What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022-23 Coaching Carousel

Personally, I don't think KD will take a discount to get his money up front. That's more likely (IMO) when a guy thinks he will get a job that will make up the difference.

Take Paul Chryst- I believe his terms were similar in that UW had until the end of his contract term - 2027- to finish paying him the $20M due. He took roughly $11M and will get paid by 2023. This also eliminates offset, so anything he gets paid from 2023 onwards is gravy. So long as he's paid more than $9M, he's going to come out ahead, and Wisconsin gets the assurance of knowing that they don't have to rely on him getting paid at least $9M over that timeframe to reduce the buyout down to $11M.

Specifically, consider a scenario where he makes $10M between 2023 and 2027. Without the buyout reduction, this offsets his UW buyout. UW pays him $10M, he collects $10M from his new job(s) and he gets $20M total. If he takes the lump sum up front, he gets $21M, $11M from UW and $10M from his new job(s)

With CU/Dorrel, the payscales for the type of position Dorrel is going to get are much smaller so I'm guessing, doing the same math, he'd take no more than a $250-500K reduction in the buyout.

That said- the CU HC job was an unforeseen windfall for Dorrel. Before CU, his plan likely was to keep working as an NFL WR coach, and potentially coordinate somewhere at the collegiate or NFL level and retire around 65-70. The CU job paid him more than he was planning to earn in those roles over that timeframe, so maybe this changes his plans. He could decline to negotiate a reduced buyout, but that forces his hand to go back to working as a coach immediately. I wonder how much appetite he has for that-everyone's been burned out by the pandemic and I am guessing he's no exception. I don't think it's a shoo-in that he wants to go right back to work.

I wonder how much appetite he has for that-everyone's been burned out by the pandemic and I am guessing he's no exception. I don't think it's a shoo-in that he wants to go right back to work.
Exactly what I've been saying. Brace for manhattan coming off the top rope in a tizzy

Personally, I don't think KD will take a discount to get his money up front. That's more likely (IMO) when a guy thinks he will get a job that will make up the difference.

Take Paul Chryst- I believe his terms were similar in that UW had until the end of his contract term - 2027- to finish paying him the $20M due. He took roughly $11M and will get paid by 2023. This also eliminates offset, so anything he gets paid from 2023 onwards is gravy. So long as he's paid more than $9M, he's going to come out ahead, and Wisconsin gets the assurance of knowing that they don't have to rely on him getting paid at least $9M over that timeframe to reduce the buyout down to $11M.

Specifically, consider a scenario where he makes $10M between 2023 and 2027. Without the buyout reduction, this offsets his UW buyout. UW pays him $10M, he collects $10M from his new job(s) and he gets $20M total. If he takes the lump sum up front, he gets $21M, $11M from UW and $10M from his new job(s)

With CU/Dorrel, the payscales for the type of position Dorrel is going to get are much smaller so I'm guessing, doing the same math, he'd take no more than a $250-500K reduction in the buyout.

That said- the CU HC job was an unforeseen windfall for Dorrel. Before CU, his plan likely was to keep working as an NFL WR coach, and potentially coordinate somewhere at the collegiate or NFL level and retire around 65-70. The CU job paid him more than he was planning to earn in those roles over that timeframe, so maybe this changes his plans. He could decline to negotiate a reduced buyout, but that forces his hand to go back to working as a coach immediately. I wonder how much appetite he has for that-everyone's been burned out by the pandemic and I am guessing he's no exception. I don't think it's a shoo-in that he wants to go right back to work.
He will not need to go back to work immediately (this season). He can be off for the remainder of this season and work next season once opportunities reopen for 2023. I think his decision depends on the final offered amount since it is an acrimonious divorce. If it is a minimal discount, sure, he can feel free to take the money. If their offer is a discount in the multiple millions, unclear why he’d say yes when he feels done wrong by CU.

Animated GIF

He will not need to go back to work immediately (this season). He can be off for the remainder of this season and work next season once opportunities reopen for 2023. I think his decision depends on the final offered amount since it is an acrimonious divorce. If it is a minimal discount, sure, he can feel free to take the money. If their offer is a discount in the multiple millions, unclear why he’d say yes when he feels done wrong by CU.
Right- he would have to start working next season- that's what I meant by immediately. Sorry for lack of clarity. There might be a scenario where he just decides he's done or wants to take a couple years off. I'm not sure that would be worth a few million to me, but given that this was a windfall to him NEAR retirement age, who knows.

Although I have to admit- it's also different than Chryst in that he's only beholden to work through the 2024 season, not 2027. could he decide to gut out a couple of years as WR coach for the Jets at $250K per in order to get all $8.7M? Absolutely. In fact, I think that's likely.

Right- he would have to start working next season- that's what I meant by immediately. Sorry for lack of clarity. There might be a scenario where he just decides he's done or wants to take a couple years off. I'm not sure that would be worth a few million to me, but given that this was a windfall to him NEAR retirement age, who knows.

Although I have to admit- it's also different than Chryst in that he's only beholden to work through the 2024 season, not 2027. could he decide to gut out a couple of years as WR coach for the Jets at $250K per in order to get all $8.7M? Absolutely. In fact, I think that's likely.
I am sure @The Alabaster Yak now doesn’t like this post as well because you found a way to also agree with me in the concluding paragraph. 😈

See that’s where you’re lost. I don’t disagree with you, I just said I don’t believe it’s a given he decides to go back to the league. Keep going, though, I’m fine with you getting the last word.
Now you’re saying that you spent 6-7 messages agreeing with me? Legit LMAO.

You know what I miss? The beating a dead horse emoji. So, I hit "more" on the emoji list to find it. It isn't there, but man, there are a ton of emojis to choose from.

I like this one.👾

i remember when the carousel thread used to be entertaining. Dammit, Lefty, you have work to do!

i remember when the carousel thread used to be entertaining. Dammit, Lefty, you have work to do!
:LOL: I started spinning the carousel because it was something to do during bowl season since the Buffs were always at home watching TV, rather than practicing and playing.

Now, when I think of the carousel, it reminds me that virtually every other team in CFB has a competent, rational acting AD. So it is hard to get going.

Since HCKD got fired, I feel the urge building....

Follow the conversation. TScheck is saying that Dorrell will take a large ($2-3mm) cut in the guaranteed money owed to him by Colorado in order to receive an up front, lump sum payment. I am saying that he will not do that.
How long is his payout period and in what kind of installments? Do you know.
Maybe I missed that in this convo.

How long is his payout period and in what kind of installments? Do you know.
Maybe I missed that in this convo.
My understanding of the contract is that a full buyout is paid on the same schedule of his payments as an employee. If there’s some sort of settlement agreement, they are structured per the terms of the negotiated agreement. I’ve seen immediate payment, installments increments paid in a short timeline, and installment increments paid over a medium timeline.

I've never understood why being fired for losing games wasn't being fired for cause. You get paid to win games, if you are not winning games, you aren't doing your job.
Sadly isn’t spelled out in coaching contracts.

I've never understood why being fired for losing games wasn't being fired for cause. You get paid to win games, if you are not winning games, you aren't doing your job.
Bad teams wouldn’t be able to attract coaches, so coaches have leverage for guaranteed agreements.

The crazy thing to me is that it's even allowed for non-profits to have this level of executive pay -- and to grant these golden parachutes on top of that compensation.

Back