What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

All-in-one assistant coach suggestions for CU

How many 2018 assistants will Mel Tucker retain?

• 9 or 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
Tee Martin would be a good pickup. If the HC is an offensive guy, he could even be offered the QB/OC. If the HC is a defensive guy, I’d hope to get him as an AC not coordinator he can recruit.
Mark Walters would be a great DC here. It would be a lateral move, but to his alma mater and we could significantly up his pay. Elliot got $700k in 2017 Walters was getting $375.

Tee Martin would be a good pickup. If the HC is an offensive guy, he could even be offered the QB/OC. If the HC is a defensive guy, I’d hope to get him as an AC not coordinator he can recruit.
Mark Walters would be a great DC here. It would be a lateral move, but to his alma mater and we could significantly up his pay. Elliot got $700k in 2017 Walters was getting $375.
Ryan?

Wickline at OL was a significant part of me wanting Holgorsen to come to CU. He’s out if Holgorsen doesn’t come here, but some like him would be great. Our OL has been down too long.

Why would Walters be great here? Is he great there?

Why great? What am I missing?

I appreciate your excitement, but you put way too much stock into former Buffs being the best guys for the job.

He was never a QB coach, though. Martin was a WR coach. Ellis (new WKU OC) was the QB coach.

Why great? What am I missing?

I appreciate your excitement, but you put way too much stock into former Buffs being the best guys for the job.
Look at their record at the end of this year.
They held
Kentucky to 15
Florida to 17
Vandy to 28
Tennessee to 17
Arkansas to 0
With Walters as a first year DC.
I definitely put more stock in former Buffs as coaches then most on this board, but Walters is legit. Especially, considering the cost. Look at his resume. He has coached at Multiple P5 schools and is from our recruiting footprint.

I like Walters, but my first choice for a DC would be to steal DeRuyter. I didn’t think we could afford him. But he only made $300k in 2017. We should definitely make a run at him first.

Last edited:
Look at their record at the end of this year.
They held
Kentucky to 15
Florida to 17
Vandy to 28
Tennessee to 17
Arkansas to 0
With Walters as a first year DC.
I definitely put more stock in former Buffs as coaches then most on this board, but Walters is legit. Especially, considering the cost. Look at his resume. He has coached at Multiple P5 schools and is from our recruiting footprint.

I like Walters, but my first choice for a DC would be to steal DeRuyter. I didn’t think we could afford him. But he only made $300k in 2017. We should definitely make a run at him first.

Missouri is 8th in scoring defense in the SEC. Just average. Most of those teams you are highlighting are not good.

If the next coach is from an offensive background, you cannot give a guy like Walters complete control of the offense.

Missouri is 8th in scoring defense in the SEC. Just average. Most of those teams you are highlighting are not good.

If the next coach is from an offensive background, you cannot give a guy like Walters complete control of the offense.
I looked into Walters more and I would have to agree with you. I still like Walters, but there are better DC candidates out there.
DeRuyter is my first choice unless there is someone similar who already has chemistry with the new HC.

I wouldn't mind if Dan Lanning (OLB coach) came along with Tucker.

"At Sam Houston State, Lanning coached the defensive backs and served as the program’s co-recruiting coordinator, with a special recruiting emphasis on Houston, south Texas and the Lone Star State’s Golden Triangle area......
Lanning spent the 2012 and 2013 seasons on head coach Todd Graham’s staff at Arizona. He began his Sun Devils career as a graduate assistant in 2012, before moving to the on-campus recruiting coordinator/defensive assistant in 2013."

Texas recruiting ties to go along with PAC 12 experience.

https://georgiadogs.com/coaches.aspx?rc=2398&path=football

Any chance Chaney comes with Tucker to be his OC?

Edit: On second thought, I hope he can manage to bring Del McGee.

Last edited:
Who is hearing Cale Gundy name for OC? Does Tucker have a connection with Cale Gundy? I’d be all for. A defense similar to UGA and an offense similar to OU would be pretty good. Gundy is one of OUs top recruiters too.

damn Gundy has been there his entire career, save a short stint at UAB. You'd think if he wants to advance he'll have to go elsewhere to call plays.

Maybe he's content just hanging at OU forever, though.

Gundy makes 500k, Beamer 435k. FWIW

Tucker will be one of the cheaper options as a first time HC, so it really wouldn't surprise me if we could go near a million for the right guy.

Back