What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

247Sports Ranks Every Power 5 Job

I thought Michigan was a little low too.

I'd bet Michigan loses a few points to a lot of the other super elites because their local recruiting isn't great. USC coaches drive by several 5* recruits on their way to work. And Texas has that Texan pride thing going on that helps them a lot.

But honestly, there's a bunch of places that an argument could be made for #1.

I'd bet Michigan loses a few points to a lot of the other super elites because their local recruiting isn't great. USC coaches drive by several 5* recruits on their way to work. And Texas has that Texan pride thing going on that helps them a lot.

But honestly, there's a bunch of places that an argument could be made for #1.
Yeah I could definitely understand that but then they went ahead with Alabama and Ohio state as the top two jobs despite not being in the top four producing states. Ohio state raided Texas and Cali but michigan has done a good job raiding the east coast. I would just say that Michigan has everything Ohio state does but with even more financial backing/resources.

Yeah I could definitely understand that but then they went ahead with Alabama and Ohio state as the top two jobs despite not being in the top four producing states. Ohio state raided Texas and Cali but michigan has done a good job raiding the east coast. I would just say that Michigan has everything Ohio state does but with even more financial backing/resources.
It felt that they justified high rankings for some based on the actual things that make a job great, and then caved on others due to how they are viewed now due to success. Clemson is not a top 3 job in and of itself and I don't think Alabama or Ohio State is either, without Saban and Urban being who they are.

Texas and USC seem low on that list. I guess they're weighing recent success heavily? I'd put Clemson below both of them at least.

I agree on Clemson, but I have a hard time vaulting Texas over any of the other schools ahead of them.

I agree on Clemson, but I have a hard time vaulting Texas over any of the other schools ahead of them.

Due to the politics there? Obviously we all rank things with varying degrees of importance, but when I think of Texas I think of:

-rabid fanbase
-extremely rich recruiting area
-more money than any other AD and they're more willing to spend it on football
-Texan pride thing where Texas, when they aren't ****, can pick and choose who they want

for downside, the boosters are clearly an issue. I can see a case being made for putting them above Oklahoma and FSU maybe, but I think that entire top 9 or so, cases can be made for why they're all pretty equal.

Notre Dame would probably be up in that group too if the admin got their heads out of their asses and stopped trying to be Stanford.

Due to the politics there? Obviously we all rank things with varying degrees of importance, but when I think of Texas I think of:

-rabid fanbase
-extremely rich recruiting area
-more money than any other AD and they're more willing to spend it on football
-Texan pride thing where Texas, when they aren't ****, can pick and choose who they want

for downside, the boosters are clearly an issue. I can see a case being made for putting them above Oklahoma and FSU maybe, but I think that entire top 9 or so, cases can be made for why they're all pretty equal.

Notre Dame would probably be up in that group too if the admin got their heads out of their asses and stopped trying to be Stanford.

I actually think your "Texas pride" point is more of a hindrance than many think. While it obviously makes sense to recruit Texas very hard, it seems like many in and around that program want to make it almost exclusively about recruiting Texas kids. The best programs in the country are not limiting their recruiting reach in the slightest. Hell, Alabama just signed a QB from Hawaii.

You add in the booster culture and what could/should be the best job in America essentially limits itself.

i think my top 5 would look different than their top 5. if you are going on support, history, ability to win, recruiting, etc...

1. alabama. altho just over a decade ago, that wouldn't have been true. they were already elite but they have gone to a new level in terms of support and such.
2. michigan.
3. fsu.
4. usc.
5. texas.

you could probably swap out ohio state and michigan, but i think michigan at least tries to be academically credible while ohio state doesn't bother. so i gave them the nudge. you could also probably swap out florida for florida state on the same reasoning, but i went with fsu because they have won more and have an unwavering commitment to football no matter what. even ohio state engages in some reflection on how badly they cheat once in awhile.

Back