What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Advanced Stats and CU - 2016 Edition

Up to #17 in Sagarin's ratings, though somehow 3-5 Ole Miss is still ranked ahead of us at #16.

I'm trying to figure out what that stat means - 23.6% of CU's defensive plays are against an opponent's 1st down, which is the 2nd lowest in the nation?

I'm trying to figure out what that stat means - 23.6% of CU's defensive plays are against an opponent's 1st down, which is the 2nd lowest in the nation?
Defeated is incorrect.
23.6% of plays against Colorado's defense went for first downs in the month of October. Which means, on average, it takes more than 3 downs to get a first down (yes, that's pedantic, but I think it explains how good this stat is. Teams are not getting easy first downs against us, and are more likely to go 3 and out then to get a first down on any particular drive.
That's good.

Michigan's #, btw, was INSANE.

Defeated is incorrect.
23.6% of plays against Colorado's defense went for first downs in the month of October. Which means, on average, it takes more than 3 downs to get a first down (yes, that's pedantic, but I think it explains how good this stat is. Teams are not getting easy first downs against us, and are more likely to go 3 and out then to get a first down on any particular drive.
That's good.

Good work, pal. Take the rest of the day off!

Defeated is incorrect.
That's good.

Thanks! I haven't looked at football advanced stats before, so the whole space is new for me.

Thanks! I haven't looked at football advanced stats before, so the whole space is new for me.
That's really just an odd one put out by solid verbal. Not a "normal" advanced stat, which is why it's so confusing I think

That's really just an odd one put out by solid verbal. Not a "normal" advanced stat, which is why it's so confusing I think

Does your site have "Points Per Possession" (aka, "Points Per Drive")? That seems to be that stat that OCs and DCs are evaluated on these days since it takes uncontrollable factors like pace of play and style of play from the two teams out of the equation while automatically factoring in turnovers. Only thing it doesn't account for is the importance of average starting field position and non-offensive touchdowns as factors in winning. Mirrors the similar stat in basketball, which reigns supreme there as an advanced stat but needs to be bolstered with the stats on possessions per game vs opponent factors such as rebound, steal and turnover rates.

Does anyone have an actual Strength of Schedule ranking for the Buffs? I'm not talking about the SOS "ratings" that some sites put out, but strictly just based on opponents win %? I've tried searching but can't find anything on the major sites.

Defeated is incorrect.
That's good.

An easier way to explain is it is a ratio of first downs given up versus total plays on defense. For Stanford, we gave up 15 first downs on 62 defensive plays so that game alone had a 24.1% Defensive 1st Down Frequency.

It effectively removes unearned first down plays, the first downs after a fielded punt or kickoff or a turnover and only uses earned first downs. Basically like you said, CU doesn't give other teams a first down very often.

UCLA got 14 first downs on 49 snaps yesterday, so off our season average for sure. I would like to know how many we gave them off of penalties.

UCLA got 14 first downs on 49 snaps yesterday, so off our season average for sure. I would like to know how many we gave them off of penalties.
According to Box Score they had 59 offensive snaps.

Total Offense
Yards210
Plays59
Avg. / Play3.6
Fumbles - Lost 1-0
Penalties - Yds. 13-96
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Defeated is incorrect.
That's good.

Imagine how much better Michigan's percentage would be adjusting CU out of their results.

This defense is so damn good.
I enjoy watching our D more than our O. I have so much confidence in that squad! 25 yds rushing and holding them to 210 passing (most of that on a couple big plays/blown coverages). This defense is off the chain good....elite!

Back