What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

22-23 Transfer Portal and General Recruiting Catch-All Thread

If you have a spare 13 minutes, this video of the recent team workout is worth it. No one can say that this recently put together team hasn't bonded. There are some real dawgs.

I think all these kids coming into Boulder have an objective, and see the opportunities in front of them that could bring them together, gel, and work as a team pretty quickly.

The want to play at the highest level of CFB.

Playing for CP is an incredible opportunity in itself.

Have the opportunity to create a culture that takes a cellar-dwelling program to a contending player in a couple years.

I think the new rules (coaching change) open the portal back up for any Northwestern football player who wants to leave and they would have immediate eligibility for the 2023 season.

739fbe44-1700-49fb-88b3-c3976dd5607c_text.gif

I'd say more like the 2021 CU team. There were some guys you'd want, but it was about as deep as a normal CO state HS recruiting class.
Plus, NW is kind of like the Stanford of the midwest - a degree from there is pretty valuable in the region. Unless you've got a shot at the league, they're mostly much better off staying put.

I don't know if I should feel excited or disheartened if a a walk-on converting to a new position is the TE our position coach is talking up over the summer.

I'm glad they found him and that he's impressing. Would say a lot about the talent evaluation and coaching ability of this staff if something like this works for the upcoming season. But, damn, it really is depressing to think about how bad our TE room must have been and how little success the coaches had with identifying the right transfer target(s) and signing anyone. I guess I won't have an answer to this until games start and Harrison reveals what he's capable of this season.

Last edited:
I don't know if I should feel excited or disheartened if a a walk-on converting to a new position is the TE our position coach is talking up over the summer.

I'm glad they found him and that he's impressing. Would say a lot about the talent evaluation and coaching ability of this staff if something like this works for the upcoming season. But, damn, it really is depressing to think about how bad our TE room must have been and how little success the coaches had with identify the right transfer target(s) and signing anyone. I guess I won't have an answer to this until games start and Harrison reveals what he's capable of this season.

I always read these stories as

30% signalling that this is one of the walk-ons that is likely to earn a scholarship
70% signalling to the rest of the <position group> that "you guys have more talent, but he's outworking all of you and he's gonna take some of your game snaps if you don't start putting in the effort."

I mean, there's a small chance he's serious and saying this guy could be the #1 TE, but more likely a combination of the above.

I'm glad they found him and that he's impressing. Would say a lot about the talent evaluation and coaching ability of this staff if something like this works for the upcoming season. But, damn, it really is depressing to think about how bad our TE room must have been and how little success the coaches had with identify the right transfer target(s) and signing anyone. I guess I won't have an answer to this until games start and Harrison reveals what he's capable of this season.
I don't think you have to look too far into this, but I guess we will see

This is what happens when you run an offense that uses the TE as a move 6th OL and not a pass catcher. The position has evolved and the elite prospects are big WRs. This offense needs to evolve if they want a legit TE

I always read these stories as

30% signalling that this is one of the walk-ons that is likely to earn a scholarship
70% signalling to the rest of the <position group> that "you guys have more talent, but he's outworking all of you and he's gonna take some of your game snaps if you don't start putting in the effort."

I mean, there's a small chance he's serious and saying this guy could be the #1 TE, but more likely a combination of the above.
Ideally, this is lighting a fire and we'll see one or more of the scholarship TEs seize the opportunity and realize his potential. Meanwhile, Harrison shows out and makes some plays in the passing game for us while earning a scholarship.

I'm interested in seeing the offense as is before evolving just to get a "legit" TE involved.
I had the same thought.

If the offense is humming by playing WRs as your pass catchers with a couple big enough to play from the near slot and also letting your backup OTs play as TEs in short yardage situations, I give zero fvcks if CU ever signs another TE.

This is what happens when you run an offense that uses the TE as a move 6th OL and not a pass catcher. The position has evolved and the elite prospects are big WRs. This offense needs to evolve if they want a legit TE
Iirc they didn’t have elite TEs as the offense dominated the MAC. So maybe an elite TE in THIS offense is quite different?

But the signing of one TE and having him leave quickly and then having an unrecruited kid take high billing is a bad look.

I'm interested in seeing the offense as is before evolving just to get a "legit" TE involved.

I had the same thought.

If the offense is humming by playing WRs as your pass catchers with a couple big enough to play from the near slot and also letting your backup OTs play as TEs in short yardage situations, I give zero fvcks if CU ever signs another TE.
You are both talking about something entirely different. The offense can be elite without a great TE. It also needs to evolve if it wants to attract a legit TE.

You have to watch this video, filmed around 6 years ago, featuring Deion trying to teach Peyton Manning how to be a cornerback at the Cotton Bowl, with a very special appearance from 14 year old Shedeur throwing passes to his dad while Peyton tries to cover.

Back