What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2023 Top 25 Watch

Highlander

There can be only one
Club Member
AP and Coaches pre-season rankings are out.

Since ESPN will be whoring for the Big 12 going forward, my boycott of them is officially over. Without additional preamble, here it is.

1692206104983.png

Totally not shocking CU didn't make the Top 25, but not a single soul in either poll gave us a single vote when the following teams did?
  • Boise State
  • Troy
  • Louisville
  • Duke
  • Illinois
  • Coastal Carolina
  • Liberty
  • James Madison
  • South Alabama
  • NC State
  • Toledo
  • Air Force
  • Houston
  • Arizona
  • Kansas
  • Memphis
That would be funny if it wasn't so sad.

Just more fodder for the bulletin board, I guess.

I'll try to update this weekly. If the Buffs are as good as some of you think they will be, this could be entertaining as the season unfolds.

Last edited:
Unlike most weeks when the poll comes out on Sundays after the games, the Week 1 edition will come out a few days later, on Tuesday, Sept. 5 at around 2 p.m. Eastern time, following the conclusion of the entire Week 1 schedule.

It should be interesting to see where CU ends up. I’m guessing towards the top of “Others receiving votes” but I see some pundits call for us to for sure be in the Top 25. We will find out tomorrow.

Unlike most weeks when the poll comes out on Sundays after the games, the Week 1 edition will come out a few days later, on Tuesday, Sept. 5 at around 2 p.m. Eastern time, following the conclusion of the entire Week 1 schedule.

It should be interesting to see where CU ends up. I’m guessing towards the top of “Others receiving votes” but I see some pundits call for us to for sure be in the Top 25. We will find out tomorrow.
It’s going to be tough to get into the top 25 when only two top 25 teams have lost so far, and the one we didn’t beat lost to #8 FSU in a neutral site game.

The flip side is that it means the CUs win was-by far- the best outside of FSUs, especially considering it was on the road.

Many of the teams in the RV category also won, some of them convincingly.

According to the latest SEC Shorts (posted in News, Humor thread) CU is #1.

Whatever ESPN just put out is pure nonsense. We aren't in the top 50 because:

"measure of team strength that is meant to be the best predictor of a team's performance going forward for the rest of the season. FPI represents how many points above or below average a team is. Projected results are based on 20,000 simulations of the rest of the season using FPI, results to date, and the remaining schedule"

Espn has a model based on LAST YEAR still. This is just stupid.

EDIT: ESPN put out 2 completely different polls. One poll has us at 21 and another simulated poll has us at 50 ish.

Last edited:
Week 2 and the world has taken notice.

The coaches place CU at #25, right behind Duke. 2 thoughts on this:
1) Now that everyone knows CP keeps receipts of coaches, too (Briles - I'm talking to you), they don't want to be on his list
2) While I sort of understand CU being behind Duke given they beat a Top 10 Clemson team, 10 bucks says TCU would beat Clemson 9 times out of 10

1693937560425.png

As posted above by @RiverBuff, CU checks in at 22, again right behind Duke at 21. See my previous comments.

1693937708046.pngl

PS - ESPN must be having some kind of tiff with the AP rankings as they aren't even showing them at all on their rankings page, which is stupid.

The obvious problem with Duke and the coaches poll is that they're behind a team they seemed to relatively convincingly beat.

Rankings at this point of the season are garbage, just like the coaches' poll is complete and utter rubbish in general.

UCLA checks in at 27.

If the conference holds serve this week, there could be 7/12 in the AP top 25. How the hell could the leadership of this stupid place now figure out a TV deal...

TCU dropped out but sits at 29. I hope they have a good rest of the year. Prop our ranking up.

They were late to the party. As simple as that.

The obvious problem with Duke and the coaches poll is that they're behind a team they seemed to relatively convincingly beat.

Rankings at this point of the season are garbage, just like the coaches' poll is complete and utter rubbish in general.
Yeah. How the fvck could anyone watch a team beat another by 3 touchdowns in the only game either has played... and rank the loser higher than the winner?

Yeah. How the fvck could anyone watch a team beat another by 3 touchdowns in the only game either has played... and rank the loser higher than the winner?
The only thing I could see is how incredibly fluky that game was. I don't agree with it, but you could look at all of those turnovers and say no way Clemson does that again.

Given the number of Clemson drives that died in the redzone last night, I'm not necessarily buying the rationale that Clemson's dynasty is over. Just wait for the FSU game at home on the 23rd.

They didn't watch :)

There're 3 factors here IMO

a) They don't care and just let someone else fill in the ballot for them.

b) Perception. Clemson has been very successful recently and won on the biggest stage, Duke just exists. Clemson just gets the benefit of the doubt, a phenomenon often seen with SEC teams when it comes to crucial decisions like playoff spots.

c) No coach is gonna sit down on Monday evening and think "GREAT! I can go and watch 2 teams that are totally not relevant to me (right now)!". If they're working they'll be doing something that helps them prepare for the next opponent ("Let's watch that game OC X called in 2021 to see if I'm onto something with my suspicion that he has that tendency!" or they'll be spending time with their kids or bang their wives. I think coaches can give you a great reflection on teams on their schedule, but otherwise I am not sure they have the time to care or need to care unless they have a personal interest.

b) Perception. Clemson has been very successful recently and won on the biggest stage, Duke just exists. Clemson just gets the benefit of the doubt, a phenomenon often seen with SEC teams when it comes to crucial decisions like playoff spots.

c) No coach is gonna sit down on Monday evening and think "GREAT! I can go and watch 2 teams that are totally not relevant to me (right now)!". If they're working they'll be doing something that helps them prepare for the next opponent ("Let's watch that game OC X called in 2021 to see if I'm onto something with my suspicion that he has that tendency!" or they'll be spending time with their kids or bang their wives. I think coaches can give you a great reflection on teams on their schedule, but otherwise I am not sure they have the time to care or need to care unless they have a personal interest.

All probably true, but they don't need to watch it to know that, after only one game, the team that beat the other should be ranked higher.

In other words, the votes for the coaches poll are biased, lazy and generally delegated.

Given the number of Clemson drives that died in the redzone last night, I'm not necessarily buying the rationale that Clemson's dynasty is over. Just wait for the FSU game at home on the 23rd.
Duke also turned the ball over. Voters shouldn't be acting like Nub fans trying to apply 1-sided analysis of only one team making plays or mistakes to build a case for bad luck & moral victory.

Back