What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022-23 Coaching Carousel

re: the discussion about KD taking a lower buy-out to avoid having to look for work over the next several years.

when i worked in fast food, I'd frequently see people applying for a job just to check the box for unemployment that they were looking, but had no sincere desire to get hired. they'd fill out an application and list work availability completely misaligned with the needs of a restaurant, show up disheveled for an interview, give answers that seemed deliberate to sabotage any forthcoming job offer, etc...

I don't think it would be a reach for KD to do something similar, (e.g. apply exclusively for HC roles at P5 schools or coordinator positions at blue blood schools that wouldn't touch him). he could check the box of "trying to find employment as a football coach" while continuing to get the full amount owed. I'm not seeing this issue being a motivation for him to settle in the least.

re: the discussion about KD taking a lower buy-out to avoid having to look for work over the next several years.

when i worked in fast food, I'd frequently see people applying for a job just to check the box for unemployment that they were looking, but had no sincere desire to get hired. they'd fill out an application and list work availability completely misaligned with the needs of a restaurant, show up disheveled for an interview, give answers that seemed deliberate to sabotage any forthcoming job offer, etc...

I don't think it would be a reach for KD to do something similar, (e.g. apply exclusively for HC roles at P5 schools or coordinator positions at blue blood schools that wouldn't touch him). he could check the box of "trying to find employment as a football coach" while continuing to get the full amount owed. I'm not seeing this issue being a motivation for him to settle in the least.
The fast food industry probably isn’t the same small fraternity that coaching is. He may not want to burn bridges all over the place just to sit on his ass cashing checks.

The fast food industry probably isn’t the same small fraternity that coaching is. He may not want to burn bridges all over the place just to sit on his ass cashing checks.
I guess I don't see it as burning bridges if he's just going through the motions of finding work without really wanting a job offer.

Starting around 7:21, PD mentions that it will come exclusively from AD funds and not university, taxpayer, or tuition dollars. Also states that he's "confident that the final payout number will be less than the $8.7 Million"

But you're correct in that the true amount hasn't been discolsed.
The above is true no matter what since Dorrell will need to get a job to offset to amount paid by Colorado. Saying “less than $8.7 million” is unhelpful.

I don't think it would be a reach for KD to do something similar, (e.g. apply exclusively for HC roles at P5 schools or coordinator positions at blue blood schools that wouldn't touch him).
For actual professionals, what you describe is very damaging to their egos. Having to relive their failure over and over again would be somewhat crushing to their sense of self worth. Taking a lesser buyout to avoid the embarrassment of not being taken seriously as a legitimate candidate for positions in a field that you worked in your entire life would make some sense.

Not a ton less money mind you, but some lesser amount.

You don’t understand litigation. It’s all about putting forward the best facts. No lawyer is going to advise KD that a half-assed job search is a good idea. Instead, it would be a good reason to settle for a discount. As Manhattan has already said, KD’s leverage is to take an NFL assistant job for a couple hundred thousand per year.

You don’t understand litigation. It’s all about putting forward the best facts. No lawyer is going to advise KD that a half-assed job search is a good idea. Instead, it would be a good reason to settle for a discount. As Manhattan has already said, KD’s leverage is to take an NFL assistant job for a couple hundred thousand per year.
you're right in that I probably don't understand litigation, but more to the point of this discussion, I'm not understanding why litigation is much of a factor in this decision.

if KD goes through the motions of looking for another job while formally "checking the boxes", does anyone think the CUAD is going to bother taking him to court over that?

you're right in that I probably don't understand litigation, but more to the point of this discussion, I'm not understanding why litigation is much of a factor in this decision.

if KD goes through the motions of looking for another job while formally "checking the boxes", does anyone think the CUAD is going to bother taking him to court over that?
Yes, I linked to the contract in another thread . Not only is KD required to mediate his claim of damages, he has to bring a legal action if there’s no settlement. The contract requires that it be taken to court.

Yep. Curious about why the substantial reduction. Can’t find anything.
From #331 in this thread
Personally, I don't think KD will take a discount to get his money up front. That's more likely (IMO) when a guy thinks he will get a job that will make up the difference.

Take Paul Chryst- I believe his terms were similar in that UW had until the end of his contract term - 2027- to finish paying him the $20M due. He took roughly $11M and will get paid by 2023. This also eliminates offset, so anything he gets paid from 2023 onwards is gravy. So long as he's paid more than $9M, he's going to come out ahead, and Wisconsin gets the assurance of knowing that they don't have to rely on him getting paid at least $9M over that timeframe to reduce the buyout down to $11M.

Specifically, consider a scenario where he makes $10M between 2023 and 2027. Without the buyout reduction, this offsets his UW buyout. UW pays him $10M, he collects $10M from his new job(s) and he gets $20M total. If he takes the lump sum up front, he gets $21M, $11M from UW and $10M from his new job(s)

With CU/Dorrel, the payscales for the type of position Dorrel is going to get are much smaller so I'm guessing, doing the same math, he'd take no more than a $250-500K reduction in the buyout.

That said- the CU HC job was an unforeseen windfall for Dorrel. Before CU, his plan likely was to keep working as an NFL WR coach, and potentially coordinate somewhere at the collegiate or NFL level and retire around 65-70. The CU job paid him more than he was planning to earn in those roles over that timeframe, so maybe this changes his plans. He could decline to negotiate a reduced buyout, but that forces his hand to go back to working as a coach immediately. I wonder how much appetite he has for that-everyone's been burned out by the pandemic and I am guessing he's no exception. I don't think it's a shoo-in that he wants to go right back to work.

I only said that because I think a typical hospital administrator would be a better football coach than FHCKD!
You Have A Point Reaction GIF by CBS

So, @leftybuff needs to reset the thread, IMO. Get off your ass and do something!

Current open P5 jobs:

Colorado
Arizona State
Wisconsin
Nebraska
Georgia Tech

Soon-to-be/likely open P5 jobs:

Auburn
Louisville
West Virginia

Possible P5 openings at some point?

Missouri
Texas

Thoughts on additions/removals to or from this list?

Feels like CU is swimming in a similar candidate pond as many of these programs, so where does CU stack up among these jobs? Last? Second to last with WVU?

Back