What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

22-23 Transfer Portal and General Recruiting Catch-All Thread

We’ve been doing the “stars don’t matter” approach for 15 years. Now we’re going to do what everyone else does and fill most of the class with highly coveted talent, then take a few under the radar guys with measurables/speed/attitude in hopes we hit on them

Of course ratings and offers don’t always tell the full sorry. But you can't build a program based on cinderella stories.

Just go check out how many 2/1/0 star programs like Alabama/Georgia/ OSU/Michigan have.
Those programs are also not taking but maybe a couple per year out of the portal. Tape of 20-something year olds vs D2 kids is more meaningful than HS tape. So less Cinderella. HS kids have to be projected to add 50 lbs often enough. Portal is closer to NFL draft, which is still fraught with mistakes. But nothing like taking a 240 LB tackle that’s 17.

And with that said, this is a transition to all elite based on current trajectory.

Last edited:
Of course we don’t want zero star guys. He’s just an example that ratings and offers don’t always tell the full sorry. I look at Oregon State and Washington State, two programs who’ve climbed to fairly sustained P12 respectability recently and it ain’t with 4 and 5 star classes. It’s taking 3 star guys (and some 2s) and coaching them up and running the right scheme for that personnel. Given the fundamental obstacles still in place at CU, even if CP makes a radical shift in culture, I don’t see us consistently getting classes like USC, Oregon, UCLA or even Utah. (And yeah, we may not even be in the P12 soon, but that’s our barometer for now.)
Dude, we are in a new class. We now have a coaching staff who can get the best players in the country to go to Boulder.

Get that old-minded loser stuff out of your brain! We don’t need diamonds in the rough. We don’t need to set our expectations to the level of directionals or schools that have the word “state” in their names.

We have a new president who has cleared the way in admissions. We have donors who are back and ready to pay for a winner led by Coach Prime.

If a marginal player wants to be a part of our program, they can earn a PWO spot at a CU Football Camp or by submitting film to our scouting department.

Trying to mold 2-star and low 3-star JAGs into legit players is what got us into the mess of having 75% of the roster filled with players unsuited for a National Championship caliber team.

Dude, we are in a new class. We now have a coaching staff who can get the best players in the country to go to Boulder.

Get that old-minded loser stuff out of your brain! We don’t need diamonds in the rough. We don’t need to set our expectations to the level of directionals or schools that have the word “state” in their names.

We have a new president who has cleared the way in admissions. We have donors who are back and ready to pay for a winner led by Coach Prime.

If a marginal player wants to be a part of our program, they can earn a PWO spot at a CU Football Camp or by submitting film to our scouting department.

Trying to mold 2-star and low 3-star JAGs into legit players is what got us into the mess of having 75% of the roster filled with players unsuited for a National Championship caliber team.
Ohio State
Louisiana State
Florida State

Just saying 😉

I don't think that Traore would have been signed in the first place if there was an expectation that he'd be like a 6th OL.

But there would have been a demand that a TE would be physical and that any player they have on the team be the type of guy who will do whatever it takes to win & dominate.

I’m still curious what the plan is for a TE in this offense.
I think it's mostly going to be red zone and short yardage use. Prime ran full blown Air Raid at JSU. Lewis's offense has a lot more run balance, but it's still fast break spread.

I think it's mostly going to be red zone and short yardage use. Prime ran full blown Air Raid at JSU. Lewis's offense has a lot more run balance, but it's still fast break spread.
So do you think they’ll need TEs with more blocking ability?

I don't think that Traore would have been signed in the first place if there was an expectation that he'd be like a 6th OL.

But there would have been a demand that a TE would be physical and that any player they have on the team be the type of guy who will do whatever it takes to win & dominate.
I think they hoped he could provide a legit receiving threat from the H back position, but not at the expense of the primary role for that position.

So do you think they’ll need TEs with more blocking ability?
I think Sharpe would be Prime's prototype. He wants the skills to put pressure on a defense, but recognizes that it's a "tough guy" position. Got to be willing to fight a linebacker. If a TE wants to be a WR, we can find 6'4" 215 lb wide receivers to do that more naturally.

I never said we need a team *full* of 2 and 3 stars and mold them into winners. I just posted an interesting rags to riches photo from the draft, in the midst of some discussion on here about ratings and offers.

First off, I like the “burn it down” approach CP is taking, impressed with a few of his signings and I’m cautiously optimistic about the future. That said, I think a lot of people on this board need to pump the brakes on expectations. Prime has changed the culture … for the last 6 months. Let’s see what happens in a year or two before we say he has us totally back to prominence. Even mentioning us aspiring to the level of Ohio State, Alabama or Michigan is absurd. Our administration isn’t as hostile to athletics as it used to be, but it’s nowhere on the level of those powerhouses. The fan base and donor base is still small compared to those blue blood schools. (Selling out the spring game and season tickets is great, but totally an anomaly because of Prime.) Boulder people still by and large don’t care about football. Most of you won’t admit it, but we’d kill to have Washington State level of success the last 10 years. We wouldn’t have cycled through multiple coaches if we had, that’s for sure.

I never said we need a team *full* of 2 and 3 stars and mold them into winners. I just posted an interesting rags to riches photo from the draft, in the midst of some discussion on here about ratings and offers.

First off, I like the “burn it down” approach CP is taking, impressed with a few of his signings and I’m cautiously optimistic about the future. That said, I think a lot of people on this board need to pump the brakes on expectations. Prime has changed the culture … for the last 6 months. Let’s see what happens in a year or two before we say he has us totally back to prominence. Even mentioning us aspiring to the level of Ohio State, Alabama or Michigan is absurd. Our administration isn’t as hostile to athletics as it used to be, but it’s nowhere on the level of those powerhouses. The fan base and donor base is still small compared to those blue blood schools. (Selling out the spring game and season tickets is great, but totally an anomaly because of Prime.) Boulder people still by and large don’t care about football. Most of you won’t admit it, but we’d kill to have Washington State level of success the last 10 years. We wouldn’t have cycled through multiple coaches if we had, that’s for sure.
If you think CP is here to have Washington State level of success, I don't know what to say.

In the end, he might have OSU level of success, he might have WSU level of success, heck, he might even fail miserably here. But you have to aim high, set high expectation, follow high standard, and try your best. CP is not here to do 5 years project to turn CU around as a regular bowl team with occasional 10 win year. It would be a completely waste of time for him.

Yes, in hindsight, under the likes of Dan Hawkins, Jon Embree, Mike MacIntyre, Mel Tucker and Karl Dorrell, we would have loved the WSU success.

This is a once in a generation, holy **** kind of event for a program like CU, though. You can pump the brakes on aspiring to be Alabama or Georgia all you want, but that’s exactly what Prime is trying to build here. So far, the admin support at the highest levels is there for him to do so and the money is following. The only potential limiting factor is geography and his ability to consistently recruit national 4 and 5* kids to Colorado and he obviously doesn’t think that will be much of an issue.

We used to win championships, remember?

Yes, in hindsight, under the likes of Dan Hawkins, Jon Embree, Mike MacIntyre, Mel Tucker and Karl Dorrell, we would have loved the WSU success.

This is a once in a generation, holy **** kind of event for a program like CU, though. You can pump the brakes on aspiring to be Alabama or Georgia all you want, but that’s exactly what Prime is trying to build here. So far, the admin support at the highest levels is there for him to do so and the money is following. The only potential limiting factor is geography and his ability to consistently recruit national 4 and 5* kids to Colorado and he obviously doesn’t think that will be much of an issue.
Yep. Geographically, we're in the middle of the Blue Chip Desert. But when we have a HC who can overcome that along with university commitment, CU has proven it is a Top 10 program. When that's not in place, CU struggles to be a Top 50 program. Very much a sink or swim program. Low floor, high ceiling.

Back