What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2019 Class - Positional needs & fills

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Titus Toler is the 12th commitment, so where does that put us versus graduation losses and general needs?

Buffs go into 2018 with 82 or 85 scholarship roster spots filled. So, 3 openings (assuming no scholarships get awarded to underclassman walk ons). Also 16 seniors are graduating.

Here's a basic rundown:

QB - 0 seniors graduating. Ty Evans committed. CU is done at QB.
RB - 3 seniors graduating (Evans, Lee, McMillan). Joshia Davis committed. Expect 1 RB for sure, maybe 2 with the 2nd being a RB/ SB combo type guy.
WR - 3 seniors graduating (Ento, MacIntyre, Winfree). Brandon Huffman-Dixon committed. Expect 1 more WR for sure, possibly 2. Could see a RB/SB combo type guy.
TE - 0 seniors graduating. Expect 1 TE signed this year.
OL - 1 senior graduating (Kaiser). Austin Johnson, Valentin Senn, Jake Wiley committed. CU is probably done here unless it's a "best player available regardless of position" type player.
NT - 1 senior graduating (Edwards). Could call it 2 since Franke plays mostly at NT. No one committed, but also haven't seen much in the way of NT recruiting offers. With Tuiloma a junior and Sami the only other guy, it would seem that the Buffs need to get going here.
DE - 1 seniors graduating (Mulumba). Franke also gives some depth here. Some young talent at the position and no seniors in 2019, so could probably get by with signing 1 guy.
OLB - 0 seniors graduating. Gustav is gray shirting from the 2018 class. With Farrar committed, CU may be done here as long as we hold on to Farrar.
ILB - 2 seniors graduating (Gamboa, Lewis). No 2019 seniors, so not desperate for numbers. But CU needs a guy or 2 here to compete.
Buff/ NB - 0 seniors graduating. Lots of younger recruits who can play here and give some flexibility to the defense. Not a need, especially if Farrar sticks.
CB - 0 seniors graduating. 3 commitments with Don Chapman, Jaylen Martin, KJ Trujillo. CU has got to be done here.
S - 3 seniors graduating (Worthington, Fisher, Trego). No 2019 seniors. 2 commitments with Mark Perry and Titus Toler. CU should be done here and then recruit S again with 1 or 2 guys in 2020 to finally get some class balance at the position.
K - 0 seniors graduating and Stefanou is only a soph. CU will not sign a K this year.
P - 1 senior graduating (Kinney). Already landed Sam Loy as a transfer from Vanderbilt, with him slated to redshirt this season and be a walk on. CU might choose to simply put him on scholarship now instead of waiting.
LS - 0 seniors graduating. Bale's a junior and CU has been inviting multiple preferred walk ons to compete for the position and scholarship once Bale graduates. Won't be a position that is recruited in the traditional way.

To sum up:

19 scholarships known to be available for 2019.

12 commitments so far.

Positions of need:
RB (1, maybe 2)
WR (1, maybe 2)
TE (1)
OL (maybe 1)
NT (1)
DE (1)
OLB (maybe 1)
ILB (1, maybe 2)
P (1)

My wish list:
RB - Mangham
WR - Ford
TE - Loving-Black
OL - Miller
NT - Bandes
DE - Jackson (JC)
ILB - Allen (JC)

I'm somewhat hopeful we see movement on the DL as our new DL coach gets his feet wet. But I fully expect this to be a rough, rough year there. OL is decidedly meh for me at the moment despite the #s.

Anyone have thoughts as to whether we have filled the secondary too early?

Titus Toler is the 12th commitment, so where does that put us versus graduation losses and general needs?

Buffs go into 2018 with 82 or 85 scholarship roster spots filled. So, 3 openings (assuming no scholarships get awarded to underclassman walk ons). Also 16 seniors are graduating.

Here's a basic rundown:

QB - 0 seniors graduating. Ty Evans committed. CU is done at QB.
RB - 3 seniors graduating (Evans, Lee, McMillan). Joshia Davis committed. Expect 1 RB for sure, maybe 2 with the 2nd being a RB/ SB combo type guy.
WR - 3 seniors graduating (Ento, MacIntyre, Winfree). Brandon Huffman-Dixon committed. Expect 1 more WR for sure, possibly 2. Could see a RB/SB combo type guy.
TE - 0 seniors graduating. Expect 1 TE signed this year.
OL - 1 senior graduating (Kaiser). Austin Johnson, Valentin Senn, Jake Wiley committed. CU is probably done here unless it's a "best player available regardless of position" type player.
NT - 1 senior graduating (Edwards). Could call it 2 since Franke plays mostly at NT. No one committed, but also haven't seen much in the way of NT recruiting offers. With Tuiloma a junior and Sami the only other guy, it would seem that the Buffs need to get going here.
DE - 1 seniors graduating (Mulumba). Franke also gives some depth here. Some young talent at the position and no seniors in 2019, so could probably get by with signing 1 guy.
OLB - 0 seniors graduating. Gustav is gray shirting from the 2018 class. With Farrar committed, CU may be done here as long as we hold on to Farrar.
ILB - 2 seniors graduating (Gamboa, Lewis). No 2019 seniors, so not desperate for numbers. But CU needs a guy or 2 here to compete.
Buff/ NB - 0 seniors graduating. Lots of younger recruits who can play here and give some flexibility to the defense. Not a need, especially if Farrar sticks.
CB - 0 seniors graduating. 3 commitments with Don Chapman, Jaylen Martin, KJ Trujillo. CU has got to be done here.
S - 3 seniors graduating (Worthington, Fisher, Trego). No 2019 seniors. 2 commitments with Mark Perry and Titus Toler. CU should be done here and then recruit S again with 1 or 2 guys in 2020 to finally get some class balance at the position.
K - 0 seniors graduating and Stefanou is only a soph. CU will not sign a K this year.
P - 1 senior graduating (Kinney). Already landed Sam Loy as a transfer from Vanderbilt, with him slated to redshirt this season and be a walk on. CU might choose to simply put him on scholarship now instead of waiting.
LS - 0 seniors graduating. Bale's a junior and CU has been inviting multiple preferred walk ons to compete for the position and scholarship once Bale graduates. Won't be a position that is recruited in the traditional way.

To sum up:

19 scholarships known to be available for 2019.

12 commitments so far.

Positions of need:
RB (1, maybe 2)
WR (1, maybe 2)
TE (1)
OL (maybe 1)
NT (1)
DE (1)
OLB (maybe 1)
ILB (1, maybe 2)
P (1)

My wish list:
RB - Mangham
WR - Ford
TE - Loving-Black
OL - Miller
NT - Bandes
DE - Jackson (JC)
ILB - Allen (JC)

I think I recall Isiah Rutherford being in the mix. Still true?

I'm somewhat hopeful we see movement on the DL as our new DL coach gets his feet wet. But I fully expect this to be a rough, rough year there. OL is decidedly meh for me at the moment despite the #s.

Anyone have thoughts as to whether we have filled the secondary too early?

The staff never seems concerned on timing.

Adding only 2 DL is flat crazy to me. It might be an old school thing but I believe you build inside out. I know, I'm like a damn broken record with that.:D It just makes your job in the secondary a hell of a lot easier when you can count on the big boys up front to cause some havoc.

Adding only 2 DL is flat crazy to me. It might be an old school thing but I believe you build inside out. I know, I'm like a damn broken record with that.:D It just makes your job in the secondary a hell of a lot easier when you can count on the big boys up front to cause some havoc.

You can say it a million more times and it wouldn’t be enough. You don’t win football games with terrible line play. Look at the 2016 Broncos. They had the crypt keeper version of manning and Brock Osweiler, whom we all know is an absolutely awful QB. Yet, they won the super bowl with one of the nastiest DL’s, anchored by the big boys in the middle, you could not run on that team to save your life. Throw in ward blowing people up, Harris and Talib playing lights out and voila, championship. We need lineman on both sides, just average line play would be a very big improvement. Unfortunately most of the highest ranked recruits are lineman/OLB etc whom are freaks of nature who can walk into Alabama being 6’4” 300 and could start day 1. That’s why they’re so far ahead of everyone else and those players are more rare than talented QB, WR, CB’s.

These point out some pretty big concerns. All hands should be on deck to get some DE and develop them. 2016 aside, this has been the weakness for this team for a long time.

Linemen. Lots and lots of big, strong linemen.
200_d.gif

I like your list. I would prioritize the OT and a 0 and 3 (1 of ea) on the interior DL. Miller, Bandes and Jackson would huge gets.

LPJ still has himself in a CU uniform as his Twitter profile and is all about the Buffs in his tweets. Either we’re still willing to accept another DB commitment or he hasn’t been told we’re full yet.

A little different landscape with new commits. Are we done at OL?

Over what was expected in secondary, that’s for sure.

Done at RB unless it’s Jackson?

A little different landscape with new commits. Are we done at OL?

Over what was expected in secondary, that’s for sure.

Done at RB unless it’s Jackson?
We actually went 1 over what I expected with OL recruiting. And I'm fine with that.

The only exception would be if Barrett Miller wanted to stay home and be a Buff. He's a "take" regardless of numbers.

Back