What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

#8 Colorado Buffaloes v #9 Pitt Panthers - Round of 64 - Orlando, FL - GAME THREAD

As part of his preview for all the pac12 teams Adam took a look at this game as well, as you can see this is not a great match up for us:

...So as I noted, my gut thought this was a good matchup. My research doesn’t really support that. First of all, it’s in Orlando. That’s clear across the country for Tad’s crew which is hurdle number one. Secondly, Pittsburgh is efficient on both sides of the ball, a pretty well rounded team. The Buffs, meanwhile, haven’t broken the 1.00 point per possession barrier in more than month...
goes into more detail:
http://pachoops.com/2014/03/half-the-pac-dances-previewing-it-all/

If you look at that and have seen Pitt play you know ee are going the have to play very good basketball to win this game. Everyone expecting to win this game is in for a shock.

As part of his preview for all the pac12 teams Adam took a look at this game as well, as you can see this is not a great match up for us:

goes into more detail:

If you look at that and have seen Pitt play you know ee are going the have to play very good basketball to win this game. Everyone expecting to win this game is in for a shock.

I haven't sensed a lot of optimism for victory 'round these parts ('tini aside, but I kind of like that about him).

goes into more detail:

While I agree the game is a tough matchup because the teams are very close in all statistical categories, I think it will be very close. Pitt seems to like to take their time to score and they make each possession count. On the offense CU is going to have to get out and run. Pitt seems content to have as few possessions in a game as possible, so we are going to have to open the offense up ourselves. If we are forced/choose to play Pitt's game we will lose.

The defensive key is for our Forwards and Center to really disrupt their offense inside the arc. Wes and Scott need to be looking for the block early and often.

goes into more detail:

Besides just blind Buff homers, is anyone really thinking we can just show up and win?

goes into more detail:

Not like this Pitt team hasn't had multiple clunkers

I've seen Pitt play at least 5 times this season. It's an 8/9 NCAA Tournament match up, of course you have to come to play. Pitt is always involved in close games, both against far superior and far lesser competition.

I've seen Pitt play at least 5 times this season. It's an 8/9 NCAA Tournament match up, of course you have to come to play. Pitt is always involved in close games, both against far superior and far lesser competition.
where have I seen that before? hmmm

It will be a tight match up. I would feel a little better if CU had played a little better in the PAC 12 Tourney. I think our inside game is pretty good but we need a little more help on the outside. Booker is the key, IMO.

I haven't seen the details mentioned yet (although this isn't the "Official" thread), but we're on TBS (Thurs. 11:30 MDT) with Brian Anderson, Dan Bonner, Kristine Leahy as announcers.

Team is leaving campus at 2, guessing the flight is around 4:30. Won't have much time to do anything tonight, So i bet Tad will send them to bed and do a walk through type deal tomorrow followed by an afternoon full of practice.

Thomas has shown flashes towards the end of the season, he will need to step up this game. Gordon will need to be an active part of our offense for a change. Can we knock down the open jumper/three? I don't see our defense as being a liability, but we will have to look better on offense; especially helping against the double team.

First of all, it’s in Orlando. That’s clear across the country for Tad’s crew which is hurdle number one.

One comment I don't quite get is this one. Orlando isn't a home field advantage for Pitt.. we are talking about a 2 1/2 hour flight for Pitt vs. a 3 1/2 hour flight for CU. So who cares?

It seems like both teams focus on great defense, but perhaps the difference is we have been more inconsistent on offense of late (well, since we lost Spencer). Perhaps the key will be if one of the guys we don't look to gets hot this game, like Talton did against Cal.

First of all, it’s in Orlando. That’s clear across the country for Tad’s crew which is hurdle number one.

One comment I don't quite get is this one. Orlando isn't a home field advantage for Pitt.. we are talking about a 2 1/2 hour flight for Pitt vs. a 3 1/2 hour flight for CU. So who cares?

It seems like both teams focus on great defense, but perhaps the difference is we have been more inconsistent on offense of late (well, since we lost Spencer). Perhaps the key will be if one of the guys we don't look to gets hot this game, like Talton did against Cal.

2 time zones as opposed to 0 for Pitt. That is where the problem is.

I don't have the breakdown but my guess is there are more snowbirds from Western PA than Colorado in Florida. Orlando is more in the geographic footprint of the ACC(and previously, the Big East) than the Pac-12. It's more favorable for them than us, that's all I'm getting at. It's not exactly a home game for them. It's like if we play them in Spoakane, it be better for us.

2 time zones as opposed to 0 for Pitt. That is where the problem is.

That might be a concern if the game time was really super early, like an 8am MT (but I don't really think so), or if it was a west coast game at 10pm MT.

It's not as if an 11:30 MT start time means the buffs will still be asleep or sluggish.

That might be a concern if the game time was really super early, like an 8am MT (but I don't really think so), or if it was a west coast game at 10pm MT.

It's not as if an 11:30 MT start time means the buffs will still be asleep or sluggish.

Considering how sluggish the team looked at 3:30 MT in both games in Vegas, I do think that the early start is a concern honestly.

I don't have the breakdown but my guess is there are more snowbirds from Western PA than Colorado in Florida. Orlando is more in the geographic footprint of the ACC(and previously, the Big East) than the Pac-12. It's more favorable for them than us, that's all I'm getting at. It's not exactly a home game for them. It's like if we play them in Spoakane, it be better for us.

Oh - your concern is home-team crowd support. Ehh.. not concerned. Small/shrinking population, depressed economy, and they aren't perennial contenders with widespread fan support.

Considering how sluggish the team looked at 3:30 MT in both games in Vegas, I do think that the early start is a concern honestly.

3:30 is an awful start time.. they were probably going into the typical afternoon coma phase you get after having a sandwich for lunch. 11:30 is a high energy time!

Oh - your concern is home-team crowd support. Ehh.. not concerned. Small/shrinking population, depressed economy, and they aren't perennial contenders with widespread fan support.
If I had to say, who does playing in Orlando favor, I would say Pitt. I'm not saying it's a huge home court advantage. Most likely it will be a pretty empty arena until the end of the game when UF start coming in.

If I had to say, who does playing in Orlando favor, I would say Pitt. I'm not saying it's a huge home court advantage. Most likely it will be a pretty empty arena until the end of the game when UF start coming in.

It favors no one in terms of fans. There will be a handful of CU and Pitt fans and some bored Florida fans sitting around.

If anything, it favors us because the start time is right in the afternoon coma time EST. Bet there will be more Buffs fans there. Pittsburgh has a smaller population than Aurora and there's a lot of Penn Staters there.
Ultimately, it means nothing. True neutral court game. Now, their performance on neutral court vs ours is the one thing you could legitimately point at as being in their favor.

This will be like a scrimmage in an empty gymnasium with the early start time. Florida fans will still be jort-gating outside. Hopefully the CU team can find a source of energy if few fans are there to cheer them on. I bet some PAC road games had clearer CU fan support than this will.

This will be like a scrimmage in an empty gymnasium with the early start time. Florida fans will still be jort-gating outside. Hopefully the CU team can find a source of energy if few fans are there to cheer them on. I bet some PAC road games had clearer CU fan support than this will.
If Florida fans come in at the end, that should help us assuming things are close. They would rather face the "bad" team.

With the Florida fans there, it'll favor whichever fanbase has more jorts.

^ The crowds do tend to get into these games if they're competitive. It's usually rooting on the underdogs. Given this is an 8/9 game, the only reason I think that favors us is UF fans wanting to face us as the "weaker" team.

When it comes down to it, this is what you wait for when you start playing as a kid. Tip it off at 430 am, be ready to go and take care of business.

Orlando: Intangibles.

Florida is the vacation destination for the east coast. The likelihood for Pitt's players who have visited Disneyworld or have played AAU tournaments or have friends and relatives with timeshares exists. One of Pitt's players, center Joseph Uchebo went to HS in Florida. Florida is Pitt's California.

Having connections to a location makes a difference. Mills in Milwaukee, Booker/XJ in LA, George King in San Antonio....these scenarios would but more friends and family in the stands and give the players a little extra motivation.

Orlando is neutral in the opening game. It could be worse (Buffalo, NY), and will be should CU advance (Gators). But it could be better, too.

Back