What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

3rd College Football Poll - Tue, Nov 15 (Buffs #10!!!!)

Where will CU be ranked on Tuesday?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm not sure that UW will be ranked ahead of CU in the CFP tomorrow night.

Non-conference: they beat Rutgers, Portland State and Idaho all at home
Conference: they lost to USC at home by 13

Compare that to CU: beat CSU (neutral), Idaho State at home and lost at Michigan by 17
Conference: lost to USC on the road by 4

They might be ranked ahead of us, but it could definitely go the other way.

I suppose. My thought about that would be though that if they would drop UW that many spots for their first loss (to a damn good team), the Pac isn't getting anyone in the playoff.

I mean, don't get me wrong - loss wise, our resume is pretty damn impressive. Wins wise however, we aren't the best - mostly because of Stanford's early losses and UCLA's struggles - we will need the committee to still think very highly of Utah and UDub to have our resume look as good as a lot of our competition.

It does suck that this Wazzu game is going to be really tough, but if things go the way we want for the rest of the season, that win will be very little help for us. Losing to Eastern Washington and Boise - ****ing Pirate....

I suppose. My thought about that would be though that if they would drop UW that many spots for their first loss (to a damn good team), the Pac isn't getting anyone in the playoff.

As a conference, I think the Pac-12's best non-conference win was over BYU (Utah and UCLA both beat). Other contender would be Cal over Texas. It was a horrible start to the season along with some crappy scheduling.

Losing Sefo against Michigan was a killer, a 17 point loss there doesn't look as impressive as we actually performed (ST notwithstanding) in that game.

So many things need to happen for a CU playoff berth, but the Cubs won the World Series and Donald Trump was elected President, so it's a crazy year.

It's funny - if we played Michigan again, things would be much different - our special teams has gotten so much better and I feel like our defense has improved, too. But I think the case could be easily made that our offense has regressed.

I think it would still be 25/75 that we could win that game, but (barring injury of course) I think it would be much tighter.

Of course, special teams hurt us and Sefo going down probably killed us, but I still wonder what would have happened if Frazier hadn't dropped that TD pass. We would have pulled within 38-35 with an entire quarter to go, and maybe Montez doesn't play so terribly in the 4th.

If we did end up winning out and winning the Pac-12, I could see us finishing 5th - a not the same yet not too different scenario as 2001.

Honestly, if I was anyone in the Pac-12 other than a Utah, CU, or Wazzu fan, I'd be hoping UDub wins out and wins the CCG, because they are the only one with a relatively straight path to the CFP.
This is a little tough since we won't know the exact CFP order until tomorrow night, but let's assume:
  • A&M (finally) and Auburn slip back behind CU.
  • All the rest of the teams in front of CU stay ahead of CU
  • All the teams behind CU stay behind CU
That leaves: Alabama, Clemson, Washington, Michigan, Ohio State, Louisville, Wisconsin, Penn State, Oklahoma.

Let's also assume a scenario where CU wins out.

The CFP committee has said that their top criteria are:
  • Conference Championships won
  • Strength of schedule
  • H2H competition
  • Comparative performance of common teams
  • Other factors (injuries, etc) that have or might impact performance.
Here is what I think:
  • If the committee really values conference championships as much as they say that they do, it's hard for me to imagine that Louisville gets in even if they win out- they won't play in the CCG for their conference. Moreover, their SOS is in the 60s according to various trackers, and not likely to get much stronger. Louisville is probably outside looking in, regardless of what Clemson does (unless they lose out and Louisville somehow wins the ACC).
  • There are 4 teams in the Big10 up there, but that problem probably solves itself:
    • The loser of Michigan-OSU will have two losses and probably gets knocked below CU in this scenario
    • The loser of the CCG will probably be Wisconsin with three losses.
    • PSU will not even have won their division, but their SOS is actually pretty good (although it will take a hit once they play Rutgers and MSU over the coming weeks). Moreover, they got absolutely dismantled by Michigan, which would be the only common team to CU.
  • CU would have H2H against Washington (or have beat WSU twice when UW didn't do it once).
The biggest threats are:
  • Bama somehow steps on their dick in the CCG against someone like Florida. Not likely, but would the committee really leave Alabama OR the winner of the SEC out? Not likely
  • Ohio State beating Michigan, Penn State going to the CCG and losing against Wisconsin- would they really leave out Michigan and Ohio State when they both beat Wisconsin?
  • Conversely, if Bama, Ohio State, Clemson, and Oklahoma all win out, it would be really interesting to see if they'd take a 2 loss Oklahoma team instead of a 2 loss CU team considering who the losses were to.

If Oklahoma won out, that Michigan-Ohio State game gets even bigger. If Michigan wins, Oklahoma's loss to OSU looks even more bad in comparison to CU's loss to Michigan (we lost by less on the road than they did at home).

Another factor with OU's record is what happens in that Louisville-Houston game. If Louisville wins, OU's strength of record takes a hit. They really could use a Houston win, also, from the standpoint of it hanging a 2nd loss on Louisville. Honestly, we CU fans also want Houston to win even with what it does to bump OU's resume.

The AP and coaches' polls playing catch up with the CFP rankings is laughable.

Makes them all but irrelevant after the CFP polls start coming out.

That's exactly what I said last week .. it makes no sense to give two ****s about the other polls once the CFP polls come out.

It's almost like losing to Pedo State helps OSU out by letting them avoid a potentially tough matchup in the CCG.

The committee needs to take that **** into account.

Hmmm ... nubs in 2001 anyone?

voted 10th. can not believe I just typed that? at the beginning of the season, I would have never guessed that. Crazy

You are not alone on that account.

ESPN fails, once again, to mention Colorado as a potential playoff team. Keep winning and people will have no choice but to wake up.
http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...football-playoff-selection-committee-rankings

I was channel surfing last night and caught a segment where 1 espin host talked about CU's resume and dark horse chance for the cfp.

The host then asked Ted Miller who would only talk about udub, and didn't even acknowledge the Buffs.

I so want this team to make all these ****bailer lovin', $ec fellatin', mud mouthed dumb asses, eat a bunch of sewage.

"Oh look, Colorado is posed at #___. How did we miss that?"

I saw Mike Bellotti on some college football show just now. First he predicted WSU would win Saturday. Then he called Colorado the best 2 loss team in the country.

I believe that's called mixed signals.

Back