What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

22-23 Transfer Portal and General Recruiting Catch-All Thread

The only way it makes sense is if what they would have showcased wasn't going to improve their stock.
not sure I agree. I can think of two plausible exceptions:

1. if they didn't believe they'd have an opportunity to showcase at the SG
2. if they perceive openings at other schools exist now that are likely to be filled by someone else if they don't enter the portal immediately

Pretty good bet that Coach Sal's approach has been too hardcore for some of our DL!

Returning players:

Rodman
Baugh
Martin
Williams

Sami
Austin (but if he's truly 240, he's not a DL)

New arrivals:
Payne
Cokes

not sure I agree. I can think of two plausible exceptions:

1. if they didn't believe they'd have an opportunity to showcase at the SG
2. if they perceive openings at other schools exist now that are likely to be filled by someone else if they don't enter the portal immediately
#1 does not at all sound like it would be an issue with how things would be set up. And, frankly, if you're only going to get 5-10 plays it's even easier to play like your hair's on fire.

#2 is a possibility, but we'll know the truth of that if it's legit based on whether any of these guys commit or at least set up visits before Saturday.

I missed the blurt you mention, but I would think that the players looking to transfer probably think their not going to get snaps at the spring game.
In his presser on Monday, when HCP was first asked about players transferring out, he sort of blurted that it thought it was strange to leave before the spring game. Then he walked that back a bit, even saying he was sort of walking that back. lol

In his presser on Monday, when HCP was first asked about players transferring out, he sort of blurted that it thought it was strange to leave before the spring game. Then he walked that back a bit, even saying he was sort of walking that back. lol
There's a level of honesty that isn't for public consumption. I mean, that path of dialogue was leading him to admitting that most of the roster lacked talent and/or drive, that some guys milked minor injuries to spend their practice time in the trainer's room and on the sideline instead of working, that some guys hadn't studied and don't know the new playbook, techniques and terminology, that some guys weren't taking care of their bodies because they eat like crap and party too much, etc. He was smart to walk it back and shut it down. Because it's a very ugly truth and it's a bad look to get into it while also distracting from the focus of what needs to be achieved with guys who can dominate.

Did he walk that back? I remember him initially saying they quit and then walking that back and then went on to question why anyone would leave right before a nationally televised game.

But either way, I agree with his sentiment that he wasn’t sorry to see anyone go.

This was an embarrassingly bad team, so anyone that doesn’t want to fight for a spot leaving is actually a net positive, imo.

There's a level of honesty that isn't for public consumption. I mean, that path of dialogue was leading him to admitting that most of the roster lacked talent and/or drive, that some guys milked minor injuries to spend their practice time in the trainer's room and on the sideline instead of working, that some guys hadn't studied and don't know the new playbook, techniques and terminology, that some guys weren't taking care of their bodies because they eat like crap and party too much, etc. He was smart to walk it back and shut it down. Because it's a very ugly truth and it's a bad look to get into it while also distracting from the focus of what needs to be achieved with guys who can dominate.
i think this is part of what Coach Sal was saying during one of the videos about the wind sprints, if I remember correctly: he said something to the effect of he hadn't ever had a group that looked as out of shape as this group (something like that). I agree with Buffaholic, and I think Coach Sal definitely rubbed some of the players the wrong way; but as Coach Prime has been saying, those are not players that should be, or will be, on this team.

I don't blame the players for leaving. Most of them should have never been recruited for this level. If you are a G5 level talent and offered for a conference and school like CU, you take it. That was poor recruiting and lack of development. But the kids who are leaving now... They heard CP's initial speech, stuck it out and wanted to measure themselves and stick around at CU. Through 2 weeks of practices, they each knew it was time to go, but they gave it an effort that not everyone did in that room after meeting with CP. Props for making an effort. It's also good from the standpoint that they are leaving, not being pushed out through various measures.

Coach Prime called it one day one - most of them would not be here. I think having 10 players from last years roster is too many, we are getting closer to that number. That is stunning to think about how CP is leveraging the system to completely transform the programs talent level and player dedication in 5 months. 🤯

Last edited:
The only way it makes sense is if what they would have showcased wasn't going to improve their stock.
EXACTLY THIS. My guess is they know this or were told straight up you're not good enough to get PT Saturday, so they dipped early. Win/Win for CU either way.

EXACTLY THIS. My guess is they know this or were told straight up you're not good enough to get PT Saturday, so they dipped early. Win/Win for CU either way.
Except… we don’t have enough DL to keep all those guys who are leaving just sitting on the bench for an entire spring game. BUT they certainly would not be running with the One’s—except maybe Rodman.

What I don't want to see is this staff disparage players or the old staff (which I've not seen so far). It's a bad look. It made Scott Frost look awful and it's when I knew, we were in for a few fun years in Lincoln. Nothing says "I'm a fraud" as strongly.

But watching Sal, you can see it's tough love and 100% professional. There's a standard and he ain't changing the standard. And to be fair, this is hitting guys at different stages of their lives and they are in different situations. I think Sami has NFL aspirations. He has a chance to make this an opportunity.

When you got a bunch of game films, I don't think a spring game where you can't hit the QB is going to be a big part of your film package you send to prospective new schools. That would actually be a red flag!

What I don't want to see is this staff disparage players or the old staff (which I've not seen so far). It's a bad look. It made Scott Frost look awful and it's when I knew, we were in for a few fun years in Lincoln. Nothing says "I'm a fraud" as strongly.

But watching Sal, you can see it's tough love and 100% professional. There's a standard and he ain't changing the standard. And to be fair, this is hitting guys at different stages of their lives and they are in different situations. I think Sami has NFL aspirations. He has a chance to make this an opportunity.
The difference is that Frost was throwing holdover players under the bus in post game press conferences as the reason they lost, not making vague statements about the talent level from a 1-11 team during Spring Ball of year one

This is legitimately unprecedented and I couldn’t be happier. We’re not running an f’ing country club. Hallelujah. Prime is handling it perfectly. He was honest right off the bat and isn’t trashing anyone publicly.

Big question is who’s next. Best guess is:
Eckardt - OL
Edwards - OL
Harkey - OL
Austin - DL
Magalei - LB
Williams - LB
Gustav - LB
Grant - LB
Bethel - CB
Taylor - S

That’s 10 and I could see 1-2 WRs leaving and another S/CB. Also, will there be a surprise like Wells, Sami etc?

This is legitimately unprecedented and I couldn’t be happier. We’re not running an f’ing country club. Hallelujah. Prime is handling it perfectly. He was honest right off the bat and isn’t trashing anyone publicly.

Eckardt - OL
Edwards - OL
Harkey - OL
Austin - DL
Magalei - LB
Williams - LB
Gustav - LB
Grant - LB
Bethel - CB
Taylor - S

That’s 10 and I could see 1-2 WRs leaving and another S/CB. Also, will there be a surprise like Wells, Sami etc?
There will always be surprises. But Sunseri praised Sami strongly in his presser, so I would think Sami is committed.

I think he’s been pretty careful about not disparaging players, but discussing what sort of attitude he respects and doesn’t. That’s a—mostly—savy way to talk about the issue.

Coach Sal’s presser today was a riot. He doesn’t even let reporters finish their questions. Talk about “no nonsense.” Good news is he essential said he thinks the light has come on for Sami in the past two practices. That’s a great sign.

When you got a bunch of game films, I don't think a spring game where you can't hit the QB is going to be a big part of your film package you send to prospective new schools. That would actually be a red flag!
It’s not like most of them have any good game film either.

This is the only nationality televised Spring Game on ESPN. They could’ve shown that they belong and are not scared to compete, but just want to transfer for a better opportunity or to play for a better team.

Not even sticking around to show all the hard work you’ve put in for a team after the previous season and spring is a bad look to any potential future team in my book…

It might be harsh to say, but it shows that most of these players didn’t really belong here in the first place.

Eckardt - OL
Edwards - OL
Harkey - OL
Austin - DL
Magalei - LB
Williams - LB
Gustav - LB
Grant - LB
Bethel - CB
Taylor - S

I could see Grant staying. He's a big boy. Could see some time at DE.

Back