What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

22-23 Transfer Portal and General Recruiting Catch-All Thread

Generally, the phrase is defined as a cultural vs racial thing. I first became familiar with it in an international business setting.

Took an entire class in b school about the cultural challenges of international business relationships, code switching was a major topic. When a person has to code switch to maintain that relationship, there's a mental and emotional cost that simply isn't there when they build relationships that don't require that.

With the hegemony of US business, Americans don't often have to do it (others have to). When we do have to, we often fail.

With a first introduction in a much less politically charged context honestly made the concept more accessible.

That being said, the concept's application to people moving between black American cultural and white mountain west culture, or white business culture, etc is pertinent.
Pretty sure I took the same class, and I remembered on my first trip to Asia to pack my shoes upside down on, on top of the rest of my stuff, so my bag wouldn’t be searched.

Culturally, blackness is not something Prime is afraid of projecting. Players will need to code switch around the CU campus and in Boulder. But, in the facility, they can feel free to be themselves.
That last sentence is important, and I think represents a recruiting edge that we have not necessarily had before.

The well off videos have struck me as showing conversation patterns, slang, attitudes, etc within Dal Ward, the IPC, and practice fields that I regularly see in DC, but pretty much never see in CO.

Some folks will chafe at the culture they're seeing, and talk about it like it's a negative (I'm looking at a variety of NU fans as an example - but, unfortunately, some Colorado folks as well).

I think it's great. It makes CU better for the players *and* the rest of the student body, the faculty, and the entire Boulder community.

Some folks don't like it.

They can pound sand.

That last sentence is important, and I think represents a recruiting edge that we have not necessarily had before.

The well off videos have struck me as showing conversation patterns, slang, attitudes, etc within Dal Ward, the IPC, and practice fields that I regularly see in DC, but pretty much never see in CO.

Some folks will chafe at the culture they're seeing, and talk about it like it's a negative (I'm looking at a variety of NU fans as an example - but, unfortunately, some Colorado folks as well).

I think it's great. It makes CU better for the players *and* the rest of the student body, the faculty, and the entire Boulder community.

Some folks don't like it.

They can pound sand.
Lack of diversity was one of the cons when I convinced my now wife to move to CO from Chicago when we were ready to get married / start thinking about raising a family. We travel with our daughter as much as possible so she can actually experience diversity.

For all of the haters out there, there are likely as many people in CO that contemplate leaving CO because of this missing component in their lives. In addition to bringing in more diversity, I hope Prime helps keep these folks in CO (and the haters up and leave to Nebraska).

It offends me as a person in an organizational leadership position that the cultural standard at CU would have made it so that the majority of people in the organization had to modify their interactions in a way that made them not able to relax and be themselves.

Organizational culture must be defined to cater to what is going to maximize the attraction, retention and success of the talent you need to achieve your success criteria.

It offends me as a person in an organizational leadership position that the cultural standard at CU would have made it so that the majority of people in the organization had to modify their interactions in a way that made them not able to relax and be themselves.

Organizational culture must be defined to cater to what is going to maximize the attraction, retention and success of the talent you need to achieve your success criteria.
I think that in a football setting especially, the head coach drives most, if not all, of this.

Now, if the overall university and community already has a meaningful space where students/players can, to use your phrase, "be themselves," then it's not necessarily something the coach needs to create.

OTOH, Boulder isn't (yet) such a university, and Prime's apparent immediate success in creating that space really highlights, to me at least, how badly it was needed.

He brought a lot of things we knew we needed. This, I don't think we knew how badly we needed it; again, not just for the football team.

Given all of the above, I honestly cringe at past me who thought Mendenhall would have been a decent hire.

Community college transfer from Minnesota.

The Minnesota College Athletic Conference (MCAC) has released its weekly football athletes of the week awards for the week of September 12 - 18.

Rochester Community & Technical College offensive tackle, Gavin Layton, earned an Offensive Player-of-the-Week honor with his 6 pancake blocks in a win over #5 ranked Minnesota North - Mesabi Range. Layton also did not give up a sack in 54 offensive plays and helped his team rush for 84 yards and 271 total offensive yards, an average of 5.0 yards per play.

So it’s not a performance based transfer?

739fbe44-1700-49fb-88b3-c3976dd5607c_text.gif

You'd expect more maturity from someone entering his 4th year. I never want to judge someone's character on one incident that wasn't even a crime, though. Fortunately, we have coaches who know him well and who have a relationship with the Bama coaches. If CU makes a move or doesn't, it will be a well informed decision.

P.S. Holy offer list! https://247sports.com/Recruitment/Jamil-Burroughs-105968/RecruitInterests/

Coach Prime was back at practice today for the first time since his surgery, and already yelling. Forward to 8:26 of this video for his first appearance, if you want to skip the July 4 party with some of the assistant coaches and their families, good-looking food, and street fireworks.

Back