What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

3/16 - NIT discussion thread

I thought the student attendance was great and the were loud and awesome. I'm not a student
Oh okay. I didn't get a chance to go but thought that may have been a reason as to why the attendence was so low.

Just got an email for the cal game. They are on the ball. Tix are the same prices

Not buying the 6200 number, if I had to guess based on early season games it looked way more like 7,500-8,000 mind you the zero tigers fans doesn't help. Parking was pretty full as well, more so than the CsU game, crowd in the building seemed comparable to that one though.

Buffs win 88-74. Offense was good, defense was not. If cu wants to beat cal or ole miss, they won't do it if they play the same defense they played tonight. This should have been a bigger blowout.

CAL did not look good tonight. I was watching both games simultaneously and they didn't have much energy. Both Ole Miss and CAL seemed lackluster.

Cal has some big beef eaters down low, 265 and 245. Hopefully they don't get pushed around. Cal's two guards had 25 and 20. Should be a good match-up of guards on friday.

I didn't see there 245 and 265 pounders. Their big guy got hurt yesterday in practice and is out the rest of the year. CAL seems very small with some average guard play. They are tall but don't seem like a lot of weight.

In other news, watching our backups play was not pretty. A 22 point lead dropped significantly. (to 14, but still was not fun to watch).

Not buying the 6200 number, if I had to guess based on early season games it looked way more like 7,500-8,000 mind you the zero tigers fans doesn't help. Parking was pretty full as well.

You do know that everyone has to walk through a turnstyle right. Oh and neg rep to bohn for not having beer in the club room

You do know that everyone has to walk through a turnstyle right.
Except the students where it just becomes a mass cluster **** as people try to get those scanners to work. Hope for a decent crowd on Friday. I know a bunch of people at the game were trying to re-plan their spring break.

You do know that everyone has to walk through a turnstyle right. Oh and neg rep to bohn for not having beer in the club room

I was feed a line that it is an NCAA/nit rule on the beer, no idea if that is true. Went back and checked the CsU attendance, it was 7250, which seems comparable to the crowd at this game.

Our backups really worry me, oh, for next year. I kind of lost some confidence on Shannon. Maybe this is just his level and that's why he didn't draw much attention in the HS. Really hope our new recruiting can fill this hole, I don't trust either Shannon or Nate, with Cory and Alec's leaving, we need a pure PG to step up and play the game

6200 is low. It was pretty full by halftime. I know they didn't count me. My card didn't work and they just let me through.

I was at the game, 6200 definitely sounds too low.
I agree. Sure looked a lot closer to 8000 to me. Student section was about 80% full by late first half. I thought the crowd was pretty active as well. Couple of times in the first half really tried to get the Buffs going by making a lot of noise after a dunk.

CAL did not look good tonight. I was watching both games simultaneously and they didn't have much energy. Both Ole Miss and CAL seemed lackluster.

I didn't see there 245 and 265 pounders. Their big guy got hurt yesterday in practice and is out the rest of the year. CAL seems very small with some average guard play. They are tall but don't seem like a lot of weight.

In other news, watching our backups play was not pretty. A 22 point lead dropped significantly. (to 14, but still was not fun to watch).

Our biggest guy Markhuri Sanders-Frison dislocated his shoulder in practice and is out for the rest of the season (which is too bad, he's the only senior on the team).

Harper Kamp (our next best forward) had a terrible case of the flu and was off all night and didn't play much. We had a lot of backups in all game.

Our team is thin anyway, so it's a bad time to get thinner. Hopefully Kamp is back up to speed for our game with you guys.

6200, 7200, 8200, either way we didn't sell out so our fans didn't keep up their end of the bargain. I'm really worried when the students aren't there since they do a great job with the noise. I started thinking and I really can't blame them. We can't really expect to build a good fan base by being good/decent once every 5 years or so. We need to build a consistent winner and the fans will start showing up. We will never be a Kansas, but maybe we can be an Oklahoma State.

be interesting to know what the NIT attendance was for Patton's teams.

Old Dominion farce, we play at home. the ball-throwing incident game was Southern Illinois, maybe.....I think Kevin Stallings (now coach at Vandy) was the opposing coach. which, if true, was a mismatch for sure. i like Stallings, he was a guy i thought we could go after when we hired Bz. as a former Vandy student, winning there can't be easy.

it's my guess that attendance is up. i don't often have that, "got my GA ticket, nachos and a beer (for 20$)....sit wherever i want" feeling the last few years (and the beer, part).

I think the way we played down the stretch will give Tad some motivational material. I'd bet he reamed the team out after the game.

I completly agree, that is what I was telling my wife, they played well enough to win against a crappy team, and didnt completly lay down, but they still didnt play as a focused team.

be interesting to know what the NIT attendance was for Patton's teams.

Old Dominion farce, we play at home. the ball-throwing incident game was Southern Illinois, maybe.....I think Kevin Stallings (now coach at Vandy) was the opposing coach. which, if true, was a mismatch for sure. i like Stallings, he was a guy i thought we could go after when we hired Bz. as a former Vandy student, winning there can't be easy.

it's my guess that attendance is up. i don't often have that, "got my GA ticket, nachos and a beer (for 20$)....sit wherever i want" feeling the last few years (and the beer, part).

What year was the Patton Ball throwing incident? Any video or recall of what happened? I think I remember Patton getting 1 Tech, but thats about it, he wasnt very firey on the bench, Bz was worse, but Boyle has a little fire behind him.

I'm glad we got the quick turnaround for the Cal game. Game was going to be Friday, Saturday or Sunday. A lot of students will still be around on Friday. It's tougher for Cal to travel on the short notice. And Cal also has one of its best players struggling with the flu. This set up for us about as well as possible. Now we just need to take care of business.

One interesting tidbit in the Thorburn DC article (in the Newsroom):

"CU, the 1939-40 NIT champion, improved to 9-7 all-time in the tournament."

I never knew that. I guess we're about due for another one.

I'm glad we got the quick turnaround for the Cal game. Game was going to be Friday, Saturday or Sunday. A lot of students will still be around on Friday. It's tougher for Cal to travel on the short notice. And Cal also has one of its best players struggling with the flu. This set up for us about as well as possible. Now we just need to take care of business.

Cal's starting Center( as noted elsewhere) is also done for the year. He's not a tall guy at a 6'7" but he goes 265 and was the leading rebounder on a team that sucks worse than we do at rebounding.

Cal's starting Center( as noted elsewhere) is also done for the year. He's not a tall guy at a 6'7" but he goes 265 and was the leading rebounder on a team that sucks worse than we do at rebounding.

we actually don't suck at rebounding anymore. As soon as we dumped BZ and his stupid system our guys are in a position to make rebounds.

I would have rather been in the big tourney, and I do think we could have won at least a game or two, but I think that this experience will be a positive in the long run for this team. We will miss the seniors and of course Burks if he goes, but overall things are looking up for us. Roberson with another year in the weight room and in off-season development will be a standout, Sharpe has talent but again has things to work on. Mills should have red-shirted this year, if he keeps developing like he did this year he will be an impact player as well, you can't teach 7 foot and athletic.

With the freshman coming in next year and the development of some of the guys we have now this team should be a lot deeper than last year. I like the idea of having a guy like Dufault giving a stablizing force up front off the bench.

For all of these guys the experience of playing tournament basketball with opponents unkown until close to the game, and a one and out situation will help them in the future for the big tourney when we get in.

What year was the Patton Ball throwing incident? Any video or recall of what happened? I think I remember Patton getting 1 Tech, but thats about it, he wasnt very firey on the bench, Bz was worse, but Boyle has a little fire behind him.

don't know off hand, i wanna say it was 98ish? 97,98,99 pretty sure.

Speaking of rebounding (or other stats), the best place to look is the Pomeroy advanced measures. By doing it as a % rather than a raw number, things like pace of play and offensive/defensive fg% don't impact the rebounding stats.

For 2011, out of 345 teams the Buffs ranked #107 in Offensive Rebounding %. We ranked #190 in the OR% our defense allowed. http://kenpom.com/stats.php?s=RankOR_Pct

For 2010, out of 347 teams the Buffs ranked #341 in Offensive Rebounding %. We ranked #335 in the OR% our defense allowed. http://kenpom.com/stats.php?y=2010&s=RankOR_Pct

This is probably the single biggest thing that Boyle and his staff deserve major credit for. Also the players for buying into this.

Back