What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

247Sports Ranks Every Power 5 Job

I haven't read the full list, but it appears that whoever is compiling it isn't taking geography into account the way many of us would like to; they aren't really thinking of it beyond the extent of access to recruiting. I imagine we would sneak into the 30s, and at least ahead of Arizona and Utah, if location was thought of more as "a place people would like to live" rather than "something that gives access to recruits."

I haven't read the full list, but it appears that whoever is compiling it isn't taking geography into account the way many of us would like to; they aren't really thinking of it beyond the extent of access to recruiting. I imagine we would sneak into the 30s, and at least ahead of Arizona and Utah, if location was thought of more as "a place people would like to live" rather than "something that gives access to recruits."

Access to recruiting is more important in this context. By a good margin too.

My criteria would be twofold:
1. How hard is it to meet fan/school expectations?
2. How much does it pay?

My criteria would be twofold:
1. How hard is it to meet fan/school expectations?
2. How much does it pay?
Pay is definitely a big factor, but You don't think best chance to win, current program prestige, or built in recruiting grounds are big factors?

Pay is definitely a big factor, but You don't think best chance to win, current program prestige, or built in recruiting grounds are big factors?

Depends on whether you're chasing the next job or want a place for the long-term, I guess. If you've got high pay and reasonable expectations (i.e., the Iowa job), it's a pretty cush situation.

Depends on whether you're chasing the next job or want a place for the long-term, I guess. If you've got high pay and reasonable expectations (i.e., the Iowa job), it's a pretty cush situation.
Yeah I guess expectations are the key to everything, but If you were a coach with your pick of any job in the country, which would you pick right now? That should be the question in discussion here.

I didn't say "low expectations."

What I'm pointing to is the distance between expectations and the reality of the situation in regards to recruiting, school support, fan support, prestige, etc. That's a little more nuanced of a question than "high" or "low" expectations.

LSU and Tennessee are great examples where the expectations greatly exceed reality; Wisconsin is a school where their expectations and what a coach can reasonably accomplish are pretty closely aligned. If they all pay the same, I'm taking Wisconsin every time.

I didn't say "low expectations."

What I'm pointing to is the distance between expectations and the reality of the situation in regards to recruiting, school support, fan support, prestige, etc. That's a little more nuanced of a question than "high" or "low" expectations.

LSU and Tennessee are great examples where the expectations greatly exceed reality; Wisconsin is a school where their expectations and what a coach can reasonably accomplish are pretty closely aligned. If they all pay the same, I'm taking Wisconsin every time.
And yet coaches can't wait to get out of Madison

And yet coaches can't wait to get out of Madison

Pay sucks.

There's a different sort of expectations there: that you will run the football team the same way the AD ran the football team when he was the coach.

Admittedly, I forgot about Barry when I posted that.

Iowa or Stanford are probably better examples where expectations are fairly compatible with what is reasonably possible.

I think more than one season will help this ranking. And yes it is also a multitude of other things like our recruiting footprint having to be 2 hr flight and the one year contracts and less money available than most schools above CU.

I hope MikeMac is at CU for a long time, but when his time is finished, I hope the next coach demands a new PR crew as part of taking the job (and I know this is far fetched, but I'm just making a point). There is so much positive with CU athletics to let people know about.

I hope MikeMac is at CU for a long time, but when his time is finished, I hope the next coach demands a new PR crew as part of taking the job (and I know this is far fetched, but I'm just making a point). There is so much positive with CU athletics to let people know about.

Exactly. It sounds like the second Plati botched up the SI story, CU decided to make someone handle all media relations. Plati should never be the media guy. A well spoken, good looking male or female is the image you want. Not Plati's image. I love Plati's work for stats, best I have seen in country, but his media savvy is not good.

There's a different sort of expectations there: that you will run the football team the same way the AD ran the football team when he was the coach.

Admittedly, I forgot about Barry when I posted that.

Iowa or Stanford are probably better examples where expectations are fairly compatible with what is reasonably possible.
I grew up a Badger fan and I've always thought the Alvarez dynamic is strange. The program support statewide is on par with the some of the best in the country, but there's definitely a "do as Barry did" mentality. I can see how that might drive coaches off.

And, because it's the offseason and this place has essentially turned into a politics board, here's 247's top G5 jobs, which includes our sheep ****ing brothers up north.

1. Houston
2. UCF
3. USF
4. Cincinnati
5. Boise State
6. BYU
7. Memphis
8. SMU
9. CSU
10. Temple

9. Colorado State
Pumping $240 million into a stadium renovation alone gets CSU on the list. The facility, which opens for play this fall, appears to be the finest of any among this top 10. It also includes adjacent academic and support space. Isolation from talent is still a drawback, but the facilities will greatly help.

http://247sports.com/Article/What-are-the-best-Group-of-5-jobs-in-football--51407646

I follow VT and Wisconsin closely and can't fathom how Tech is considered a better job.

And, because it's the offseason and this place has essentially turned into a politics board, here's 247's top G5 jobs, which includes our sheep ****ing brothers up north.

1. Houston
2. UCF
3. USF
4. Cincinnati
5. Boise State
6. BYU
7. Memphis
8. SMU
9. CSU
10. Temple

http://247sports.com/Article/What-are-the-best-Group-of-5-jobs-in-football--51407646
Cincy that high only because of their aggressive pursuit of a Big XII bid?

I would've thought Boise was closer to the top of that list.

TCU at #19 seems very high. I also think UCLA is too high. You can make a good argument for switching them and Washington.
Based on actual performance the last 3-5 seasons, I would agree about UCLA, but even though it plays second fiddle to SC, it's still in arguably the largest recruiting hotbed in the country, has a huge brand, biggest apparel deal in history and top notch facilities. I'm not sure about their institutional support, but have to assume it's no better or worse than any of the other top 20 programs on the list. A competent coach would make them a perennial top 5-10 team, IMO.

I also would say you can make a good argument to move Louisville much higher.

Based on actual performance the last 3-5 seasons, I would agree about UCLA, but even though it plays second fiddle to SC, it's still in arguably the largest recruiting hotbed in the country, has a huge brand, biggest apparel deal in history and top notch facilities. I'm not sure about their institutional support, but have to assume it's no better or worse than any of the other top 20 programs on the list. A competent coach would make them a perennial top 5-10 team, IMO.

I just think the job is closer to 20 than it is to 10. I would put it just behind Washington in the Pac-12 hierarchy.

Texas and USC seem low on that list. I guess they're weighing recent success heavily? I'd put Clemson below both of them at least.

Back