What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2023 Pac 12 Tourney thread- #9 seed MEN'S bball (Las Vegas; 2nd round game vs. #1 seed/ #2 ranked UCLA, Thursday, 3/9, 1:00 PM MT, Pac 12 Networks)

Winning a tournament game without Simpson, Ruffin, and Hadley.

Season 9 Premiere GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

Gutsy win, and yeah hopefully gets us in the NIT. Given the injuries, that's big time.

A month ago. a few on here were talking about how Hammond needed to move on after this season. I never saw that. He's proven he belongs the last two games especially but many other games this year as well. Kid is a sophomore and his confidence grows every game. He plays within himself and makes others better. As much as I love KJ, you can't always say that about him. Nique is the only dead weight I see.

I am one of those who think Hammond needed to move on after this season. This game doesn't change my opinion that much. We have some guys who can be good to great when they play lesser talents, but they don't show up when the game matters and talent level goes up to another level.

Hammond can be a very good rotational piece, but I am not convinced at all that he should be PG2.

I guess the game against UCLA will tell us more.

I have added some links to the original post related to tomorrow's game with UCLA.

Media available (so far) after today's win.

Article (Assume it may be edited to add more later.) - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/3/8/mens-basketball-buffs-vs-huskies.aspx

"
LAS VEGAS — Colorado's Julian Hammond III scored a career-high 21 points and the Buffaloes used a key 7-0 run in the final minute Wednesday to take a 74-68 win over Washington in the first round of the Pac-12 tournament at T-Mobile Arena.

The ninth-seeded Buffs, who lost twice to the No. 8 Huskies in the regular season, improved to 17-15 and will face No. 1 seed UCLA in Thursday's 1 p.m. (MT) quarterfinal.

HOW IT HAPPENED: Colorado led by as much as 14 in the first half and still held an eight-point edge at the break, 28-20. But the Huskies hit two quick 3-pointers to open the second half and make it a game.

NEXT UP: Colorado will face No. 1 seed UCLA in a 1 p.m. quarterfinal game Thursday at T-Mobile Arena.
"

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/sports/mens-basketball/stats/2022-23/washington/boxscore/16321

I don't hate Hammond. I just don't think that he is good enough for the buffs to be a top 4 team in the pac-12 (a goal you should be shooting for if you want in the tournament). I liked what I saw the last two games but that has been his M.O.; play well against lesser talent and wilt against good guards.

There is always room on a team for a guy who can knock down shots though.

Didn't get to watch it. Sounds like much of the same except finding a way to win, that's a plus. Good job fellas, enjoy it, then go get another. (y)

I don't hate Hammond. I just don't think that he is good enough for the buffs to be a top 4 team in the pac-12 (a goal you should be shooting for if you want in the tournament). I liked what I saw the last two games but that has been his M.O.; play well against lesser talent and wilt against good guards.

Major kudos to Hammond, he was the difference. If TDS gets stronger and improves even more, POY candidate. LOB is solid, if he automates the 3 he starts regardless. LL more thsn held his own against Meah who has been plsying well and kinda dominated LL last game. If EW could only hit his open 3s now. Nique??? Well has been rebounding lately.

Almost have to wonder if Hammond is better at PG with KJ at SG like Booker. That was a clean a** game. 1 turnover (I counted more but ok). Very impressive and he kept finding a way to score tough baskets.

The way this year has gone, the past two games have been a real inspiring thing for this team
Backs against the wall, short-handed, and with a real calm demeanor, they won two games with their brains.
This was good coaching by Tad, for some reason, earlier in the year was not so good.

Agreed. Hammond had 2 great games, 4 decent ones, 18 meh games, and 8 horrible ones this season. He's decent against the likes of Utah, Oregon State and Washington. Any teams over .500? Not so good.

If we truly want to break through next year, he better not be anything more than a role piece.

Preview and notes articles (both by Pat Rooney) from Buffzone for tomorrow's game with UCLA -

Direct link -

Direct link -

Last edited:
Goosebumps. That said, Carlon Brown ain't walking through that door.
I said that more to agree with you on the line! It doesn't looking good, it hasn't happened in 10 years.

Having said that beating a team 3 times in a year is hard for anybody especially the home/road/neutral court sweep. Tad's only let that happen 3 times at Colorado. Versus Kansas in his first year, Zona in 13/14, and Washington in 18/19.

I have to concede that both Hammond and LOB were superb yesterday. What's really encouraging is they performed this well under the spotlight of the Conference Tourney. Hammond was extremely good on offense, though he frequently got beat on defense. Both he and LOB hit big-shots, which to me was completely unexpected.

Though I feel better about both of them going-forward than I did a week ago, I still say they will continue to struggle against more talented teams, particularly Hammond. The other caveat is it's amazing to me how weak this league is outside UCLA, Arizona and maybe USC. Put this CU team in the Big 12, and it would be one the worst, in not the worst, teams in the league. Tad Boyle is very lucky to be in PAC 12 when he has a team this mediocre.

I believe we have a solid shot.
The team plays a different game when KJ is out, and so far several guys have shown well.
We are starting 4 guys who went to HS within 90 miles of Boulder.
And, I know this is ucla, but LL has been fast-tracking his development. He is a legit D center and a good passer. Okay rebounding too.

On the other hand, ucla wants that #1 seed.

Tad commented that ucla runs a lot of illegal screens, but we shouldn't expect the refs to call them

I didn't realize that Hammond III's grandfather, Julian I, played for the Rockets for 5 years. I remember him, good player.

Back