What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

A&M To The SEC Nearly A Done Deal ??

I wonder if it's ever dawned on the folks in Austin that maybe they're the reason everybody wants out of the Big 12.

Has it dawned on you that the folks in Austin couldn't care less what people outside of Texas think?

That's abundantly clear to me. It's never been in question.

And it's precisely that belief, that might ultimately save us from having them as a conference-mate. There are those in decision-making positions at UT that believe they can succeed as an independent. We need to do whatever we can, to feed that belief.

animation2.gif

The SEC has plenty of options outside of an ACC school for the 14th invite.

Missouri, as mentioned is actually a really good candidate. They are just like South Carolina (70,000+ fans show up to watch them beat up on sissies and get their ass handed to them against the rest of the conference), as far as filling out the middle they are a good team to have for the SEC and would provide a better natural rival with Arkansas than LSU does (LSU would rival Texas A&M). They would add a presence into a borderline midwest/southern state that has large metro areas (basically a Kentucky but with twice as many people). Plus there is no "political" pressure from the State of Missouri to stay in the Big 12 or bring any tagalongs.

West Virginia is another great target as they can fly solo, aside from the traditionalists that want the Backyard Brawl to remain an in-conference game. They are a "southern" state that borders Big Ten country and they have proven they can play big boy sports and travel to bowl games (**** half the state already lives in trailers anyway). They would be a more natural rival of Kentucky in all sports and would not hurt the TV ratings at all being a nationally recognized football program for many years.

Louisville doesn't add new markets but with a big stadium and commitment to all sports they certainly have the feel for a good SEC program, not to mention a perfect fit culturally. They bring a great hoops tradition. Not a sexy addition like Florida State, but close in demographics to Clemson without the depth of football tradition, or the difficulty in prying an ACC team away.

I heard an SEC beat writer on the radio yesterday morning and he said he didn't think that FSU or Clemson were likely candidates. FSU because the conference is already in the state and Florida wouldn't go for it, and Clemson, while they fit in perfectly with an SEC profile, simply doesn't carry the clout. He thought that VT or actually UNC were more likely candidates, but I don't see UNC making the jump if they had the chance because they think the ACC is the holy grail of conferences for some stupid reason. I've noticed that the older ACC schools are arrogant and ignorant about how great they view the ACC.

I heard an SEC beat writer on the radio yesterday morning and he said he didn't think that FSU or Clemson were likely candidates. FSU because the conference is already in the state and Florida wouldn't go for it, and Clemson, while they fit in perfectly with an SEC profile, simply doesn't carry the clout. He thought that VT or actually UNC were more likely candidates, but I don't see UNC making the jump if they had the chance because they think the ACC is the holy grail of conferences for some stupid reason. I've noticed that the older ACC schools are arrogant and ignorant about how great they view the ACC.

Yeah the only way UNC to the SEC is possible is if Maryland and Virginia are bailing for the Big Ten, and even then Dukie would be raising such a stink that it would make Baylor look like a mature, well-reasoned adult.

Hmm... I wonder if everyone's ego ends up derailing this at the last minute. It seems like the SEC wants a non-powerhouse Texas school to open up the recruiting pipeline, and A&M thinks that they are important and powerful enough to circumvent the Texas football politico cluster****.

I also wonder that if this happens, if it puts Pac 12 in a strong position with the non-UT Big Tex schools. The Pac could hand-pick 2 more schools without fear of being pressured into taking any schools they don't want to. Outside of UT and OU (maybe KU) there aren't any really good "brands" left in the Big Tex, but faced with the prospect of post Apocalyptic Big Tex and coming into the Pac 12 on the Pac's terms, which would they pick? UT probably picks the Big Tex (or independent), but how about the rest? I MIGHT consider it not a terrible thing if UT came to the Pac 12 without any other Texas schools.

I really, really, really want Mizzou to get left in the cold. Any Baylor, too. The way those two schools acted last summer makes me want them to suffer.

I can agree with your thinking but at the same time I can understan Mizzou's thinking. They knew that CU was likely to leave (and eventually did.) They are not a traditional power but have been decent, at least as accomplished as A&M but under the Texas rule A&M got the preferential treatment for revenue distribution and other things while Mizzou got put in second class status. They really do have more in common with the Big 10 schools than they do with the Big Texas bunch so it is natural that they would want out. Bad luck for them that the Big 10 had and took the option of picking the corn instead.

As to suffering they will make a lot more money but I'm seeing a Mizzou team that loses ISU, KSU, KU, Baylor, Tech off their schedule and replace them with a bunch of SEC schools. At the same time they have always recruited Texas well in part because they promise the Texas recruits a couple of games a year in Texas. With a lot more losses and fewer games in Texas recruiting is going to get harder.

We found out under Hawkins that being a bottom feeder is suffering, Missouri is on their way to finding that out if they go to the SEC.

If SEC adds A&M and Missouri the divisional format would be interesting.

I can't see the SEC ever using a "North/South" alignment as the connotations would run counter to Dixie culture.

But would they stack the East, or go with an ACC hybrid style.

An East/West aligment would only break up the Volunteer-Wildcat "rivalry" which probably means very little in the grand scheme of things:

WESTEAST
L.S.U.Florida
Texas A&MGeorgia
ArkansasAlabama
MissouriTennessee
Ole MissAuburn
Mississippi StateSouth Carolina
KentuckyVanderbilt

That East division would be brutal

Going to 16 with any two of Florida State, Clemson, Virginia Tech, or West Virginia would probably mean the two Bama schools go back to the West, but the East would still be insanely tough.

Billy Luicci of TexAgs said that the SEC can settle at 13 teams for now and the nine B12 schools have declared blood oaths for each other as well. That means the B12 stays intact for now.

Billy Luicci of TexAgs said that the SEC can settle at 13 teams for now and the nine B12 schools have declared blood oaths for each other as well. That means the B12 stays intact for now.

Who the feck is Billy Luicci, and why the hell should I care what he says?

Who the feck is Billy Luicci, and why the hell should I care what he says?

Bio: Billy Liucci is what you would call a "guru" in Texas A&M Athletics. He owns and operates the Maroon & White Report, which is devoted to covering Aggie sports, with an emphasis in recruiting. Not sure you need to care what he says or prints. Sounds like the 'Chipper' for A&M.

Bio: Billy Liucci is what you would call a "guru" in Texas A&M Athletics. He owns and operates the Maroon & White Report, which is devoted to covering Aggie sports, with an emphasis in recruiting. Not sure you need to care what he says or prints. Sounds like the 'Chipper' for A&M.

Wait a minute! That's Coach Franchione's bio too!

Chip & friends actually don't get along very well with Billy Lucci and wouldn't talk to him for a long time - they have had bad blood in the past. Now they will bring him on the radio here every once in a while - always prefaced with a statement about how they are trying to make up haha.

Something to keep in mind with CU alumni and boosters, it was vital that we got to California. But we lost Texas. I believe that's the 2nd largest out-of-state alumni group.

Something to keep in mind with CU alumni and boosters, it was vital that we got to California. But we lost Texas. I believe that's the 2nd largest out-of-state alumni group.

i saw the out-of-state enrollments and alumni broken down by state a couple years ago. texas may not currently be #2, but it was by far the fastest growing. unscientifically, there's a lot more texas kids at CU than i remember on course rosters a decade ago. however, if texas isn't represented in the Pac, i wonder if that trend continues at the same pace.

I find it interesting that State Rep Dan Branch is the token law maker who has been ID'd to mount opposition to A&M's pursuit of a conference change.

Rep. Branch is about as far away from an Aggie hotbed as possible. Branch's district is around SMU, which is an urban/corporate part of the state that is very Non-Aggie.

The only backlash Branch will get from the electorate includes dozens of veterinarians who provide pet care service for UT & SMU graduates and well to do graduates from out of state schools.

Because Dan Branch is an SMU (and Georgetown) graduate, there is plausible deniability that UT, Baylor and TTU are not lobbying Rep Branch to pursue pro B12 interests.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back