What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 CU football season POSTPONED until Nov 6th?

Just because you think it's problematic does not make it so.

Athletes 1) have always been largely separate from the rest of the student body (I see that repeatedly as a Scholarship Donor), 2) the athletes are taking on-line courses like all students, 3) the athletes are actually safer without students on campus and 4) athletes passionately want to play their sport.

Just so you know - the CU AD is beyond pissed the PAC 12 has shut them down - Polis and Boulder were very likely going to allow them to play with the testing protocols CU has in-place.

So you are back to thinking Covid-19 is dangerous?

And you did nothing to refute my point at all. Parents of regular students are going to rightfully have issues with campuses being closed.

And you did nothing to refute my point at all. Parents of regular students are going to rightfully have issues with campuses being closed.

I think both you and @buffs233 are both correct. It is two ways of looking at a coin. It is right to point out, no students then why are athletes different?? Also, it is right to recognize the unique relationship with athletes (especially football which makes the University $$$$$$$$) all in a CoVid lens it may be right to say they should play if it benefits the athlete, the school, and perhaps others.

the NCAA regulations don't say athletes have to be treated like general students. the regs state athletes cannot receive impermissible benefits.

if athletes were allowed in person classes and the rest of students only had online options, that sounds like a benefit.
if athletes were allowed on campus to visit the library and the rest had no access to the library, that sounds like a benefit.

allowing players to continue to come to campus for practice doesn't seem like a benefit.

I wish the thread title would get edited back to one generic for the college football season.

some might put this in the Hate NU thread, but i think it belongs here.

Eight Nebraska football players filed a lawsuit against the Big Ten seeking a reversal of its decision to postpone the fall sports season and greater clarity as to how league leadership arrived at that conclusion.

The World-Herald obtained a copy of the 13-page complaint, which contends the league’s Aug. 11 action to postpone should be overturned because it didn’t follow established procedures in the decision-making process and was “unjustified” based on flawed and misapplied medical information. The suit is being filed in the District Court of Lancaster County.

link

Last edited:

This is a "game" changer . . . 15 minute test results and only $5. Would allow so much more shared activity, including allowing fans that have been tested.
As with everything, we'll see how it pans out. If this test was available today, the Pac 12 would likely be playing football next month.

As with everything, we'll see how it pans out. If this test was available today, the Pac 12 would likely be playing football next month.

The technology used is similar to at-home pregnancy tests, according to Abbott divisional vice president of Applied Research and Technology, Dr. John Hackett — except that it still requires a clinician to administer the test.

I can see it now, 50K fans waiting in line while DRs hold the stick while you pee on it and you both wait nervously to see the results

The technology used is similar to at-home pregnancy tests, according to Abbott divisional vice president of Applied Research and Technology, Dr. John Hackett — except that it still requires a clinician to administer the test.

I can see it now, 50K fans waiting in line while DRs hold the stick while you pee on it and you both wait nervously to see the results
We have a built in advantage. Two words. Pee Troughs.

What about people with stage fright?
- asking for a friend...

COVID has dramatically lower risk for a college student. It makes no sense for them to hide in the basement for months on-end.

We agree that parents of regular students have a legitimate gripe, but they are not as safe as athletes who are subject to regular testing. That will change soon it seems, just not clear exactly when.

More importantly, why would the parent of a regular student be concerned about what 200 student-athletes do?

COVID has dramatically lower risk for a college student. It makes no sense for them to hide in the basement for months on-end.

We agree that parents of regular students have a legitimate gripe, but they are not as safe as athletes who are subject to regular testing. That will change soon it seems, just not clear exactly when.

More importantly, why would the parent of a regular student be concerned about what 200 student-athletes do?
It’s about the faculty. And the effects can be pretty nasty in a small % of 20ish yo. Is it worth that small %?

Parents of regular students are going to rightfully have issues with campuses being closed.
Damn right we are. Especially when they make you sign a waiver stating that you will be charged the full cost of room and board if the school decides to send everyone home.
(School is the New Jersey Institute of Technology)

Why were we stupid enough to sign it? Because the kid is banking on the "hope" that after his Supermax type isolation period (NJ definition of quarantine), he will be able to do fall conditioning for his winter/spring non-revenue sport.

And in doing so, maybe get enough reps in to secure a spot on the travel team "if" they have a season and "if" they are allowed to travel.

This maybe should have been an OP for a thread titled "Completely dumbass things parents do for their kids."

Neither you or I has any idea what the long term effects of Covid are, so don't say the risk is dramatically lower. If all you're looking at is mortality rate, then sure, but it's never just been about people dying.

I don't get why the Big and Pac made the decision to cancel when they did. They could have easily waited until this week or the following to make a decision. Especially now that things are looking better, not great, but better. As Wilner pointed out, the Pac has painted themselves into a bit of a box.
https://www.mercurynews.com/2020/08...ing-in-force-basketball-start-dates-and-more/
I shudder to think about the Pac being the only Conf that didn't have some sort of a season, assuming the Big does resume in Nov.

I am not sure how the Big10 will actually be able to play given that the governor of the state of Michigan is unlikely to allow it.

That is what the Pac12 is up against. Governors of California, Oregon, and Washington may be tough to convince.

Last edited:
Back