What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2021 Football Scholarship Roster

What do you mean?
I think he needs to do a self assessment as to why a proven recruiter is struggling so much on his staff at colorado. Is there something KD is doing wrong with how he is handling Martin that could explain why it isn’t working. If he doesn’t fix that I don’t necessarily think replacing him would do much. I hope that makes sense. For example, is the current recruiting setup not working. Is the pitch they are using not effective. Is the support staff not doing a good enough job identifying players that want to go out of state for college. Is KD struggling with his closing pitch? Just a lot of question to look into before firing the most established recruiter on the coaching staff.

I think he needs to do a self assessment as to why a proven recruiter is struggling so much on his staff at colorado. Is there something KD is doing wrong with how he is handling Martin that could explain why it isn’t working. If he doesn’t fix that I don’t necessarily think replacing him would do much. I hope that makes sense. For example, is the current recruiting setup not working. Is the pitch they are using not effective. Is the support staff not doing a good enough job identifying players that want to go out of state for college. Is KD struggling with his closing pitch? Just a lot of question to look into before firing the most established recruiter on the coaching staff.
I think its a good question, especially the methods of how they recruit. From what we know, Dorrell is having each coach recruit their position and not necessarily regions/areas. I think that is fine, except you have a guy in Martin who has massive name pull in So Cal.

Pretty much all of the Arizona fans were happy he left (although I'll admit their fan base is absolute garbage). However, Maxie doesn't seem to be having any issues, so it seems to be me he has mailed it in to an extent.

Martin's recruiting reputation was built around getting California kids to commit to UCLA under Mora who was a pretty good recruiting HC. Martin wasn't anything special at Arizona, so why would we expect better results at CU?

Questioning the program's recruiting philosophy is definitely a good take.

HCKD seems like an honest straight shooter, and I am curious as to how this impacts the message his coaches are putting out there. Do we need to adopt a more optimistic sales approach to recruiting?

I am not naive to believe CU has a winning tradition, but we certainly have some great selling points. Opportunity to play, strong academics, culturally diverse staff, beautiful campus....we got to get this ****ing thing going!

Martin's recruiting reputation was built around getting California kids to commit to UCLA under Mora who was a pretty good recruiting HC. Martin wasn't anything special at Arizona, so why would we expect better results at CU?
Either way he did a good job at Ucla and they haven’t had success on the trail like they did with Martin and mora. Basically are you saying that rodrigue would be fine it he was at LSU and recruiting comes down to the school more than the recruiter? That could definitely be true but I don’t think Martin should be struggling like this, even if we expected a drop off from the blue chip recruits he was bringing in at Ucla. Pate does bring up a good point about maxie doing a decent job this cycle though.

Martin was a grad assistant under Pete Carroll and he made a splash in So Cal at Washington before being hired by Mora.

Either way he did a good job at Ucla and they haven’t had success on the trail like they did with Martin and mora. Basically are you saying that rodrigue would be fine it he was at LSU and recruiting comes down to the school more than the recruiter? That could definitely be true but I don’t think Martin should be struggling like this, even if we expected a drop off from the blue chip recruits he was bringing in at Ucla. Pate does bring up a good point about maxie doing a decent job this cycle though.
I mean, the drop off at UCLA can clearly be attributed to Chip Kelly and his style, which has never been to go after every possible blue chip prospect and stroke their egos.

We keep ****ting on Rod's recruiting, but at least he's getting legit, P5 prospects to Boulder and has a Crystal Ball from Edwards, who would be a pretty solid Tackle commit. And yes, I do think a school's brand has a lot to do with recruiting success; not necessarily more than the recruiter, but it's a major factor. Of course Rod would pull in better recruits at LSU than he is/has at CU.

Martin was a grad assistant under Pete Carroll and he made a splash in So Cal at Washington before being hired by Mora.
Yes, he did have a few solid pulls at UW over a decade ago. Not sure that part of his tenure is relevant to today, though. He wasn't very good at Arizona, why do we expect him to be better at CU?

Yes, he did have a few solid pulls at UW over a decade ago. Not sure that part of his tenure is relevant to today, though. He wasn't very good at Arizona, why do we expect him to be better at CU?

You made it seem like he owes his success to Mora, which is not really all that true. And while he was not great at Arizona, but he was not bad either.

His tenure at CU has been significantly worse.

You made it seem like he owes his success to Mora, which is not really all that true. And while he was not great at Arizona, but he was not bad either.

He pulled in some good players while at Arizona

I wasn't suggesting he owes his success to Mora, but Mora was a really good recruiter there, obviously in large part to his staff. We just keep scratching our heads at why Martin isn't having success to the point where we are now pushing blame on Dorrell. Maybe Martin was just really good recruiting southern california kids to a southern california school.

I wasn't suggesting he owes his success to Mora, but Mora was a really good recruiter there, obviously in large part to his staff. We just keep scratching our heads at why Martin isn't having success to the point where we are now pushing blame on Dorrell. Maybe Martin was just really good recruiting southern california kids to a southern california school.

He got hired at UCLA because he got those types of players to Washington. He also got decent (not necessarily elite) players to Arizona. What is happening at CU is not even close to decent.

As far as Dorrell's culpability, look at Chev's recruiting as well. Something is not adding up.

He got hired at UCLA because he got those types of players to Washington. He also got decent (not necessarily elite) players to Arizona. What is happening at CU is not even close to decent.

As far as Dorrell's culpability, look at Chev's recruiting as well. Something is not adding up.
I know you know this, but to beat a dead horse:

Still, this is KD's problem to resolve.

At least according to 247, his highest rated recruit to Arizona was a 3* CB. Maybe he has reached the point where he's complacent in his career as an assistant coach and just doesn't have the drive anymore? I look at Chev and attribute his recruiting to becoming OC. Pretty clear correlation there, and yes, we can discuss the merits of the strategy of having WR coach as OC and the problems that presents in recruiting.

The recruiting efforts of the rest of the staff look significantly better so far in 2022 class than they did in 2021. We'll see how things continue, but excusing Martin and blaming Dorrell is just an odd thing to do.

At least according to 247, his highest rated recruit to Arizona was a 3* CB. Maybe he has reached the point where he's complacent in his career as an assistant coach and just doesn't have the drive anymore? I look at Chev and attribute his recruiting to becoming OC. Pretty clear correlation there, and yes, we can discuss the merits of the strategy of having WR coach as OC and the problems that presents in recruiting.

The recruiting efforts of the rest of the staff look significantly better so far in 2022 class than they did in 2021. We'll see how things continue, but excusing Martin and blaming Dorrell is just an odd thing to do.

Where did I blame it all on KD? Of course Martin deserves blame here.

Again, CB is going to be a problem as soon as next season if things do not change. But I guess we can just 14 CBs in the transfer portal and everything will be okay.

Not sure the two departing corners came out of the Spring with high hopes of playing a lot and neither were recruited by Coach Meat.

Kaylin Moore coming in this summer will be super ready to play. His Dad is a former Cincy Bengal DB and the DC at his high school. He will come in much more ready to play than most true frosh. So (to me) it looks like he brought in 2 solid guys for 2021.

But absolutely needs to bring in 2-3 more in 2022. Mills seems a tad under-recruited. Absurd that we are not getting more traction in So.Calif, especially given Meat's history.

Where did I blame it all on KD? Of course Martin deserves blame here.

Again, CB is going to be a problem as soon as next season if things do not change. But I guess we can just 14 CBs in the transfer portal and everything will be okay.
I'm more just addressing some of the original conversation about looking to KD as part of Meat's lack of success.

While I agree that HS recruiting across the board needs to get better, I still don't understand your lack of acceptance of the transfer portal. Five of the seven transfers are 3 to play 3, one is 5 to play 4 and Barnes is a 2 to play 2. Those are hardly band-aid situations like Grad Transfers and JUCO transfers used to be. I bet it will represent 20-25% of incoming players (and attrition) each year, and at this point for a program like CU, it's likely the best way to increase the talent level.

I'm more just addressing some of the original conversation about looking to KD as part of Meat's lack of success.

While I agree that HS recruiting across the board needs to get better, I still don't understand your lack of acceptance of the transfer portal. Five of the seven transfers are 3 to play 3, one is 5 to play 4 and Barnes is a 2 to play 2. Those are hardly band-aid situations like Grad Transfers and JUCO transfers used to be. I bet it will represent 20-25% of incoming players (and attrition) each year, and at this point for a program like CU, it's likely the best way to increase the talent level.

I like the transfer portal.

But you and others are using it to excuse poor high school recruiting. Full stop. This post is a perfect example.

Bobby Wolfe and Dion Wilson seem to be the two highest rated guys he brought in to Arizona
Wolfe was a legit recruit, but Meat is listed as Secondary recruiter, and Wilson had 2 P5 offers. I'm just saying, he built his rep as a really good recruiter when he was young and hungry and then solidified it by a fairly easy recruiting assignment of recruiting SoCal kids to UCLA. Of course he was still able to close on a lot of serious talent, which I give him credit for, but people are reaching with his time at Arizona. I'm sure this national, position only recruiting strategy KD has instituted hasn't helped, but why can't Meat go back to SoCal and recruit his position?

I like the transfer portal.

But you and others are using it to excuse poor high school recruiting. Full stop. This post is a perfect example.
I'm not excusing poor high school recruiting in the slightest, but I am never going to complain about hitting the portal heavy as part of the overall roster construction.

I'm not excusing poor high school recruiting in the slightest, but I am never going to complain about hitting the portal heavy as part of the overall roster construction.

I will just say it reflects priorities. KD will say differently, but he does not seem to place a high value on prep recruiting.

I will just say it reflects priorities. KD will say differently, but he does not seem to place a high value on prep recruiting.
I just want to watch and be a fan of a winning CU football program, and in order to do that, talented players need to be added to the roster. I don't really care how that gets done

I just want to watch and be a fan of a winning CU football program, and in order to do that, talented players need to be added to the roster. I don't really care how that gets done

You need to be able to recruit quality players in both areas.

Back