What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

22-23 Transfer Portal and General Recruiting Catch-All Thread

Awful CU DBs have evolved over time. Some say it started with the Jogger, Patrick Mahnke, who would track receivers stride for stride, but 5 yards behind them, into the end zone. 🫡

🏃🏼💨
Who was the tall Safety from the eastern plains? My gawd that dude sucked. FOUND IT - Tom Freakin' Hubbard. :eek: :sick:

Last edited:
Does anyone have an apples to apples (let's say using 247 compost ranking) to put side by side the players we have coming in, recruit or transfer, vs the ones that have left?
I.e:
QB1 In QB1 Out
QB2 In QB2 Out

WR1 In WR1 Out

etc? I could be wrong, but i feel like one for one, the ones we have coming in are better than the ones leaving but I can't sort that kind of data.
I think what you can’t measure with those stats is the fact that all the new players coming in were hand picked by Prime and believe in his system. They’re coming in with some swagger.

It’s not just about comparing the 24/7 ratings. The new CU coaching staff is pulling in guys who fit what they’re looking for and who fit well with what they’re planning on offense and D.

They know what we need and we just gotta trust them.

Would be good to get some young depth at OT.

Yes Yes Yes GIF

I think what you can’t measure with those stats is the fact that all the new players coming in were hand picked by Prime and believe in his system. They’re coming in with some swagger.

It’s not just about comparing the 24/7 ratings. The new CU coaching staff is pulling in guys who fit what they’re looking for and who fit well with what they’re planning on offense and D.

They know what we need and we just gotta trust them.
I 100% get that. I just keep reading that the people CDS is replacing the the outgoing transfers with are worse than what we had, and that the only reason our transfer rating is so high is because a) bouyed by about 3 or 4 players, and 2) because we have so many.
I know it's not true, I can sort make corollaries, but i have no empirical data (i.e the three stars we are losing are in the low 80s, the three stars we are getting are i the mid to high 80s). And i don't feel well, and I don't want to create this chart.

Don’t think this guy will see action for at least a year but who gives a fooook . Excited to see him develop
That's the plan in general. Load up on grad transfers as prospective starters/ 2-deep rotation and then bring in high upside underclassmen and preps to push in the hope that some of them bust out and take some of those jobs. You know, make CU a real program again with depth and competition.

Latest 247 comment on conner

FWIW, Travis Gray is bigger, healthy, had 4 yrs left and rated 0.8500.

I know ratings are as much art as science, but it helps put the pick up in perspective.
I didn't have a problem with Gray. But I think too many people gloss over offer lists with these comparisons. Whatever. I hope Gray finds a great opportunity and that Conner becomes a multi year starter and NFL pick for CU.

I didn't have a problem with Gray. But I think too many people gloss over offer lists with these comparisons. Whatever. I hope Gray finds a great opportunity and that Conner becomes a multi year starter and NFL pick for CU.
I’m just gonna say it, if we are gonna fancy ourselves as a top 10 program, Gray is maybe a walk-on

Gray is the perfect example of what’s wrong with the ratings system. He has everything needed except he’s soft.

With that said we can make the same mistakes again by looking at film. But our OL coach is adept at finding players who exceed their ratings so not at all concerned with his evaluations.

View attachment 60547
I thought this was interesting, given our current situation, and debates over ratings. Dude was the #5 pick in the draft.
It's a mix. Always been true. Can't just be star chasing. It's about evaluation. Good evaluation and recruiting will lean heavily towards blue chips but will also include some guys in a class who aren't on everyone's offer list board.

Again, untrue. For Colorado to compete, we don’t need any zero star players.
Of course we don’t want zero star guys. He’s just an example that ratings and offers don’t always tell the full sorry. I look at Oregon State and Washington State, two programs who’ve climbed to fairly sustained P12 respectability recently and it ain’t with 4 and 5 star classes. It’s taking 3 star guys (and some 2s) and coaching them up and running the right scheme for that personnel. Given the fundamental obstacles still in place at CU, even if CP makes a radical shift in culture, I don’t see us consistently getting classes like USC, Oregon, UCLA or even Utah. (And yeah, we may not even be in the P12 soon, but that’s our barometer for now.)

Of course we don’t want zero star guys. He’s just an example that ratings and offers don’t always tell the full sorry. I look at Oregon State and Washington State, two programs who’ve climbed to fairly sustained P12 respectability recently and it ain’t with 4 and 5 star classes. It’s taking 3 star guys (and some 2s) and coaching them up and running the right scheme for that personnel. Given the fundamental obstacles still in place at CU, even if CP makes a radical shift in culture, I don’t see us consistently getting classes like USC, Oregon, UCLA or even Utah. (And yeah, we may not even be in the P12 soon, but that’s our barometer for now.)
Prime is not trying to emulate either Oregon State or Washington State, and what fundamental obstacles are you referring to?

Of course ratings and offers don’t always tell the full sorry. But you can't build a program based on cinderella stories.

Just go check out how many 2/1/0 star programs like Alabama/Georgia/ OSU/Michigan have.

Back