What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2022-23 Coaching Carousel

So, @leftybuff needs to reset the thread, IMO. Get off your ass and do something!

Current open P5 jobs:

Colorado
Arizona State
Wisconsin
Nebraska
Georgia Tech

Soon-to-be/likely open P5 jobs:

Auburn
Louisville
West Virginia

Possible P5 openings at some point?

Missouri
Texas

Thoughts on additions/removals to or from this list?

Feels like CU is swimming in a similar candidate pond as many of these programs, so where does CU stack up among these jobs? Last? Second to last with WVU?

These are the only ones I can think:

P5 openings that wouldn't shock me (firing edition): Stanford, Oklahoma, Indiana

P5 openings that wouldn't shock me (quitting edition): UNC

P5 openings that wouldn't shock me (backfill edition): Cincinnati, Kansas, Wake Forest

These would shock me a little: Boston College (firing), Iowa (quitting), Northwestern (firing)

These are the only ones I can think:

P5 openings that wouldn't shock me (firing edition): Stanford, Oklahoma, Indiana

P5 openings that wouldn't shock me (quitting edition): UNC

P5 openings that wouldn't shock me (backfill edition): Cincinnati, Kansas, Wake Forest

These would shock me a little: Boston College (firing), Iowa (quitting), Northwestern (firing)
Oklahoma has been baaaad, but I would still be shocked if Venables was one and done. Riley left them unexpectedly and took their QB with him so I think he survives but will be on the hot seat immediately.

Maybe if Barry Alvarez retires.
He actually has no official position with the University or AD anymore. He may very well still be in the background as a consultant or something, and I assume he's still gladhanding the boosters, but firing an "Alvarez guy" like Chryst after the success he's had is a fairly strong indicator that he isn't inserting himself into the process like he used to, at least IMO.

I think they are ready to move on from that era and brand of football in Madison.

I think this is about as favorable of a coaching carousel as we could imagine at CU.

Wisconsin - already hitched to Leonhard, I'd imagine. If not, Leipold. Likely a two horse race and swimming in deeper waters anyway.
Nebraska - Swimming in deeper waters, absolutely. I'd bet Leipold is their top target? CU and Nebraska will likely only share 1/2 candidates.
Auburn - May take Grimes off the table for CU, and who knows what their new AD prefers. But definitely swimming in deeper waters. Deion is also hooked into Under Armour, and Auburn is an Under Armour school.
Louisville - This is likely where CU may get squeezed. I think Lousiville and Rhule are a good match, and Jeff Brohm is obviously the large favorite here.
Georgia Tech - Brent Key may just keep this job as an interim, and if not, GT is similar to CU, though I'd argue they are in a worse position.
Arizona State - Ray Anderson is the one AD I trust less than Rick George to make a hire. This may end up Bryan Harsin (I'm sure I spelled that wrong)

Oklahoma has been baaaad, but I would still be shocked if Venables was one and done. Riley left them unexpectedly and took their QB with him so I think he survives but will be on the hot seat immediately.
You might be right. They might do the "fire both coordinators" song and dance this year and then can Venables next year if they are as bad as they have shown the last 3 weeks.

If his buyout is structured like Chryst's (85% of the remaining salary owed) they could choose to either buy him out at the end of this season to the tune of ~$30M or wait until next year and it would be ~$24M. I could definitely see a scenario where they decide that it's worth the $6M, especially if they miss a bowl game for the first time this millennium and look as bad as they have the last 3 weeks for the rest of the season.

Seems like more quality candidates than jobs for a change
Add Matt Rhule to the mix. He doesn’t need money …. But if he wants to coach and build back his reputation as a winner before retiring…. Here we are!

I think this is about as favorable of a coaching carousel as we could imagine at CU.

Wisconsin - already hitched to Leonhard, I'd imagine. If not, Leipold. Likely a two horse race and swimming in deeper waters anyway.
Nebraska - Swimming in deeper waters, absolutely. I'd bet Leipold is their top target? CU and Nebraska will likely only share 1/2 candidates.
Auburn - May take Grimes off the table for CU, and who knows what their new AD prefers. But definitely swimming in deeper waters. Deion is also hooked into Under Armour, and Auburn is an Under Armour school.
Louisville - This is likely where CU may get squeezed. I think Lousiville and Rhule are a good match, and Jeff Brohm is obviously the large favorite here.
Georgia Tech - Brent Key may just keep this job as an interim, and if not, GT is similar to CU, though I'd argue they are in a worse position.
Arizona State - Ray Anderson is the one AD I trust less than Rick George to make a hire. This may end up Bryan Harsin (I'm sure I spelled that wrong)
ASU and CU are probably fighting for the same coach

You might be right. They might do the "fire both coordinators" song and dance this year and then can Venables next year if they are as bad as they have shown the last 3 weeks.

If his buyout is structured like Chryst's (85% of the remaining salary owed) they could choose to either buy him out at the end of this season to the tune of ~$30M or wait until next year and it would be ~$24M. I could definitely see a scenario where they decide that it's worth the $6M, especially if they miss a bowl game for the first time this millennium and look as bad as they have the last 3 weeks for the rest of the season.
Giving up 104 points in the last two games is not sitting well with the Sooner faithful. OU guys I know are gobsmacked in general by the events of the last year.

Yeah, I would say Louisville, GT and ASU are swimming in essentially the same pool, although GT could go with a guy like Chadwell, who almost assuredly isn't on CU's list (mutually). ASU will be the main competition. Same conference situation, same tier of program for all intents and purposes, better natural recruiting grounds, more backing from the administration (at least at current from what we know), but they do have looming sanctions that could really be a deterrent.

ASU and CU are probably fighting for the same coach
Maybe. ASU is the better job in terms of admissions, transfers, and overall recruiting neighborhood. And for some reason the Phoenix area has an undeserved pizazz with some younger folks who have never lived there.

Back