What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2021 Official Fall Camp Thread

I just like this year's RB group. Just pound the ball this year towards a bowl game (one that we would finally win).

Where's the golden kool-aid refill station? I need to refill my pitcher.
I can help you with the golden Kool-Aid.

To be clear, averaging 4.7 yards/carry in college is actually not very good. Fontenot ranked 156th in that category in 2019. Even if you remove the 14 players with fewer than 100 carries that were ahead of him, it's still not good.

If a guy isn't averaging over 5 yards/carry (probably more like 5.5), he's just not that effective, and definitely isn't considered explosive.
Phil Lindsay averaged under 5yds/carry 3 of 4 years (4.9 as a senior). All years 4.7-5.1. I’m still glad we had him 4 years.

I think the whole point @241Volcanos and I were trying to make is that, while 0 was a 4 star recruit and looks like an elite CFB running back, he hasn't proven it on the field. We all hope he does and turns out even better than 23. But just assuming that 0 is going to be the second coming of Eric Bienemy is too optimistic.

Last edited:
I think the whole point @241Volcanos and I were trying to make is that, while 0 was a 4 star recruit and looks like an elite CFB running back, he hasn't proved it on the field. We all hope he does and turns out even better than 23. But just assuming that 0 is going to be the second coming of Eric Bienemy is too optimistic.
And I think the point the rest of us are making is that he doesn’t need to be the second coming of EB to be a better RB than Fontenot

He is coming off a serious injury so I am skeptical but I see we are back to the ****ting on good players part of camp.

🤔

What do 0's 31 yards last season tell you?
That they were effective, and he made the most of his carries. Not saying Fontenot wouldn’t have done the same thing in those few situations, but Clayton DID so…

Last edited:
That’s not what I’m telling you. I’m just saying that one guy has a year+ of averaging nearly 5 yards per carry and the other has almost no CFB experience. Obviously, if 0 is both as reliable and more explosive than 8 he should get more carries.
Whoa, take it easy with that sort of reasoning. We’re talking CU here.

Whoa, take it easy with that sort of reasoning. We’re talking CU here.

If I'm honest about it, it's really difficult to see a reason to take 23 off the field. I watched a couple of last season's games recently and he did everything well.

If I'm honest about it, it's really difficult to see a reason to take 23 off the field. I watched a couple of last season's games recently and he did everything well.
Edit: in response the “whoa” comment. I was referring to the way Hagan seems to have a weird way of deciding who’s playing, specifically the backups (see Joe Davis) and it doesn’t appear to be who’s actually the BEST.

Oh, I was just taking about being high on Clayton, not anything against anyone else. I agree with you to a point. 23 should get a bulk of the carries and set the tone. But then in comes Clayton and smashes you in the face. And also, maybe we can actually get it in the end zone inside the 5. But that also may be where Stacks comes in.

Last edited:
Can I just say that this thread is actually refreshing - taking about CU football in response to things that CU football is actually doing. Seems like we got a slow, somewhat disaffected, start this year.

Yes, people are. He anchored a good run game in 2019, got solid stats when we put an emphasis on getting the tough yards and being a physical football team. And people just say, meh.
No, they are not. Saying he’s a rotational back and pointing to objective stats is not ****ting on him.

The 2019 run game was also 5th in the Pac 12 for avg/game, and 7th in avg/carry, so it was an objectively average run game.

We saw what a difference making RB looks like last year. It’s not that hard to understand.

No, they are not. Saying he’s a rotational back and pointing to objective stats is not ****ting on him.

The 2019 run game was also 5th in the Pac 12 for avg/game, and 7th in avg/carry, so it was an objectively average run game.

We saw what a difference making RB looks like last year. It’s not that hard to understand.
Wait I thought everyone said montez was garbage that year? So if our QB was garbage and we still were 5th in the conference that leads me to believe he was pretty damn good. And no, a running back who puts up those stats isn’t a “rotational player” that is a starting caliber player in this conference. Is he a rotational guy on this team? Yes but that is because we have a freak of nature in front of him not because he is just some JAG. And speaking of

Refreshing to hear our starting QB *likely* is working through a scrimmage in a solid fashion. Better than the past couple years of Montez not taking practice very seriously.

Back