What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022-23 Coaching Carousel

I do think it’s not good news the buyout info hasn’t been disclosed. Perhaps CU trying to soften the blow by delaying.

The other coaches who were fired had that info out immediately
That's because their ADs are not incompetent and had their ducks in a row. RG appears to be floundering, although I do remember that historically some buyouts weren't immediately negotiated.

Again, I never said anything about taking $2-$3m cut. In fact, I never actually said anything about him taking a cut at all. I simply said I don't think him returning to the NFL for another season or two is a given, based on the events of the last 2.5 years, him having his retirement home in Boulder finished and cashing the winning lottery ticket that was the CU HC gig.

Saying that you think he retires and take no discount is nonsense.

He must work to offset the funds owed to him by Colorado to continually receive his buyout. He has no shot of getting another HC or coordinator gig.

He has three options:

1) accept a buyout with an immediate payment. This buyout would need to be a discount of what he is owed in order for CU to be incentivized to do it (versus a time payment that the contract permits). My point is that there will be in impasse in this scenario because the offered amount and the amount he will take will be too great.

2) work a job and have that contract’s compensation offset his time payment of the remaining balance owed by CU. Most likely IMO since they won’t come to agreement on a settlement figure (disgruntled former employee).

3) decline the buyout entirely. 0% shot.

I do think it’s not good news the buyout info hasn’t been disclosed. Perhaps CU trying to soften the blow by delaying.

???? It is in the publicly available contract. There’s no negotiated buyout (yet).

Manhattan is right, KD needn't cut a deal anytime soon. He's not going to get another HC job. He'll settle, but it will take some time. While he waits, he'll continue to cash his regular paychecks.

There is no chance that he gives up millions of dollars when the only thing he has to do is work a job he’s mastered. Dude is only 59.
I agree that he won’t give up millions. I just don’t think he will have to give up millions of dollars if he doesn’t take another job. He might give up $500K to end the whole thing, however.

That's because their ADs are not incompetent and had their ducks in a row. RG appears to be floundering, although I do remember that historically some buyouts weren't immediately negotiated.

Meh. RG f*cked up with KD's contract, but he had literally no leverage to get a buyout signed before firing him. This isn't Chryst, who knows he'll be getting another HC job which would reduce the amount owed under the contract.

I agree that he won’t give up millions. I just don’t think he will have to give up millions of dollars if he doesn’t take another job. He might give up $500K to end the whole thing, however.
That was my earlier point to TScheck about opportunity cost. I am on the record saying that he would give a small discount in the six fig range, but given CU’s financial situation, I doubt they make him a settlement offer that close to the full contract amount.

Saying that you think he retires and take no discount is nonsense.

He must work to offset the funds owed to him by Colorado to continually receive his buyout. He has no shot of getting another HC or coordinator gig.

He has three options:

1) accept a buyout with an immediate payment. This buyout would need to be a discount of what he is owed in order for CU to be incentivized to do it (versus a time payment that the contract permits). My point is that there will be in impasse in this scenario because the offered amount and the amount he will take will be too great.

2) work a job and have that contract’s compensation offset his time payment of the remaining balance owed by CU. Most likely IMO since they won’t come to agreement on a settlement figure (disgruntled former employee).

3) decline the buyout entirely. 0% shot.
You're not listening or reading. I have never said anything about a specific dollar figure; that's been entirely between you and NYC.

I don't believe it's a guarantee he goes back to work for an NFL team. I don't pretend to know what CU is going to attempt to settle with him for, and he may go back to work if they try to low ball him on a settlement.

Meh. RG f*cked up with KD's contract, but he had literally no leverage to get a buyout signed before firing him. This isn't Chryst, who knows he'll be getting another HC job which would reduce the amount owed under the contract.
That makes sense, but still fits the floundering theme. He's just done too good a job of setting himself up for more failure!

You're not listening or reading. I have never said anything about a specific dollar figure; that's been entirely between you and NYC.

I don't believe it's a guarantee he goes back to work for an NFL team. I don't pretend to know what CU is going to attempt to settle with him for, and he may go back to work if they try to low ball him on a settlement.
🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

You don’t understand his contract. It is not guaranteed that he goes back to the NFL, sure, but is also most likely.

Per normal, it is you who has the comprehension issue, as I have repeatedly explained to you the scenario for him going back to the NFL.

I’ll break it down to you like you’re five:

1) CU’s ONLY incentive to give him the buyout up front is if he takes a big discount - millions of dollars. Otherwise, the entire amount can be paid to him in the same installment period of the original contract.

2) Dorrell does not want to do any favors worth millions of dollars for a place that he believes unfairly fired him.

3) In order to fulfill his end of the contract and get his money, he has to take a job. The job that he is most likely to get again is NFL WR coach.

That was my earlier point to TScheck about opportunity cost. I am on the record saying that he would give a small discount in the six fig range, but given CU’s financial situation, I doubt they make him a settlement offer that close to the full contract amount.
Factors in this are what:
- Potential earnings from NFL job (been using 250K so let's stay there)
- Want to get another job vs retire?
- Time value of money/Inflation
That's what will determine the discount for immediate settlement. It will be more than 500k if they do it, but not more than 10% of the remaining contract+500K

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

You don’t understand his contract. It is not guaranteed that he goes back to the NFL, sure, but is also most likely.

Per normal, it is you who has the comprehension issue, as I have repeatedly explained to you the scenario for him going back to the NFL.

I’ll break it down to you like you’re five:

1) CU’s ONLY incentive to give him the buyout up front is if he takes a big discount - millions of dollars. Otherwise, the entire amount can be paid to him in the same installment period of the original contract.

2) Dorrell does not want to do any favors worth millions of dollars for a place that he believes unfairly fired him.

3) In order to fulfill his end of the contract and get his money, he has to take a job. The job that he is most likely to get again is NFL WR coach.
Weren't you the guy who said he wouldn't be fired until after the season?

Weren't you the guy who said good programs don't use broader school money to help the AD?

All I've said is that I don't think it's a given he goes back to the NFL, which you have now acknowledged as possible, so I appreciate you validating what I've said. Now, quit being a condescending prick all the time.

Weren't you the guy who said he wouldn't be fired until after the season?

Weren't you the guy who said good programs don't use broader school money to help the AD?

All I've said is that I don't think it's a given he goes back to the NFL, which you have now acknowledged as possible, so I appreciate you validating what I've said. Now, quit being a condescending prick all the time.
I was the guy who said that they shouldn’t fire him until after the season to make negotiating a substantially discounted buyout more likely.

I was also the guy who said that most major programs don’t routinely use academic money to bail out the AD’s bad coaching hires. I did say that they routinely loan money to Athletic Departments.

BTW, I will be a prick to you when you’re the one who is the prick first. Feel feel to ignore me. It’ll save you money.

Would he be the Dolphins WR coach without the CU job? Maybe not. Would he be an NFL WR coach today without the CU job? Definitely.

This idea that he’s going to leave millions on the table just to retire early is fantasy. He’s only 59 and very much wants to get the money owed. Sure, if he gets a deal like NYC said, then he takes a reduced amount. A reduced amount of $2mm+ is not happening under the circumstances of his dismissal.

Remember: Dorrell feels like he was wronged and not provided sufficient time to complete the job at Colorado. He knows he’s never going to be a Head Coach ever again.
He shouldn't. If he does, he needs to watch tape of CU under his watch.

This team is 0-5 with every loss being by 23 points or more. Dorrell has nobody to blame but himself for the fact that he got fired Sunday.

Factors in this are what:
- Potential earnings from NFL job (been using 250K so let's stay there)
- Want to get another job vs retire?
- Time value of money/Inflation
That's what will determine the discount for immediate settlement. It will be more than 500k if they do it, but not more than 10% of the remaining contract+500K
I see what calculation Dorrell may have. What incentive does Colorado have to pay him a insignificantly reduced buyout?

I was the guy who said that they shouldn’t fire him until after the season to make negotiating a substantially discounted buyout more likely.

I was also the guy who said that most major programs don’t routinely use academic money to bail out the AD’s bad coaching hires. I did say that they routinely loan money to Athletic Departments.

BTW, I will be a prick to you when you’re the one who is the prick first. Feel feel to ignore me. It’ll save you money.
I said "you weren't listening or reading". If that's being a prick to you, I don't know what to say, as you were literally misrepresenting what I was saying and putting words into my mouth. I don't put anyone on ignore, as I find that to be a lame way to participate in a forum like this, but you are routinely condescending to people who engage in a discussion or debate with you.

I said "you weren't listening or reading". If that's being a prick to you, I don't know what to say, as you were literally misrepresenting what I was saying and putting words into my mouth. I don't put anyone on ignore, as I find that to be a lame way to participate in a forum like this, but you are routinely condescending to people who engage in a discussion or debate with you.
I was noting what you were saying and responding. You chose to change your position mid debate because it wasn’t making any sense relative to the facts of the situation and the evolution of the conversation (i.e. Dorrell’s contract).

Don’t want to ignore me? Fine. Your call. But don’t lecture me about being a prick in this forum when you are routinely a prick as well.

There is no chance that he gives up millions of dollars when the only thing he has to do is work a job he’s mastered. Dude is only 59.
Quoting only to say that after what I've seen the last 3 years, I don't think KD is a master of anything football related. Guy is trash as a coach.

That's all.

I was noting what you were saying and responding. You chose to change your position mid debate because it wasn’t making any sense relative to the facts of the situation and the evolution of the conversation (i.e. Dorrell’s contract).

Don’t want to ignore me? Fine. Your call. But don’t lecture me about being a prick in this forum when you are routinely a prick as well.

WeightyFlawedFlickertailsquirrel-size_restricted.gif

Quoting only to say that after what I've seen the last 3 years, I don't think KD is a master of anything football related. Guy is trash as a coach.

That's all.
He will have many options to coach receivers in the NFL. Remember when he was an abject disaster at Vandy and still got to be an NFL WR coach for many years? It’ll happen again.

Starting around 7:21, PD mentions that it will come exclusively from AD funds and not university, taxpayer, or tuition dollars. Also states that he's "confident that the final payout number will be less than the $8.7 Million"

But you're correct in that the true amount hasn't been discolsed.

Starting around 7:21, PD mentions that it will come exclusively from AD funds and not university, taxpayer, or tuition dollars. Also states that he's "confident that the final payout number will be less than the $8.7 Million"

But you're correct in that the true amount hasn't been discolsed.

Given that, my guess is it would be around 7.5mm when all said and done.

Back