it. I may be wrong, since I don't live here but maybe someone else would like to discuss that sometime.
I

Well, I wouldn't go so far to say there is a "strong undercurrent of dissent" concerning the WBB program. It's just that Ceal (until the last few years) had set the bar pretty high and the following two regimes just drifted the program gradually downward and sideways for the most part. So some disinterest set in. As in most college sports, in terms of recruiting the rich do get richer so mediocrity begets more mediocrity. As WBB started to resemble MBB more, in terms of hugely competitive recruiting and the rise of big power programs, the Buffs and many other average programs got a bit high-centered. Losing Ann Strother and Abby Waner were kind of a tipping point IMO, but since there isn't much of a realistic pro future $$-wise for WBB players, I'm told that you really can't blame the true blue chip ladies for wanting to be able to "compete for a NC".

It is what it is. The way these things sometimes get turned around as you know is that a new coaching wunderkind sets the world on fire recruiting-wise (see South Carolina or Oregon State) and a program makes an incremental jump into that Top 20 or Top 10 level. Hope JR is that. However it's a challenge at CU to sign kids from the East coast or the Pacific Time Zone. Making it more key to fight for the occasionally really good local kids. I would continue to also work Texas in addition to California if I were JR & staff.

There's potentially a ton of interest here and a fan base for WBB that will be quickly expanded if the Buffs can become a Top 25 program that gets into the tournament most years.

Ann Strother had a successful career at UConn.

Emily Waner mostly sat on the bench at Duke. She quit basketball her senior year. Had she stayed at CU, she would have been playing. A coaching change happened at Duke after the Waner's arrived. Abby Waner was not starting by her senior year.

Recruiting changed a lot by the end of Ceal's coaching days.

KMM recruited Alyssa Fressle from Highlands Ranch. She transferred to Boston College. I remember Lappe saying when she arrived that there was no changing her mind about transferring.

As I have said before, there was a time when the WBB had sell outs. I hope that happens again.

Let's face it, CU is going to have win right now with getting those players that are below the radar for the big programs and then developing them. They will have to win some recruiting wars like they did with Schwartz for 2018 and Knight in 2017 and I believe they will win more in 2019. This could've been a very good class with Nwoke but Duke swooped in and got her. We lost some big recruits for this class to ND, Duke, Louisville, Princeton and Yale. Here's what I know. I don't think there is a staff more built for CU for recruiting than the current one and I believe it starts paying off more in 2019. Kids start get recruiting in the 8th and 9th grade so this staff was way behind for 2017 and 2018 and still got respectable classes and came damn close to a top ten class if not for some bad luck. We will get there.

Back