What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

All-in-one assistant coach suggestions for CU

How many 2018 assistants will Mel Tucker retain?

• 9 or 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
Everett Whithers was just fired from Texas State. I would love him on staff as LB coach
Known as a recruiter. That's why Butch hired him at UNC and also why he got hired for the tOSU staff. Seems pretty respected as a defensive scheme guy, too. Good call, HQ.

Known as a recruiter. That's why Butch hired him at UNC and also why he got hired for the tOSU staff. Seems pretty respected as a defensive scheme guy, too. Good call, HQ.
Just bored on a Sunday. I'm dreaming of a Dana Holgorsen staff and felt he would be a good fit

Jay Bateman

Current position: Army Defensive Coordinator (5th year)

COACHING EXPERIENCE
2014-pres.: Army West Point (defensive coordinator)
2011-13: Ball State (defensive coordinator/inside linebackers)
2006-10: Elon (defensive coordinator/linebackers)
2005: Lehigh (defensive line)
2004: Richmond (assistant coach)
1999-03: Siena (assistant in 1999; head coach 2000-03
1997-99: Hampden-Sydney College (assistant coach)
CAREER HIGHLIGHTS
• Guided a defense that finished third in the nation in red zone defense and 14th in passing defense in the country in 2017
• The 2016 defensive unit ranked fourth nationally in total defense.
• Named a nominee for the Broyles Award in 2016 for the top assistant coach in the country.
• Responsible for an Army defense that intercepted 11 passes in 2014
• Led the Ball State defense to seventh in the nation in turnovers gained (30) and ninth in turnover margin (+1.0)
• Helped turn around an Elon program that won 14 games in five years to 35 wins in his five seasons
• Directed the fourth-ranked defense nationally in 2009 at Elon, allowing only 248.33 yards per game
• Defense at Lehigh ranked sixth in the nation in 2005

What really got my attention though, was this SI article:
https://www.si.com/nfl/2018/11/14/defensive-schemes-rpos-mike-pettine-packers-naia-grand-view

Well, and the fact that Army, yes Army, held then #5 OU to 21 points and 330 total yards of offense in 4 quarters of football in Norman.

Oklahoma is averaging 575 yards/game on offense, but somehow the Black Knights hold them to 330 and only three touchdowns? (I backed out the overtime yards and points, but even with them: 355 & 28 - damn good showing for what should have been a ridiculously overmatched defense.)

He's been coaching for 20 years, so probably around 42-43 years old. Army is paying him $285k.

Recruiting at service academies is different, so we don't really know how much he can offer there, but if you want an innovative defense - this is it.

obligatory Jamie Christian mention for RB/ST/TE

also Demetrice Martin is at Zona now, so he should definitely be our next DB coach, monster recruiter.

and David Beaty for WR coach. Monster Texas recruiter.

Bateman's done an incredible job at Army. Very innovative and very sound within those concepts. Gets the most out of his talent and then some.

Kingsbury is probably getting fired from Texas Tech, how likely is it that he would find a head coaching gig? Could we somehow get him as OC?

Kingsbury is probably getting fired from Texas Tech, how likely is it that he would find a head coaching gig? Could we somehow get him as OC?
If that happens, the guy who could absolutely raid that staff for whoever he'd want is Holgorsen. Dana coached with a lot of those guys at Houston or TTU. Kingsbury worked under him at Houston, for example.

Speaking of CSU-Pueblo ..... what would be a logical next step for John Wristen? Is an assistant or coordinator be a step back for him or is a SJSU HC type of job his next step ?

Just saw that he's already 56. Maybe CSU-Pueblo is his sweet spot.
Wristen is 56 going on 76. Plus, he wouldn't be able to get it done with players who actually had to go to class.

If that happens, the guy who could absolutely raid that staff for whoever he'd want is Holgorsen. Dana coached with a lot of those guys at Houston or TTU. Kingsbury worked under him at Houston, for example.

The transition from MM to Holgorsen on the offensive side of things could be non-existent in that case.

The transition from MM to Holgorsen on the offensive side of things could be non-existent in that case.
In terms of the talent on the roster fitting the system, yes. Absolutely. But figure we'd be scoring around 40 points per game.

In terms of the talent on the roster fitting the system, yes. Absolutely. But figure we'd be scoring around 40 points per game.

That's why Holsgren is my top pick for CU HC at this point even if Les Miles was available.

Looking to the past is unwise especially since it was in a much different conference than the one we are currently in.

kinda doubt we could get him, but Brandon Streeter for OC/QB coach. QB play at Clemson since he rolled up has been amazing, their recruiting is amazing and he's recruiting coordinator, and I don't think he'll get promoted to OC at Clemson anytime soon. He was an OC in lower ranks at Liberty and then Richmond. Not the big time, but he has at least called plays for several years.

But he's also a homegrown Clemson guy so he might have zero interest in leaving.

kinda doubt we could get him, but Brandon Streeter for OC/QB coach. QB play at Clemson since he rolled up has been amazing, their recruiting is amazing and he's recruiting coordinator, and I don't think he'll get promoted to OC at Clemson anytime soon. He was an OC in lower ranks at Liberty and then Richmond. Not the big time, but he has at least called plays for several years.

But he's also a homegrown Clemson guy so he might have zero interest in leaving.
Liberty raises at least a yellow flag for me. I don't think that old time southern religion plays so well in the western US.

Liberty raises at least a yellow flag for me. I don't think that old time southern religion plays so well in the western US.
I think that this is a leap. He was a coach, not the Director of Theology. Besides, Coach Mac was a religious guy.

I think that this is a leap. He was a coach, not the Director of Theology. Besides, Coach Mac was a religious guy.
I'm not opposed to religious in the least. But it takes a certain kind of religious to work at Liberty. This is the place that hired Baylor's disgraced AD.

You hire Tony Elliott (Clemson's current play caller) or Venables and I bet Streeter would be the logical person to come with them as OC.

We hire Matt Wells he'd probably bring them both with him.....

My dream hire would be Campbell from ISU. I’m assuming that’s a pipe dream so I’m going with Lake as head coach. Assuming that I’d get rid of Roper-qb,Adams-OL, Bernardo-TE, Eliot-DC.

I’d add Jeffrey Faris duke- tight ends.
Aaron Henry NC state-DC.
Brandon Jones Texastech-oline.
Mike Yurcich ok st-qb coach/OC
I’d also move Chev back to wr and recruiting coach.

Ole Miss fired its defensive coordinator, Wesley McGriff last night. He's one hell of a recruiter who has had a lot of big jobs (Baylor, Auburn, Vanderbilt, Miami + NFL stops). Good coach, too, even if things didn't work out this season. I wouldn't want him as a coordinator, but as an AHC/ DB Coach type he'd be really damn good to have on staff.

Back