What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2019 Pac-12 Tourney

Tad has all the pieces to have a very special year next year ... except one. We have to find a guard that can penetrate. That was the absolute difference tonight. I don’t know if it was fatigue or the shoulder, but Kin just was hesitant to go to the hole all night and break down the zone. Without that threat, we were in trouble.

Think this was linked on the site before but worth looking at again.

https://www.9news.com/article/sport...story/73-2394cdb6-0d42-4bf5-9623-eee01d8c9aab

Some people go through life, this guy is grabbing life and taking it with him.

Thankfully most of us will never face what he has already in his life. With his attitude it will be interesting to see what he does after basketball. I'm betting it will be something special

https://www.9news.com/article/sport...story/73-2394cdb6-0d42-4bf5-9623-eee01d8c9aab

Thankfully most of us will never face what he has already in his life. With his attitude it will be interesting to see what he does after basketball. I'm betting it will be something special
I suspect that we will have to wait at least ten years to find out what he does “after basketball”.

So bad. Compare this pac 12 championship game to the SEC semis between UK and UT. Yikes.

I have doubt that UW will get bounced in round one of the NCAAs.

They are not a good team anymore, and it's frustrating as hell that we couldn't get our **** together on offense yesterday.

I believe it's good for us because now hopefully 3 PAC 12 teams are making the tourney, so the PAC 12 (CU) will get more $$$.

I believe Oregon was already ahead of us in NET ratings, so they would have gotten a NIT spot ahead of us anyway, so it doesn't hurt our ability to get a NIT bid.

Isn't Oregon winning a good thing for us? It opens up a spot in the NIT
It should cause the Pac-12 to get 3 teams into the Dance. It doesn't really open an NIT spot, though. Whichever at-large team's spot Oregon took will slide down to the NIT. Got to figure that the NIT will take a team from the Pac-12 though and we're the #4 team in the conference by a wide margin.

NET Ratings:

#45 Washington
#51 Oregon
#63 Arizona State
#66 Colorado
#87 Oregon State
#88 USC (but with a losing record and ineligible)
#93 Arizona
#105 Utah
#108 Stanford
#120 UCLA
#206 Washington State
#229 Cal

It should cause the Pac-12 to get 3 teams into the Dance. It doesn't really open an NIT spot, though. Whichever at-large team's spot Oregon took will slide down to the NIT. Got to figure that the NIT will take a team from the Pac-12 though and we're the #4 team in the conference by a wide margin.

NET Ratings:

#45 Washington
#51 Oregon
#63 Arizona State
#66 Colorado
#87 Oregon State
#88 USC (but with a losing record and ineligible)
#93 Arizona
#105 Utah
#108 Stanford
#120 UCLA
#206 Washington State
#229 Cal

A bit depressing the PAC was this bad and we still could only muster a 5 seed and a semi appearance, a long with possibly being left out of the NIT.

A bit depressing the PAC was this bad and we still could only muster a 5 seed and a semi appearance, a long with possibly being left out of the NIT.
You know this, but I'm posting it anyway.

Season of missed opportunities when the Buffs lost too many games when we had the better team.

@ San Diego -- had the game under control and turtled the final 6 minutes to lose by 6
vs Indiana State -- Maui tourney was bad basketball. Lost by 5 after having a chance to win at the FT line. Not just a loss, but caused playing a lesser opponent in the next round.
vs Hawaii -- same story as Indiana State
@ Stanford -- 6 point lead at halftime. Road demons in the 2nd half, getting boat raced 44-25 in 2H against a very mediocre team.
Oregon State -- 5 point lead at halftime. Lost by 2. That just can't happen at home against a team we're better than.
@ Washington State -- lost by 2, allowing a team that does 1 thing well (shoot 3 pointers) to shoot 10/19 from deep because the team didn't defend the perimeter

I'm not going to say a word about 3 losses to Washington. They're a better and more veteran team than us. No shame in losing at Arizona, Arizona State and Utah either. But the other 6 games I listed should not have all been losses. I don't think this year's CU team, with the youth and injuries, could have been expected to win all of those games. But 3 or 4 of them, including 1 in Maui to bump up the quality of competition and our SOS there? Absolutely. And if that happened we would be in the Dance.

You know this, but I'm posting it anyway.

Season of missed opportunities when the Buffs lost too many games when we had the better team.

@ San Diego -- had the game under control and turtled the final 6 minutes to lose by 6
vs Indiana State -- Maui tourney was bad basketball. Lost by 5 after having a chance to win at the FT line. Not just a loss, but caused playing a lesser opponent in the next round.
vs Hawaii -- same story as Indiana State
@ Stanford -- 6 point lead at halftime. Road demons in the 2nd half, getting boat raced 44-25 in 2H against a very mediocre team.
Oregon State -- 5 point lead at halftime. Lost by 2. That just can't happen at home against a team we're better than.
@ Washington State -- lost by 2, allowing a team that does 1 thing well (shoot 3 pointers) to shoot 10/19 from deep because the team didn't defend the perimeter

I'm not going to say a word about 3 losses to Washington. They're a better and more veteran team than us. No shame in losing at Arizona, Arizona State and Utah either. But the other 6 games I listed should not have all been losses. I don't think this year's CU team, with the youth and injuries, could have been expected to win all of those games. But 3 or 4 of them, including 1 in Maui to bump up the quality of competition and our SOS there? Absolutely. And if that happened we would be in the Dance.

Getting a split between San Diego and New Mexico on the road was good enough, no shame there. It was a frustrating loss for sure.

We should have never played Hawaii so I don't even count that game, or it'll piss me off too much. :D

Indiana St., Oregon St., and Wash St. were the games they just had to/should have won. They're at least a bubble team right now if they had taken care of business, and they would have tied ASU for 2nd place. I'm not sure how the tie breakers would have gone with ASU for the 2 seed.

From Febuary on this team was fun to watch at least.

I think we're in the NIT as a 5-6......I don't think you can take a team like say South Carolina over us-their league might be better collectively, but I think it goes back to the central problem with the NET rankings. The metric needs to be re-worked to make beating people mean more-I don't get why we're giving a team like that props and a possible NIT ticket because they played Virginia (lost by 17), Tennessee twice (lost both games by a combined 35), and Kentucky (lost by 28). Want that to mean something? Beat those teams.

Tad has all the pieces to have a very special year next year ... except one. We have to find a guard that can penetrate. That was the absolute difference tonight. I don’t know if it was fatigue or the shoulder, but Kin just was hesitant to go to the hole all night and break down the zone. Without that threat, we were in trouble.
I'd think it was a bit of both with Kin. Agree about breaking down the zone, too, especially when UDub extends it like they do. That Oregon PG made them pay for that last night.

I will say that basketball is the most difficult of the major team sports to officiate. They don’t generally have the benefit of replay and they have to make calls instantly.

Call me biased because I do referee, but this is probably one of the greatest posts I've read since I've been an AB member LOL

Since I’m one to believe there is a reason to life’s events, I believe it was a blessing that he was ruled ineligible coming out of HS.

Call me biased because I do referee, but this is probably one of the greatest posts I've read since I've been an AB member LOL
Bottom line is that I want consistency. If a crew is going to emphasize moving screens or throwing the wing out or dipping the shoulder or hand checking or whatever... call it early and continue calling it for 40 minutes.

My big complaint with the PAC-12 refs (who also do the other western conferences) is that I don’t think the 3-man crews are always together and on the same page. That leads to a lot of inconsistency. I also think it leads to more makeup calls stemming from differences of opinion within the crews.

I think we're in the NIT as a 5-6......I don't think you can take a team like say South Carolina over us-their league might be better collectively, but I think it goes back to the central problem with the NET rankings. The metric needs to be re-worked to make beating people mean more-I don't get why we're giving a team like that props and a possible NIT ticket because they played Virginia (lost by 17), Tennessee twice (lost both games by a combined 35), and Kentucky (lost by 28). Want that to mean something? Beat those teams.

This guy has us as a 6 seed potentially playing.........guess who.......Nebraska!!!
Yuk

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.mi...this-weekends-action-etsu-san-diego-state-uvu

There should be a metric that includes performance against a better team, although the nuances of ‘final score’ are challenging. I like the effort to incentivize good competition vs padding the win column with guarantees. Will let you know when I figure out a better way. It is true that SC has no say over their conference schedule, and if their conference happens to be very good, they benefit without having taken any positive action.

There should be a metric that includes performance against a better team, although the nuances of ‘final score’ are challenging. I like the effort to incentivize good competition vs padding the win column with guarantees. Will let you know when I figure out a better way. It is true that SC has no say over their conference schedule, and if their conference happens to be very good, they benefit without having taken any positive action.

Isn't that part of the net? I thought it had things like offensive and defensive efficiency, turnover and rebounding rates.

Isn't that part of the net? I thought it had things like offensive and defensive efficiency, turnover and rebounding rates.
It does. Maybe what @aghcsm is looking for would be replacing a metric like final score margin and replacing it with something like "game control".

Or maybe like how for football we see "strength of record". Why not something along those lines that is "strength of scoring margin"? Something like that would give you significantly more for losing close to Duke versus simply playing them and losing by 30.

Back