What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

All-in-one assistant coach suggestions for CU

How many 2018 assistants will Mel Tucker retain?

• 9 or 10

Results are only viewable after voting.
SIAP, but we have hired Adam Toyoma's replacement for Director of Recruiting.

Cymone George, from Georgia Southern where she was Director of Football Operations the past couple years.
George_2018.jpg

https://twitter.com/cy_notme
https://gseagles.com/coaches.aspx?rc=612&path=football

We also have a new Defensive Analyst, Brian Michalowski. He was Defensive Quality Control at UGA, brought in by Dan Lanning, the OLB coach there.

Michalowski recruited Chicago and the JUCO ranks. He was a GA at Memphis (under Lanning) and prior to that was the Defensive Coordinator at Garden City CC in Kansas. He was DC in the German league for Cologne before that. He'd previously been a GA at Wyoming and was a Recruiting Assistant at ASU for 4 years.
Michalowski_Brian.jpg

https://twitter.com/CoachMikeCU
http://memphistigersfootball.com/CoachingStaff-detail/44/Brian-Michalowski

I love it. Asking over and over, are we doing things in games like we taught on the practice field? And vice versa.

Process.
These guys may be great for all I know. It seems we went and got a big time AC from one of the premier programs and are hiring a bunch of guys nobody has ever heard of to back him up. It just looks weird.

Coach Kap is a huge upgrade. Johnson is an upgrade at OC too. But the others I have my reservations.
I fear that CU is limited by budget and HCMT coaching tree, they could be exactly the guys HCMT wanted.
MMac s downfall was his poor initial staff not recruiting and then, though he upgraded most spots eventually, not changing soon enough. HCMT. Has a better staff than MMac started with, but the expectations are much hirer now. I don’t see this staff out-recruiting the top Pac12 programs. The last two hires should shed more light on the situation.

Coach Kap is a huge upgrade. Johnson is an upgrade at OC too. But the others I have my reservations.
I fear that CU is limited by budget and HCMT coaching tree, they could be exactly the guys HCMT wanted.
MMac s downfall was his poor initial staff not recruiting and then, though he upgraded most spots eventually, not changing soon enough. HCMT. Has a better staff than MMac started with, but the expectations are much hirer now. I don’t see this staff out-recruiting the top Pac12 programs. The last two hires should shed more light on the situation.

Mac's staff was weak overall compared to the rest of the PAC12, and Chev was the best assistant and struggled. Chev and Hagan are now the potential weakest coaches on the new staff that has guys that have actually been responsible for P5 Coordinator positions and top position coaches. I really feel good about this staff and have no reservations at this time because they deserve the chance to work together and be judged after the year.

Mac's staff was weak overall compared to the rest of the PAC12, and Chev was the best assistant and struggled. Chev and Hagan are now the potential weakest coaches on the new staff that has guys that have actually been responsible for P5 Coordinator positions and top position coaches. I really feel good about this staff and have no reservations at this time because they deserve the chance to work together and be judged after the year.

Oh, they'll be judged alright.

We'll see...

His coordinators are guys he's familiar with, which I think is normal for a guy who doesn't have a ton of HC experience. If one of these ACs (regardless of who), struggles like Jim Jeffcoat did here-I expect CMT to dump him long before FHCMM did in that instance. I'm fine with a guy like Summers at DC because I think MT himself is going to be pretty heavily involved on that side of the ball. Jay Johnson is the most accomplished coordinator hire we've had since the McCartney era. Kaplovic is a big upgrade at OL, and Brumbaugh looks like an upgrade at DL (though I thought Drake did a good job last year). The expectations are definitely higher, but let'see what this staff can pull off. Need to get to a bowl in 2019.

Last edited:
His coordinators are guys he's familiar with, which I think is normal for a guy who doesn't have a ton of HC experience. If one of these ACs (regardless of who), struggles like Jim Jeffcoat did here-I expect CMT to dump him long before FHCMM did in that instance. I'm fine with a guy like Summers at DC because I think MT himself is going to be pretty heavily involved on that side of the ball. Jay Johnson is the most accomplished coordinator hire we've had since the McCartney era. Kaplovic is a big upgrade at OL, and Brumbaugh looks like an upgrade at DL (though I thought Drake did a good job last year). The expectations are definitely higher, but let'see what this staff can pull off. Need to get to a bowl in 2019.

Good post but they must recruit much better than last staff. CU sits 10th in pac right now, understandable but they need to finish very strong.

Next year they have to start recruiting in top 5-6 if our master recruiter HC wants to beat USC and Washington.

Good post but they must recruit much better than last staff. CU sits 10th in pac right now, understandable but they need to finish very strong.

Next year they have to start recruiting in top 5-6 if our master recruiter HC wants to beat USC and Washington.

I get the impression you would have complained about anyone CU would have hired. You seem more concerned with setting yourself up to be the, “I told you so,” guy.

These guys may be great for all I know. It seems we went and got a big time AC from one of the premier programs and are hiring a bunch of guys nobody has ever heard of to back him up. It just looks weird.
You know we're talking about a guy hired for the Defensive Analyst position at CU, right? We did not even have "Analyst" jobs in 2018. This is a significant expansion of the support staff that I thought we had all been wanting and hoping for when HCMT was hired?
o_O

I get the impression you would have complained about anyone CU would have hired. You seem more concerned with setting yourself up to be the, “I told you so,” guy.

You seem like someone not to respond to. I've already won the I told you so game with hawkins.

Just recruit and win, we have the master recruiter and these hires aren't what most expected so save the superfan routine.

After the last 15 years you'd think people would be a bit more reserved.

You seem like someone not to respond to. I've already won the I told you so game with hawkins.

Just recruit and win, we have the master recruiter and these hires aren't what most expected so save the superfan routine.

After the last 15 years you'd think people would be a bit more reserved.
May not be what you want but they are realistic hires.

Back