What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

#8 Colorado Buffaloes v #9 Pitt Panthers - Round of 64 - Orlando, FL - GAME THREAD

The refs called off a two handed set shot at the buzzer that would have given us the win. Bastards!

And they only had poor quality newsreel film to review whether or not we got the shot off in time. Damn lo-tech!

Top-Upsets.png

From CBS Sports

And Ben Mills. Don't forget Ben Mills.

Do we count Ben Mills as the player with the most victories while at CU, or do the victories only go on your resume if you played in the games?

I think the latter. For example, if Spencer comes back next year I wouldn't consider him and Ski to be tied since Ski played in more games due to the injury this year.

Do we count Ben Mills as the player with the most victories while at CU, or do the victories only go on your resume if you played in the games?

I think the latter. For example, if Spencer comes back next year I wouldn't consider him and Ski to be tied since Ski played in more games due to the injury this year.
Agreed, I think you have to have played the game to get the win.

Alright a big Pitt Fan right here I'll give you guys an accurate run down of the 2014 Panthers Squad.

First off the Starting Point Guard James Robinson #0. SOPH What your going to see from Mr. Robinson is a very heady basketball player who knows when to pick his spots. He always seems to make the right play. He has a 4.1 A/TO ratio, he won't turn the ball over at all. He has only had 6 games of multiple turnovers. He won't blow past anybody but he plays at a steady pace all game. Has started every game since arriving at Pitt last year

Playing at the Shooting Guard Position is Lamar Patterson #21 SR He is Pitt's true go to player, he can play any position 1-4 What can I say if Pitt is going to win Thursday, it's going to because of Lamar. He's really improved so much in his 5 years in the program. He's played through a nagging injury on his shooting hand since Mid-February. It's finally seemed to heal and he's looked good. He's best with the ball in his hands. He's shooting a solid 40% from behind the arc and his true value lies in his passing ability. He's the best all around player most of you have never heard of.

Small Forward: Cam Wright #3 JR This is Pitt's best defender. Great athleticism and has matched up most of the time with the opponents best player. Offensively, he's going to run and attack the rim in transition. Not a great outside shooter but has hit the 12-15 footer very consistently. He's a true hustle player who's going to do the little things, such as diving for lose balls making great hustle plays.

Power Forward: Mike Young #2 FR When Michael Young came to Pitt everyone was excited, athletic big who can shoot and battle down low. So far its been all ups and downs more Mike. He's going to shoot his fair share of Jumpers when open but is more of a role player as of now. He's battling a broken bone in his back. He right now is playing through it this season but afterwards is going to have to have surgery.

Center: Talib Zanna #42 SR This is a person who exemplifies the Pitt Program. Come in work hard and make yourself a better player. Right now, Talib is playing some of the best basketball at the right time of his career. Highlighted by his 19 Point 21 Rebounds against UNC. He's a 6'9'' TANK who will play physical and look to dominate the boards. He finishes at a high rate around the hoop. Has shown the ability to shoot up to around 15 feet but usually puts it on the floor and attacks the hoop. As of late he's been the best Free Throw shooter on the team. He's playing like he doesn't want his career to end.

I'll highlight the bench tomorrow morning, it's getting a little late here on the East Coast and best of luck to all of you guys!

Welcome, Panther.

I think you're going to see Xavier Johnson on Lamar Patterson (with either Tre'Shaun Fletcher or Jaron Hopkins picking him up off the bench).

XJ has surprised us by being able to take on assignments like Washington's C.J. Wilcox and shut him down.

That's probably going to be the key matchup.

#2 is the matchup in the post between Josh Scott and Talib Zanna. Scott has forced even frontcourts like Arizona's into double-teaming him this year. But the Buffs aren't always good about knocking down the jump shots those double teams should open.

The biggest thing for CU we're looking for is to play that 2 on 2 even or better and then have Askia Booker deliver his 15 from the guard spot. If that happens, Buffs will be tough to beat.

Pitt's big advantage here is starting 2 seniors and a junior that have been though so many Big East and ACC wars. CU only has 1 upperclassman who gets any minutes (Askia Booker - Jr). Tough draw for the Buffs with such a young team.

I'll go with over, based on how early this started, how anticipated it, and likely a close game.

Tad isn't going to be doing any commercials for the City of Buffalo.

Very impressive, he'll be the first player ever in the history of the program to go to four straight tourneys most likely next year. That would be something.

It be hard enough for CU to compete anywhere with UF, add onto the fact were minus Spencer and the game is in Orlando, it's much tougher. They're in UofA's league and we can't exactly play 40 minutes with them.

Seems pretty low, I could see them being favored substantially, but I'd think it was greater than that.

My reason for the over would have been that you don't know how to use the multi-quote feature. I merged like 5 consecutive posts of yours. If you want to respond to multiple posts, click the "+ button on the bottom right of a post (next to "Reply With Quote) and each post your choose will have a check mark. Then, when you select to reply to the thread, all the quotes will show up in your text box! Tagging you [MENTION=7212]cubuffs85[/MENTION] so you will see this and start using it.

Now I'll call the under.

Welcome, Panther.

I think you're going to see Xavier Johnson on Lamar Patterson (with either Tre'Shaun Fletcher or Jaron Hopkins picking him up off the bench).

XJ has surprised us by being able to take on assignments like Washington's C.J. Wilcox and shut him down.

That's probably going to be the key matchup.

#2 is the matchup in the post between Josh Scott and Talib Zanna. Scott has forced even frontcourts like Arizona's into double-teaming him this year. But the Buffs aren't always good about knocking down the jump shots those double teams should open.

The biggest thing for CU we're looking for is to play that 2 on 2 even or better and then have Askia Booker deliver his 15 from the guard spot. If that happens, Buffs will be tough to beat.

Pitt's big advantage here is starting 2 seniors and a junior that have been though so many Big East and ACC wars. CU only has 1 upperclassman who gets any minutes (Askia Booker - Jr). Tough draw for the Buffs with such a young team.

Pitt is going to double hard in the post. They are a very disciplined defensive team in their rotations off of that double. The one thing the panthers can be beat on though is they don't run people off the 3 pt line very well. That's what killed them in the final 10 minutes against Duke. They hit like 13 threes and that was the down fall of that game. Since then though they've improved but can bother them in stretches during the game.

Pitt is going to double hard in the post. They are a very disciplined defensive team in their rotations off of that double. The one thing the panthers can be beat on though is they don't run people off the 3 pt line very well. That's what killed them in the final 10 minutes against Duke. They hit like 13 threes and that was the down fall of that game. Since then though they've improved but can bother them in stretches during the game.

Total aside, Panther... but I was out of my damn chair last night when I saw the Jerome Lane dunk on the 30 for 30 Requiem. That was so bad ass. (Grew up in NJ and on Big East at the Garden with my Dad every year.)

I think we win or lose based on how XJ plays. Seems like when he's on, CU is nearly impossible to beat. The exception to this was the CSU game, when he was invisible.

This is concerning. I'm not yet convinced of Scott's ability to consistently handle double teams. His production has already been trending down over the last 4 games. We'll need at least 2 of our big 3 to have strong production to have a shot. I'm thinking it's more likely that it will be XJ and Ski.

Pitt is a good passing team, they know how to make the one extra pass. Hitting the boards will be huge. Pitt usually rebounds well but they have been susceptible to getting completely dominated on the glass at times for some reason (I watched VT and NCSU both get rebounds at will)

BENCH BREAKDOWN

At the beginning of the year the Panthers had probably one of the best 6th man in the ACC in Durand Johnson. He ended up tearing his ACL in a game against Wake Forrest. Key injuries is something you guys know about with Dinwiddle. His loss has really hurt the Panthers offensive production. With him all season I would have been expecting a 6 seed, if not better. Now on to the players you will see coming on the bench Thursday. It started out as a 10 man rotation and has wielded it's way down to 8.

PG/SG Josh Newkirk #13 FR
A real change of pace type of player compared to Robinson. He's really improved each and every game this season as a freshman. I'm excited what he brings to the table for his next three years. He's our scoring off the bench. He will look to make aggressive plays on both ends of the floor. Really runs the offense well for a freshman. Shoot's the 3 ball really well just a tad under 44%. Surprisingly though with someone who shoots the three well has had a terrible time at the foul line this year. He shoots an astonishingly low 46%, it's nothing physical with him it is all mental.

SF/PF Jemel Artis #1 FR
Just like fellow freshman Mike Young who starts it's been a year of ups and downs. I love this kids future as a stretch 4 in Pitt's offense as he has a solid jump shot, will shoot it when open. He's a real banger down low for someone who can shoot it as well as him. Defense has been his struggles this year. He rotates poorly on the hedge and gets lost at times. However I have no complaints because he will make up with it with his solid rebounding and hustle plays he can make.

C Derrick Randall #11 JR
Not really much to say about Mr. Randall. Transfer from Rutgers after the Mike Rice scandal. He's big, he's long, and he does his job. He provides Zanna with solid minutes from the bench. Nothing special scores all of his points from put backs and dump offs. Not the most physical guy, however he checks out and grab the boards when needed.

BENCH BREAKDOWN

At the beginning of the year the Panthers had probably one of the best 6th man in the ACC in Durand Johnson. He ended up tearing his ACL in a game against Wake Forrest. Key injuries is something you guys know about with Dinwiddle. His loss has really hurt the Panthers offensive production. With him all season I would have been expecting a 6 seed, if not better. Now on to the players you will see coming on the bench Thursday. It started out as a 10 man rotation and has wielded it's way down to 8.

PG/SG Josh Newkirk #13 FR
A real change of pace type of player compared to Robinson. He's really improved each and every game this season as a freshman. I'm excited what he brings to the table for his next three years. He's our scoring off the bench. He will look to make aggressive plays on both ends of the floor. Really runs the offense well for a freshman. Shoot's the 3 ball really well just a tad under 44%. Surprisingly though with someone who shoots the three well has had a terrible time at the foul line this year. He shoots an astonishingly low 46%, it's nothing physical with him it is all mental.

SF/PF Jemel Artis #1 FR
Just like fellow freshman Mike Young who starts it's been a year of ups and downs. I love this kids future as a stretch 4 in Pitt's offense as he has a solid jump shot, will shoot it when open. He's a real banger down low for someone who can shoot it as well as him. Defense has been his struggles this year. He rotates poorly on the hedge and gets lost at times. However I have no complaints because he will make up with it with his solid rebounding and hustle plays he can make.

C Derrick Randall #11 JR
Not really much to say about Mr. Randall. Transfer from Rutgers after the Mike Rice scandal. He's big, he's long, and he does his job. He provides Zanna with solid minutes from the bench. Nothing special scores all of his points from put backs and dump offs. Not the most physical guy, however he checks out and grab the boards when needed.

Luckily it appears that both of our benches are a bit shallow and both teams will rely heavily on their starters.

In order of likely minutes:

FR Dustin Thomas
FR Jaron Hopkins
FR Tre'Shaun Fletcher
SO Eli Staltzer
SR Ben Mills
FR George King

Dustin Thomas, in my opinion, has really started to figure it out the past few weeks. He is making strong moves inside the arc and is really stepping up his defensive intensity. He is still making bone headed freshman mistakes at times but that is to be expected.

Jaron Hopkins has the athleticism to be an all conference player and I think most of the buff faithful are excited to see his development over the next few years. As it stands right now he is an inconsistent shooter and ball handler, but he is playing some very good defense for a freshman.

Tre'Shaun was probably the most promising of the freshman before he got bit by the cursed floor in Seattle. He has been eased back into his minutes but was able to get some good burn during the Pac-12 Tournament. Good defender, but I think he is still not 100% trusting his knee

Eli Staltzer is hit or miss. There are plays where you ask yourself where he has been all season, and then the next play you realize why he is near the end of the bench. He can at times knock down 3's with some decent accuracy or he can chuck up a layup that goes off the shot clock.

Ben Mills is the crowd favorite. As a 7 footer you would expect a good post presence from Ben, but he never filled in how you would like for his frame. He give 100% effort all the time, but he is mainly used to spell Josh Scott when games get physical.

George King is another hit or miss guy. I think he may have been best served with a redshirt year, but can't change that now. He is a guy that I think will develop into a dangerous 6th or 7th guy by his senior year.

Back