What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2020 Recruit Profile Index & Recruiting News

Getting in early on their podcast mailbag seemed to work for me.

If they don’t recruit California hard next year either, then I’ll start to believe it’s Coach Tucker’s tactic. Is it possible that they like the recruits in this class better outside of California?

Just browsing through recruiting futures I see multiple CA offers.

Guys, with California's new law restricting contact in practices to like 45 mins, twice a week, and the fact that between 2000-4000 California kids are quitting football each year, California is nowhere close to the recruiting hotbed it once was. And it will only get worse. It is Texas, Florida, Georgia-- also AZ, NV and Utah are much better. Nevada has had some elite recruits since they have 3 national HS teams. I have heard that a number of good CA players are leaving the state for Elite HS's in other states for better competition.

In CA, there are a bunch of skill players, but the front seven on both sides is totally lacking. For the front seven, I'm not sure except for the elite HS's that play nationally, the competition level is all that good. Also, for the elite skill positions the Blue-Bloods (Alabama, Clemson, Texas etc...) are pulling a good portion of elite recruits outside the PAC12. Chris Steele (5* DB--initial USC commit, went to Florida), his quote was: "I'm not sure my physical style of play will do well in the PAC (i.e. tons of yellow flags)."

Per Rivals only 30- (4-5*) recruits, only 6 players on front 7, mostly LBs, no safeties, no Dline, a few Oline.
Per 247 only 35- (4-5*) recruits, only 9 players on front 7, 5 LBs and 4 Oline. No Dline, no safeties.

I'm sure there are tons of decent 3* recruits, however the entire PAC12 recruits this region hard. There is always the stay closer home for parents to attend 5-7 games a year. Same thing CU, Neb and Missou suffered in the B12. I think CU is better in the PAC12 south, as more flights and playing close to Southern California-- UoA, ASU, UCLA, USC are closer drives for away games than in Big12.

Guys, with California's new law restricting contact in practices to like 45 mins, twice a week, and the fact that between 2000-4000 California kids are quitting football each year, California is nowhere close to the recruiting hotbed it once was. And it will only get worse. It is Texas, Florida, Georgia-- also AZ, NV and Utah are much better. Nevada has had some elite recruits since they have 3 national HS teams. I have heard that a number of good CA players are leaving the state for Elite HS's in other states for better competition.

In CA, there are a bunch of skill players, but the front seven on both sides is totally lacking. For the front seven, I'm not sure except for the elite HS's that play nationally, the competition level is all that good. Also, for the elite skill positions the Blue-Bloods (Alabama, Clemson, Texas etc...) are pulling a good portion of elite recruits outside the PAC12. Chris Steele (5* DB--initial USC commit, went to Florida), his quote was: "I'm not sure my physical style of play will do well in the PAC (i.e. tons of yellow flags)."

Per Rivals only 30- (4-5*) recruits, only 6 players on front 7, mostly LBs, no safeties, no Dline, a few Oline.
Per 247 only 35- (4-5*) recruits, only 9 players on front 7, 5 LBs and 4 Oline. No Dline, no safeties.

I'm sure there are tons of decent 3* recruits, however the entire PAC12 recruits this region hard. There is always the stay closer home for parents to attend 5-7 games a year. Same thing CU, Neb and Missou suffered in the B12. I think CU is better in the PAC12 south, as more flights and playing close to Southern California-- UoA, ASU, UCLA, USC are closer drives for away games than in Big12.

Can you list the 3 national HS teams in Nevada please

It's your contention that AZ, NV, and UT are better states for recruiting? Like, all together or just on a state by state basis

Where's Chris Steele now?

Is there a self fulfilling prophecy when looking at rivals and 247? Which fanbases do you think have the most 247 subs?

If you were to rate the top 25 high schools in the nation, would CA high schools be able to compete or would it just be a steamroll?

It's your contention that AZ, NV, and UT are better states for recruiting? Like, all together or just on a state by state basis

Is there a self fulfilling prophecy when looking at rivals and 247? Which fanbases do you think have the most 247 subs?

If you were to rate the top 25 high schools in the nation, would CA high schools be able to compete or would it just be a steamroll?

You are replying to the same guy who said he disliked recruiting 5* players in another thread and was content to win with a smattering of 4* players and mostly 3* players... but is suddenly rattling off numbers of blue chips. Don't bother.

Your points are well taken. Steele transferred back to USC. I stand corrected. But that was what he said when he picked Florida.

My contention is not AZ, NV, and UT are better states for recruiting (they have a fractionally lower populations) or even in football generally, but they are improving in producing more top-recruits than from past years. Except for McCafferys, CO is not producing more top-recruits--HS football is contracting in our state. For NV most of these schools are new, less than 15 years old. Bishop Gorman, Liberty, and Faith Lutheran are national teams. I think there are 6 that play nationally. Again, these are young programs akin to Chandler, AZ.

In my post, I tried to break out CA teams that play national schedules v. just county/public schools. The national teams are great Manta Dei, De La Salle etc... For the Top-25, the CA National teams compete really well and I do not believe they are steamrolled (nor do I believe they steamroll other national teams). CA has teams in the top 5 and 10. In fact, as of this week I think they hold the top spot.

In the past, AZ, NV, UT and CO combined would produce only like 20 4*+ recruits total. CA had 60-100+++. Typically, they had more than Texas or Georgia. The most interesting development has been the steep drop off at the front seven positions. CA has tons of great skill players. I thing it has just been a shift with these sporting powerhouse schools popping up in neighboring states and the dominance of Southern Teams where HS football reigns King. Also, the CA state regulations are not helping in terms of developing front 7 recruits.

I do not think there is a self-fulfilling prophesy with Rivals, 247 Sports or ESPN (South v. East v. West) as they employ regional and national evaluators and so many of these prospects attend certain camps together all over the country. I believe these evaluators informally share information between services, so they look coast to coast. In attending the joint camps, they can do the eye test. Also, they are now listing formal combine type stats for each player. Although, combine stats used to mean nothing (how can one project a 16-17 yo to a 21-22 yo in terms of growth etc???), however with the advancement of elite freshman playing right away, I do think the recruiting services and college coaches are looking closer at these numbers in their evaluations. Many elite and even 3* recruits expect to play, or they bolt to the transfer portal etc... There is not the patience in development that there once was in college athletics. Also, there is abundant video on these players.

You are replying to the same guy who said he disliked recruiting 5* players in another thread and was content to win with a smattering of 4* players and mostly 3* players... but is suddenly rattling off numbers of blue chips. Don't bother.

Whatever Duff... Have that extra beer with a crumugin, on me. Was CU better with Neuweasel recruiting 5* LB Ty Gregorak, then having no back-up once he got hurt and finally quit his junior year? Or was CU better when GB recruited deep--mostly 3* and some 4* with depth down the roster and CU competed well over 6-7 seasons. There was also Marcus Houston, the best CU recruit ever (too bad he wrecked his knee), but Bobby Purify still came with Chris Brown on board. Certain players can play right away, and some are ready to break out as juniors and seniors. IMO, you recruit a bunch of guys hungry, open to improvement and growth over a few Premadonna's, where good/great recruits are unlikely to compete or see playing time against. Hawklove did great recruiting Darrell Scott and Lynn Katoa... not to mention P.T. Gates!

Whatever Duff... Have that extra beer with a crumugin, on me. Was CU better with Neuweasel recruiting 5* LB Ty Gregorak, then having no back-up once he got hurt and finally quit his junior year? Or was CU better when GB recruited deep--mostly 3* and some 4* with depth down the roster and CU competed well over 6-7 seasons. There was also Marcus Houston, the best CU recruit ever (too bad he wrecked his knee), but Bobby Purify still came with Chris Brown on board. Certain players can play right away, and some are ready to break out as juniors and seniors. IMO, you recruit a bunch of guys hungry, open to improvement and growth over a few Premadonna's, where good/great recruits are unlikely to compete or see playing time against. Hawklove did great recruiting Darrell Scott and Lynn Katoa... not to mention P.T. Gates!

CU competed well under GB for THREE seasons. Blame whatever factors you want for the last three seasons (there were many), but those teams were awful against top competition and missed a bowl game in 2003. The depth "up and down the roster" was routinely exposed. I really have to laugh if that is your template for "success" at CU.

Just blindly calling most 4* and 5* players prima donnas is a lazy take. The "just gotta coach 'em up" attitude has destroyed CU football.

CU competed well under GB for THREE seasons. Blame whatever factors you want for the last three seasons (there were many), but those teams were awful against top competition and missed a bowl game in 2003. The depth "up and down the roster" was routinely exposed. I really have to laugh if that is your template for "success" at CU.

Just blindly calling most 4* and 5* players prima donnas is a lazy take. The "just gotta coach 'em up" attitude has destroyed CU football.

Laugh all you want about my opinion, but it is just that. Frankly, I'm just praying for a win tonight and 2 more for a bowl game--mostly for the extra practices. That will be 2 bowls in like 15 seasons?? You mention they missed a bowl game in 2003, well they made all the other bowls since crushing Boston College as GB kept CU competitive under very difficult circumstances. GB won the B12 North 4 of 5 seasons, we have had a winning season once since he left. There was competitive success in way more than three seasons under GB, something like 6 or 7 seasons. Sure CU got massacared by Texas and Oklahoma in the conference champsionship games, but those teams were killing almost every team they played during that run.

Per an article today, CU may get our wish with a 5* #1 in the Country transfer from Alabama. If MT pulls that off, then CU is looking great.

The prima donnas were mostly the guys that I listed, who have more days in jail than in practice and games combined. Look at 247 for CU's all-time recruits and how many panned out to be Division 1 stars or even contributors? To be clear, although EB and Marcus Houston clashed, he was no a primma donna, he just wrecked his knee during an awesome performance at USC (a game where CU was on their way to killing the curse). Miller, Quinn S, Mohler and PRich were as good as advertized in the Top-20. Calhoun (2 years), Obi, KD, Crawley, Polk, Lynott, and Talyor are all solid multi-year players. Then look at all the hungry 3*'s that flourished.

Do stars matter?

That is a great question. I have the same sentiment. How does one project a 17-18 yo into a 22-23 yo athlete?? Even the NFL flails with guys where they have extensive college tape; scouts, combines, interviews, etc... Tom Brady was drafted in what round? I think there are probably as many flops, as there are diamonds in the rough, who are even less than 2*. I think Nate Soldier was a 2*. You look at CU's blue chips and the hit rate is less than 50% for them just being a solid contributor, much less an All-Conference or All-American. Since these recruiting have been around PRich looks to me to be the best hit, we was a top-5 WR in college football in each of his respective years (top-5 Frosh, top-5 Soph, top-5 Jr and top 5 WR picked in draft).

Stars are the rating system and recruiting listings that we have. These services analyze the players in more detail, than in years past. I think they do a decent job of naming blue chips--who are guys that come can come in and play right away. But that comes with the player expectation that they play right away, which may not be a good thing. There does seem to be a correlation of teams that recruit well on these lists, and then play at an elite level. For most teams, you recruit Top-10, you should be Top-10. All teams go through coaches, scandals, and just rough patches.

Finally, ever since the Fab 5 (basketball) at Michigan, I do think that when you have commitments from a few elite players, those players can recruit their peers and your team is suddenly super-charged.

The Buffs game was brutal last night, but I went back and forth watch USC and Oregon. Even with USC up 10-0 and Slovis playing like a magician, it was obvious that UO had better athletes at perhaps every position. They were out-athleted, just like CU. I could see SC dam breaking before it did. On the other hand, Utah looked like a much older and experienced team, less blue chips but playing upper classman. When they play head to head, I'm thinking UO, unless their youth is exposed.

Laugh all you want about my opinion, but it is just that. Frankly, I'm just praying for a win tonight and 2 more for a bowl game--mostly for the extra practices. That will be 2 bowls in like 15 seasons?? You mention they missed a bowl game in 2003, well they made all the other bowls since crushing Boston College as GB kept CU competitive under very difficult circumstances. GB won the B12 North 4 of 5 seasons, we have had a winning season once since he left. There was competitive success in way more than three seasons under GB, something like 6 or 7 seasons. Sure CU got massacared by Texas and Oklahoma in the conference champsionship games, but those teams were killing almost every team they played during that run.

Per an article today, CU may get our wish with a 5* #1 in the Country transfer from Alabama. If MT pulls that off, then CU is looking great.

The prima donnas were mostly the guys that I listed, who have more days in jail than in practice and games combined. Look at 247 for CU's all-time recruits and how many panned out to be Division 1 stars or even contributors? To be clear, although EB and Marcus Houston clashed, he was no a primma donna, he just wrecked his knee during an awesome performance at USC (a game where CU was on their way to killing the curse). Miller, Quinn S, Mohler and PRich were as good as advertized in the Top-20. Calhoun (2 years), Obi, KD, Crawley, Polk, Lynott, and Talyor are all solid multi-year players. Then look at all the hungry 3*'s that flourished.

I appreciate what Barnett did for CU, but the reality is this: he was 30-30 overall (20-20 in Big 12 play) outside of 2001-2002. That is competitive, but that certainly does not paint a picture of a healthy program just getting blown out occassionally. There were serious depth issues which popped up season after season. There were clear top end talent issues against even good teams, let alone the great ones.

I just cannot understand how that would be the template going forward. When you decide to wall off a large portion of elite talent and go with the "coach 'em route," it is really going to be bumpy from year to year because for all the three stars you manage to develop, there are countless others who will be busts. And when you have so many busts at the bottom of the roster, you get situations like this year's secondary.

I appreciate what Barnett did for CU, but the reality is this: he was 30-30 overall (20-20 in Big 12 play) outside of 2001-2002. That is competitive, but that certainly does not paint a picture of a healthy program just getting blown out occassionally. There were serious depth issues which popped up season after season. There were clear top end talent issues against even good teams, let alone the great ones.

I just cannot understand how that would be the template going forward. When you decide to wall off a large portion of elite talent and go with the "coach 'em route," it is really going to be bumpy from year to year because for all the three stars you manage to develop, there are countless others who will be busts. And when you have so many busts at the bottom of the roster, you get situations like this year's secondary.

The healthy program issue was the recruiting scandal and some other things, under which he persevered. This hindering recruiting and the CU Brand a ton. He found Klatt as a 4 year QB. He won the B12N with a 5'9" converted punter. He coached 'em up. Nate Solder? I'm not saying wall off elite talent, MT is recruiting everywhere and everyone, but there are football Blue Bloods that take a bunch of this talent-- so you can't waste a bunch of your time. If CU were a top-10-25 team with a special coach, then you go after all the Top talent that you can (i.e. GB's 1st recruiting class). CU is not there yet.

CU, Nubs and Missou all left the Big 12 for the same reason, all the Texas and Oklahoma teams were out-recruiting in Texas. The B12N as a whole could not recruit even close to Baylor, Tejas Tech, or Okie State. A&M went to the SEC, to be a different conference for Texas kids to play in. In the long run, expanding the Big 8, did not help the B12N teams at all.

The healthy program issue was the recruiting scandal and some other things, under which he persevered. This hindering recruiting and the CU Brand a ton. He found Klatt as a 4 year QB. He won the B12N with a 5'9" converted punter. He coached 'em up. Nate Solder? I'm not saying wall off elite talent, MT is recruiting everywhere and everyone, but there are football Blue Bloods that take a bunch of this talent-- so you can't waste a bunch of your time. If CU were a top-10-25 team with a special coach, then you go after all the Top talent that you can (i.e. GB's 1st recruiting class). CU is not there yet.

CU, Nubs and Missou all left the Big 12 for the same reason, all the Texas and Oklahoma teams were out-recruiting in Texas. The B12N as a whole could not recruit even close to Baylor, Tejas Tech, or Okie State. A&M went to the SEC, to be a different conference for Texas kids to play in. In the long run, expanding the Big 8, did not help the B12N teams at all.

There is a vast middle ground between wasting time on only 5*/high 4* players and deliberately choosing to target 3* players almost exclusively.

OU LB commit out of Covington, LA:

He committed to Oklahoma in June, but has still remained of interest to some other top schools. Per his Twitter account, In addition to the Buffs offering today, he received Offers in October from Miami (FL), Utah and LSU.

Index of recruits & official visits plus a catch-all thread for general comments, tweets showing interest/offers, etc. for the 2021 recruiting class.

CU COMMITMENTS:

PositionNameState247ESPNRivalsComposite
SDEAntonio Alfano (TNFR)ALNRNRNRunrated
WRChris CarpenterTX3*3*3*3* - 0.8559
SDEJulius Coates (JC)MSNRNRNRunrated
TECaleb FauriaMA3*3*3*3* - 0.8607
WDEDevin GrantTX3*3*3*3* - 0.8638
SDEJustin Jackson (JC)MS3*NR3*unrated
OGCarson LeeCO3*3*3*3* - 0.8427
QBBrendon LewisTX3*4*3*3* - 0.8880
OTGerad LichtenhanCA2*3*3*unrated
WRKeith MillerTX3*3*3*3* - 0.8485
TELouis PassarelloCA3*3*2*3* - 0.8118
SJoe PerkinsMS3*3*3*3* - 0.8265
WRBrenden RiceAZ3*3*4*3* - 0.8862
RBStacy SneedTX3*3*3*3* - 0.8613
CBJaylen Striker (JC)KS3*NRNRunrated
OLBGuy Thomas (JC)MS3*NR3*3* - 0.8528
PJosh WattsAUNRNRNRunrated
OLBAlvin WilliamsGA3*3*3*3* - 0.8527
OTJake WrayGA3*4*3*3* - 0.8717
Official Visitors:

PositionNameVisit DateCommitment
QBEvan Simon4/19/19Rutgers
QBBrendon Lewis5/3/19COLORADO
OLBJaqwondis Burns5/31/19Ole Miss
CBChris Carpenter5/31/19COLORADO
WDEJared Ivey5/31/19
CBChristian Gonzalez6/7/19Purdue
OTJaylan Jeffers6/7/19Oregon
CBAlton Julian6/7/19Oregon State
WRKeith Miller6/7/19COLORADO
ILBJayland Parker6/7/19
ATHCarson Lee6/7/19COLORADO
SDEMaceal Afaese6/14/19Oregon
SAbner Dubar6/14/19Minnesota
TECaleb Fauria6/14/19COLORADO
SDEJustin Jackson (JC)6/14/19COLORADO
SDonovan Kaufman6/14/19Vanderbilt
OTGerad Lichtenhan6/14/19COLORADO
WRMarvin Mims6/14/19Stanford
WRBrenden Rice6/14/19COLORADO
DTDeSanto Rollins6/14/19Ole Miss
OTJake Wray9/6/19COLORADO
ATHKhatavian Franks9/6/19Louisville
CBJaylen Striker9/6/19COLORADO
OLBGuy Thomas (JC)9/13/19COLORADO
TELouis Passarello10/4/19COLORADO
SDEJulius Coates (JC)10/4/19COLORADO
SVai Kaho10/25/19Nevada
DTJordan Berry11/8/19
RBAshaad Clayton11/8/19
WDEJason Harris11/8/19

Buffnik--

I am sure you have been asked this before. I am just curious, how do you compute the composite score?? Is that just taking ESPN and 247 on a 100 point scale and then changing rivals for the same scale? Your charts are cool. Thanks for the response.

Buffnik--

I am sure you have been asked this before. I am just curious, how do you compute the composite score?? Is that just taking ESPN and 247 on a 100 point scale and then changing rivals for the same scale? Your charts are cool. Thanks for the response.
The composite is from the 247 site.
247Sports Composite Rating

The 247Sports Composite Rating is a proprietary algorithm that compiles prospect "rankings" and "ratings" listed in the public domain by the major media recruiting services. It converts average industry ranks and ratings into a linear composite index capping at 1.0000, which indicates a consensus No. 1 prospect across all services.

The 247Sports Composite Rating is the industry's most comprehensive and unbiased prospect ranking and is also used to generate 247Sports Team Recruiting Rankings.

Scooby Carter’s most recent follows are Keith Miller and Antonio Alfano. Looking through all his older follows, he also follows Coach Chiaverini, Lloyd Murray, and Brandon Huffman-Dixon.

Can Mel pull off the Bama double dip??

giphy.gif

SIAP, potential walk-on kicker/punter? Sailer kicking lists as a borderline D2/D1 prospect.

John is an excellent high school kicking prospect. He is a great athlete with a strong leg. He does an outstanding job on field goal. He hits a clean ball off the ground and has 55+ yard range. His kickoffs are solid. He drives the ball into the end zone with nice hang time. Also a capable punter. He is showing steady improvement in this area each time we see him. A competitor that does very well under pressure. One of the most consistent all around performers in America. John is going to be a great college player. Look for him to have a big showing at Vegas XXXV picking up more college offers along way. He is a fine young man with a great attitude and work ethic. One of the hardest workers out there. Outstanding prospect.
Offers: Rose-Hulman, Carleton, Western Colorado, Rhodes College & University of Rochester

Scooby Carter’s most recent follows are Keith Miller and Antonio Alfano. Looking through all his older follows, he also follows Coach Chiaverini, Lloyd Murray, and Brandon Huffman-Dixon.

Can Mel pull off the Bama double dip??

Any new info on Scooby?

SIAP, potential walk-on kicker/punter? Sailer kicking lists as a borderline D2/D1 prospect.

Offers: Rose-Hulman, Carleton, Western Colorado, Rhodes College & University of Rochester

One thing that FHCMM did very well was to make sure we had a stable of quality walk-on specialists on the CU roster. It made a huge difference in 2016 and other years when injuries hit. I'm very glad to see that HCMT is also a believer in this.

Back