What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2023 CU Buffs Football Eligibility Chart

For predictions I'll say:

Alton McCaskill-3rd round
Jordan Domineck-5th round
Xavier Weaver-6th round
Leonard Payne-7th round
Javon Antonio-7th round
Rodrick Ward-priority UDFA
Kavosiey Smoke-camp signee

I'll give Shedeur a 2nd round grade for now, and say he'll be back for his senior year.

I'm keeping an eye on Jimmy Horn, Savion Washington, and Demouy Kennedy as early declare possibilities.

My darkhorse candidate is Khairi Manns. I like his tape and he's got an NFL frame. He was really good in 2021 and I think he'll rebound.

For predictions I'll say:

Alton McCaskill-3rd round
Jordan Domineck-5th round
Xavier Weaver-6th round
Leonard Payne-7th round
Javon Antonio-7th round
Rodrick Ward-priority UDFA
Kavosiey Smoke-camp signee

I'll give Shedeur a 2nd round grade for now, and say he'll be back for his senior year.

I'm keeping an eye on Jimmy Horn, Savion Washington, and Demouy Kennedy as early declare possibilities.

My darkhorse candidate is Khairi Manns. I like his tape and he's got an NFL frame. He was really good in 2021 and I think he'll rebound.
Well done.

One of my favorite updates of every offseason is even more fun with all the talent we brought in! Adam has a free audio, video, and written piece setup for us.

Crazy to see guys like Omarion Cooper, Travis Jay and Dylan Edwards in the 40-32 range. Feel like in most other years, all three of these guys would be in top 6-7 range. Even some of the Honorable Mentions (Bishop Thomas, Arden Walker, Amari McNeil, etc) would have typically landed in the top 10-15 on most CU teams.

Crazy to see guys like Omarion Cooper, Travis Jay and Dylan Edwards in the 40-32 range. Feel like in most other years, all three of these guys would be in top 6-7 range. Even some of the Honorable Mentions (Bishop Thomas, Arden Walker, Amari McNeil, etc) would have typically landed in the top 10-15 on most CU teams.
Have not listened, but I expect Walker and McNeil to contribute MUCH more than Travis Jay

Hard to adjust our thinking after 20+ years but this team is going to have guys on the bench who not only would have started in recent years but been stars/key players.

These guys are also going to push each other, the guys on the field at most positions will be the ones who earn it, no more of trying to find 11 guys who won't get run over.

Recent years even the high talent guys we had struggled sometimes because they didn't get pushed in practice. Take a couple days off mentally and they could know they would still start because there wasn't anybody else. Go less than 100% in scrimmages as still do okay because the guy lined up against them wasn't good enough to make they pay for it.

This is what taking winning seriously looks like.

I won't be clicking since William Gardner contributed...... Adam needs to unhitch from that clown.

Dominek was a 7.5 sack guy on a better SEC team and McClendon was going to start at FSU. Edge is deep
I think Domineck is going to be a really solid player for CU. But to insinuate he's definitely better than Walker when 2.5 of JD's sacks came against a lowly team, seems unwarranted to me. Walker had some dudes ahead of him if I remember correctly. I think their contributions will be relatively similar. I could also be way off though.

Dominek was a 7.5 sack guy on a better SEC team and McClendon was going to start at FSU. Edge is deep
This is the key.

Some teams are happy to have one guy who can rush from the edge.

Having two creates problems for an offense.

Having three or more is a huge advantage because you can throw a fresh rusher at them.

Most of the time over a game the defensive line wears down faster than the OL, we are going to be able to face tired tackles with quality rushers who are fresher than they are.

Still want to see what we look like on the interior DL but between the guys we have on the edge and the quality of DBs, especially Corners teams are going to be afraid of getting into obvious passing situations.

I think Domineck is going to be a really solid player for CU. But to insinuate he's definitely better than Walker when 2.5 of JD's sacks came against a lowly team, seems unwarranted to me. Walker had some dudes ahead of him if I remember correctly. I think their contributions will be relatively similar. I could also be way off though.
I was simply saying that being penciled in as the starter at Missouri doesn’t mean anything when there is guy who was actually productive at an SEC program

Somebody is going to have to WORK to research where to place all the new Buffs on potential All Pac12 teams. No one did. This was the easy button.

I relish the opportunity to contrast this with where things end up at season end.
End of the season is when it matters. End of season honors mean contributions to winning.

Are we actually gonna sign another QB? Grad or Transfer

That is the one spot that terrifies me

This being CU and all the emotional scars of the past 20 years has me up at night just knowing Shadeur will do his ACL on the first play of training camp

Are we actually gonna sign another QB? Grad or Transfer

That is the one spot that terrifies me

This being CU and all the emotional scars of the past 20 years has me up at night just knowing Shadeur will do his ACL on the first play of training camp
If he had to step in,I'd be willing to bet that Staub is better than anything we've seen for awhile. The QB room is what it is at this point.

If he had to step in,I'd be willing to bet that Staub is better than anything we've seen for awhile. The QB room is what it is at this point.
Yeah. I think the freshmen QBs are much more talented than any upperclassman we could have signed. Besides, a freshman QB is joining with a goal of becoming a starter at CU after Shedeur and making the NFL. Does an upperclassman QB who signed here to hold a clipboard fit our new culture? I think we are better off running with the frosh if we're forced to go to the bench.

Yeah. I think the freshmen QBs are much more talented than any upperclassman we could have signed. Besides, a freshman QB is joining with a goal of becoming a starter at CU after Shedeur and making the NFL. Does an upperclassman QB who signed here to hold a clipboard fit our new culture? I think we are better off running with the frosh if we're forced to go to the bench.
Also going to be much easier for any of our QBs this year including a freshman if necessary because of the improvements on the rest of the offense.

Having an OL that can run block well enough to make controlling the ball with the RBs alone will make a huge difference. That then sets up much more effective pass blocking.

With that competent coaching can protect a young QB with formations and play calling.

Not trying to claim they were any good, evidenced by where they transferred to, but in recent years it would have been hard for any QB to look good as they often had company before they could even set up.

Also going to be much easier for any of our QBs this year including a freshman if necessary because of the improvements on the rest of the offense.

Having an OL that can run block well enough to make controlling the ball with the RBs alone will make a huge difference. That then sets up much more effective pass blocking.

With that competent coaching can protect a young QB with formations and play calling.

Not trying to claim they were any good, evidenced by where they transferred to, but in recent years it would have been hard for any QB to look good as they often had company before they could even set up.
Yep.

Just to be clear to everyone, I'm not sugarcoating it and don't think it's ideal. I would much prefer having a veteran backup who had been in the system for 1-4 years and had game experience. But that wasn't possible. Just saying I prefer one of the frosh as our QB2 vs a veteran brought in with a defined backup role expectation for his time at CU (and I believe those were our options).

Ideally it will be a season of a healthy Shedeur and some blowouts of opponents which allow a frosh to get significant game reps in the 4th quarter.

Back